Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rene09

Amaryllis dying

rene09
12 years ago

I have lost many of my bulbs to the terrible narcissus fly larvae. I have a rather large collection & this is devastaing!! The Ext. agent suggested a pesticide for them. I have dug all of them up & treated them, will wait & see!!

Comments (5)

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Oh that�s a pitty! I only had once a narcissus fly.
    My treefrogs in the greenhouse are holding them down, i think.
    Hope, You find a way to save the others.
    Best regards
    Frank

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Rene,

So sorry about your bulbs!! I too have had massive losses over the past few years.. well over 20 bulbs..most all but a few were a total loss. One was a pot of 4 papilios all gone..

Last year I used a systemic containing imidacloprid and thought I had solved the problem only to find I had lost as many as the year before..but of course, I had way more bulbs than the previous year so maybe it did help and maybe I didn't apply the poison early enough or often enough..will be more diligent this year and I'm going to be forced to keep many of my non replaceable bulbs in the house this summer..not something I really want to do at all, maybe about 20 or so..

Unfortunately, all I can really offer in my sympathy...

Donna

• anna_in_quebec
    12 years ago

I used to have lots of daffodils and plant more every year. I never knew why they were not naturalizing as is normal, or why they were simply not coming back - until I started growing amaryllis. It was not until I lost many bulbs to the NBF, that I learned it loved daffs too. I learned somewhere on this forum that to save your amaryllis bulbs, while still providing them with a vital outdoor summer holiday - we should wait until after all daffs and such have stopped blooming, reducing the odds of NBF being in your garden, when you do finally take them out. In recent years, I have not lost many bulbs, as I have been taking my hipps outside no earlier than July - I may try mid-June this year since I seem to have next to daffs, sadly.

• rene09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don;t grow daffs, they do not grow here. don't know where I got the nasty things!!!

• npublici
    12 years ago

I live in Pasco County. I grow daffodils,Iris and Hippeastrum in the same area.I have never seen a NBF. I got one bulb from a lady of the Carolinas,which several people said was damaged by NBF,when I put the picture up.It had an entry hole and was rotted in the center.I never saw pupae or fly.I have enough problems without NBF.I feel badly for people having that problem.
    Del

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions