Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

The real S&H Benfica.?....and Laka

Here is how my Benfica(s) from S&H greeted me yesterday as I arrived from 2 days of Gordon setter specialties!

What a fabulous surprise!!

{{gwi:376551}}

And yes....this is truly the darkest red I have (compared to Roma, Red Pearl, and Black Pearl). (sorry it's a little fuzzy...I was too last night)

{{gwi:405321}}

And....Laka didn't do too poorly either!

Here's my little flower...waiting patiently! (Laka is the South Seas goddess who named all the flowers!)

{{gwi:405322}}

And...here's the loot from winning best in show! (it was a single breed specialty - so best of breed = best in show!)

{{gwi:405323}}

:-) scotch and figuring not included (ribbon and etched decanter were her awards).

Still smiling!

K

Comments (12)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

First, congratulations to you and Laka! Well done!

Second, most gorgeous deep, deep red! And you captured it really accurately, which is a feat in itself! It's very lovely! Breeding plans? A selfing, perhaps?

Thank you for sharing! Wonderful photos!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jodi,
    No plans other than a self as the color seems like it would dominate everything.

Thanks for the congrats...it's been quite a day.
    K

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Hiya Kristi,

I was just getting ready to email you to see if you were off somewhere having fun, or up to no good.

The color of Benfica made me expel my breath with a long ooooooooooh! Simply gorgeous.

And Lady Laka has another championship. How cool is that?

I send you both my heartiest congratulations.

Cheers,

Blanca

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Congratulations to the Lovely Laka! What a beauty she is!

Your Benifica ia outstanding as is your photo of it!

• pumas
    15 years ago

Beautimus Hipps and Pupper Laka there,Kristi.Her expression says to me " Are you sure you dont have a Cheeto or something good over there,eh?"
    I'm glad you're having a good time in your venues...Have you seen the Monster Eagle Chick lately? Shazaaaam that kid grows fast! Was there a Gordie to bloom update I am missing? Peace,Mark

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hiya! Yup....eaglet singleton has to be as big as a chicken now. That kid sleeps a lot!! Little white tail feathers look like they are itching to come in!

Laka was saying, "Come just one step closer and I'll give you a big slurp!"...she loves to show...prancy pup! I don't "bait" her...she just likes to show off! Her tail was wagging nonstop in the ring. Of course, me saying softly, "Who loves her baby?" to her made her very happy and I guess the judge noticed.

My feet are still a couple of inches off the ground.

I'll self a bunch of Benfica and give away pods to my pals!
    ;-)
    K

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Some dogs like the spotlight, and some don't... back in the day, when we used to host NABA shows, Minnie hated walking the ring and getting the once over by the judge. Just not her thing, I guess. Pull out a camera and she was off hiding somewhere! Funny creature, she was... but so lovable! In all the time I had her, I think I might have gotten 2 or 3 decent photos.

FUJIMO Bandit, on the other hand, loved the ring and loved the camera... he was the ultimate ham! He also loved the ladies, and was nicknamed "Don Juan". lol!

Laka likes the spotlight. That's a good thing... especially since you both enjoy what you do! Nice decanter, also... ribbons and trophies are cool, but I like the more unusual "trophies"... we did things like hand painted saw blades for Best In Show and Best OF each sex, or handmade beveled glass trophies... always unusual and beautiful.

We weren't much for showing, but the few shows we did host were a lot of fun! I can imagine you'll be floating for a while yet. :-)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Kristi & Laka,

Congratulations!!! you must be so proud, the Benefica & Laka are just gorgeous!

Jan

• jet_ny
    15 years ago

Kristi,Congratulations on both counts, they are very beautiful.

One of my red roma from S&H is also a very dark red. I was back reading and came upon this thread where some characteristic of black beauty has been described such as only 2 flowers per scape and flowers being tubular (trumpet like?) instead of flat and my "red roma" is like that. Does yours also have 2 flowers per scape?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/amaryllishippeastrum/msg102127289252.html

{{gwi:405324}}

It's 6 days later and it has retained it's tubular shape.

{{gwi:405325}}

Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope Jet, mine has the standard 4-5 per scape. I'll post photos tonight. S&H should get lots of complaints from us. While the blooms are lovely, it seems like many of us got the "scraps" at the bottom of the bin! My Minerva and Christmas Gift were not those at all!
    Kristi

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

It does almost seem like they were shipping out anything, just to get rid of their leftovers. If they're going to substitute, it would be nice if they'd let you know first... so you could choose to accept them or not, and take a credit instead.

They're still lovely blooms, and nice bulbs, I'm sure... but that doesn't make it right. I wouldn't have thought a company with their reputation would do this.

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Hey Kristi! Congratulations to you and your beautiful pup. Nice job. Beautiful picture or your bloom, too.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions