Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Hippeastrum (blossfeldiae x striatum)

bluebonsai101
14 years ago

This is one of the very few hybrids (or Hippeastrum to be honest) I have. I sowed the seed 5 years ago and it bloomed in the basement today:

Hippeastrum (blossfeldiae x striatum)

{{gwi:405583}}

I guess with another few dozen crosses you could remake some of the hybrids out there :o) Dan

Comments (10)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    14 years ago

Very pretty bloom Dan! Wow...5 years!?! Hope you are celebrating tonight! I love the ruffled edges and the colors. Very nice! Congratulations! I have another year (at least) to wait on all the crosses I made last year. Unlike Laurant and his skill at getting a bloom within a year, my crosses take at least 2 years...sometimes 3. I should have several first blooms this year. Guess I'll know in the next month or so. I'm on daily "scape watch"!

Thanks for sharing!
    Kristi

• maisaigon25
    14 years ago

Wow that is the most beautiful amaryllis bloom I ever saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mariava7
    14 years ago

Wohoooooo!!! Beautiful Dan!!! My kind of hippie!!!

Nice flower form and I see that it has more than 2 flowers/scape? That's great too! How big are the flowers?

Welcome to the world of "hybrids" Dan! Isn't this one considered a hybrid already? You see, it's not that bad isn't it? ;-)

Kristi...I hear ya! I got a foot tall scape from one of my "newbie" seedlings. I check it 3 times a day!!! LOL! Took me like 3 years and 8 months..Geeeezzz!!!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm guessing it took 5 years because of gross incompetence to be honest......while I did not kill it, I didn't exactly take a lot of care of it either.....just sort of sits and grows and sometimes even gets watered!! I'm really surprised that you can flower hybrids in 2 years....that is amazing!!

Maria, I'm sure this hybrid has been around longer than I have.....this is just my own attempt at doing it again :o)

I do have another scape on a separate bulb from the original seed so in theory they should be able to cross....would be a 'self' I suppose in the normal way of defining these? If I get seed this way I am happy to share....I also put striatum pollen on this guy so if I get seed I may have some (blossfeldiae x striatum) x striatum seed if anyone wants any......I'll try to remember to post if and when I get seed and then you guys can let me know if you have any interest in them :o) Dan

• mariava7
    14 years ago

Dan...if you cross seedling #1 with seedling #2, that would be "blossfeldiae X striatum A X blossfeldiae X striatum B". Self would be using it's own pollens.

Any of your planned crosses will not guarantee the exact same flowers as the seedlings (parents) have. Sibling cross (F1) and back crossing with the parent could result to F2 seedlings with flowers looking like the F1 seedlings and or blossfeldiae and striatum.

Why not use pollens of this and be adventurous. LOL!!!
    {{gwi:405584}}

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Maria, Yes, you are correct!! Mom and Dad do not look all that different to be honest (Mom is a bigger plant in general of course) so I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between any of the possibilities. I guess when I saw I had some scapes coming I should have watered a few of my others to see if I could get some more scapes coming up and cross a few others, but just not really what I like to do in all honesty as you know. Your various yellows are very pretty by the way :o) Dan

• maisaigon25
    14 years ago

Are you going to name it or just find it's actual name?

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Honestly, I will not do either....I just liked it as a pretty little flower so wanted to share :o) Dan

• amaryllisstudygroup
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,

Unplant a few of the bulbs not blooming but seem the same size and same number of leaves. Lay them on top of the pot without breaking leaves for 5 days. Then replant with only the roots in the soil. Email pics and # of bulbs that bloom.
    Bill
    amstgrp@yahoo.com

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Splendid croos Dan. Mine have been averaging 4-5 years to bloom with somewhat good care. I have been reluctant to name any of my best crosses.... The first one I named after my dear mother. I watered it so much it rotted and died ! :O After all, I suppose Mom did leave me to my own devices on many occasions. :)

Sponsored
More Discussions