Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

Hippie Seeds For South Africa 2011

mariava7
13 years ago

It's that time of the year again.

Please don't throw your precious extra Hippie seeds.

Let's give them a chance to life and make a gardener somewhere happy.

I asked these gardeners how their Hippie seedlings did and if they would like some Hippie seeds this year. Well...here are some of the messages I receievd. And a mailing list that is getting longer. LOL!

"Hi Maria

My hippie seedlings are doing well. I have brought them inside for the winter as our temperature have stated to fall below 0 C.

If you have any seeds over I would like to receive some more, so that I could share them with members of our clivia club." David (Langenhoven Park, South Africa)

" Hi Maria

I would absolutely love to receive some Hippie seeds!

If you still have any available."Patrick (Bloemfontein, South Africa)

"Hi Maria

I have some growing from last year. If you do send to SA i will distribute this year if you need someone.

I would like some seed again if spare as last year was the trial growing run." Eddie (Gauteng, South Africa)

"Hi Maria,

YES I would like some more if possible. The seeds I got from you previously are all doing exceptionaly well. I had 100% germination but have since lost two seedlings. I have already repotted into individual pots and average leaf lenghts are 22 cm." Bennie (Beauford West, South Africa)

"Hi Maria

After telling some of my friends about the Hippie seeds from the USA they have all shown interest.

So if it not a problem I would appreciate some more seeds.

Some of the seeds you sent me last year have germinated and they are about 4 inches tall" LeRoy (Cresta, South Africa)

"Maria

I would love to have some Hippie seed." Bill(Rayton, South Africa)

"morning Maria

ihave about 30 plants of last years seeds up and going nicely thanks

i whould like some more pleasethankyou very much" Mike (Pretoria, South Africa)

Let's share our blessings...

Here is a link to the 2010 "Sharings".

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 Hippie Seeds for South Africa

Comments (39)

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Maria,

I certainly have extra seeds to share do you have a deadline for sending you seeds as some of my bulbs have seed pods ripening on them. I also am in the middle of a move so cleaning out my hippi seed drawer will be easy to do.

AJ

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I posted in the other thread but I do have seeds to share. Now that I think about it, I might have some Red Lion x Minerva too. I'm new to the breeding game so my crosses are pretty common. But you say they'd like them anyway?

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

I was one of the beneficiaries in 2010... :) I got a bit poor germination solely due to my lack of experience, two plants survived and they are right now pups producing machines...
    Thank you Maria... :)

Izhar

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Basically...I send them a "mix"...50 seeds per packet. So for those who have open pollinated ones or just have no time to individually name and pack their seeds, just send them as they are..."Mixed Seeds". They highly appreciate anything.

"IF" I receive named seed crosses, I distribute them to the each seed packet so most of them would get some of it.
    When I have time, I get a few seeds from here and there of the named seed crosses and try to make a mix for them that would hopefully have a variety of results.

Some of them have "little requests"...green flower, yellow flower, double, white, exotic/cybister. If I have them available, this I send them seperate from their mixed seeds. The number of seeds depends on how much of the requested seeds are available. Sombody last year requested "doubles" and Del sent me TONS of seeds from his doubles. So this gardener got 50 doubles seeds. Another requested for a cybister, I got to send him 5 seeds of a cybister cross.

So anything will be ok...named or not. Or if you know any of the parent, like open pollinated ones, just write the name of the pod parent.

AJ...If I remember right, I think I sent 3-4 batches of seeds to SA and one to AU last year. So anytime you guys get to send me your seeds and I have enough to cover the current requests, I send them over there. I usually send 500 seeds per batch.

Izhar...Try and try until you succeed. Learn and enjoy along the way.

NOTE: I have a new mailing addy. Finally we got 911. LOL! Please contact me for this.

• radarcontactlost
    12 years ago

Count me in. I've got bags of seeds that I can't bear to throw away and yet have already planted enough. Message me with the address details and I'd be happy to share. I've got some ripening that should be fresh out of the pod when I get home!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just received this message...

"Dear Maria,
    The seed you sent last year resulted in 12 strong seedlings. Thank you, I can hardly wait for them to flower. Another batch of seed would be very well.
    I have a batch of Scadoxis miultiflorus seed almost ripe. would you and your friends be interested in some?" Brian (South Africa)

Here's a pic of Scadoxus Multiflorus flowering in Thailand.

{{gwi:405597}}

Anybody interested in some of these seeds and grow some "virus free" ones?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Maria,

Yes! I am going to have lots of hippi seeds for you, and I would love a few Scadoxis miultiflorus seeds if any do come your way.

Also, do you think any of those in the Clivia Club would be willing to send clivia seeds back this direction? I have had no success with the five I had and would like to give it one more try.

Thanks for all you do!
    Carol

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Carol!

Thanks for ALWAYS supporting this venture.
    I'll accept the offer for Scadoxus multiflorus seeds then. I tried growing bulbs of these I imported from Thailand and they didn't quite do so well here in my growing conditions. Hopefully they'd like FL better.

Now I will make sure you get clivia seeds. PROMISE!!!

• dizzy77
    12 years ago

Hi Maria,
    Will you be sending a pack to Australia this year? I would love to be on your list to receive some seeds if you are.
    My seedlings from last year are thriving and I'm really excited by their growth!
    And if you need somebody to distribute them here in Au I would be happy to take on that job again.

A big Hello to all forum members!! I am still around but have become more of a viewer, enjoying all your lovely pics.
    Thanks
    Di

12 years ago

Maria, would you please send me the new mailing address.

Thanks!
    Carol

• kinghaven
    12 years ago

I need your address again so i can send you seeds this year. I still have alot and need to find them new homes.

• brownest_thumb
    12 years ago

I've gotten bit by the amaryllis bug recently, and would love to give a shot at growing them from seed. Does anyone have any extra seeds? Thanks, Elijah.

12 years ago

Elijah, your profile is set up with no email.

• brownest_thumb
    12 years ago

woops, fixed that, thanks!

• cindeea
    12 years ago

Maria-I didn't do much crossings this year, however, you know I always have a fat cache of common red lions and such for you, my dear. Please email me you addy as I lost my address book. Love ya!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heeeyyyyy! Nice seeing "familiar faces" pop up in this thread! Love ya guys!!!

Elijah...If nobody's sending you some, contact me with your mailing info.

I gotcha Dizzy and will contact you about the AU shipment.
    Peter, our seed mentor in South Africa, likewise has volunteered to do this "seasonal job" again this year.

Many, many thanks as always to you guys for sharing your blessings. Give those Hippie seeds stuck in your fridge, containers, bowls, ziploc baggies a chance in life and make a gardener somewhere happy.

If you can't plant em...share em!!!

A favorite of mine reblooms right after those tornado and hail warnings! Hope you all down south are safe and spared.

{{gwi:405598}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Maria, if you are arranging a swap for Hippi vs Scadoxus Multiflorus ...count me in! Will email you off list.
    Kristi

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kristi!

The Scadoxus Multiflorus seeds from SA are FREE for anybody interested in them. No swaps needed.

I'll send you some once I receive them. Ok?

12 years ago

Maria, I am sending some seeds Elija and a big pack to you for the South Africa distribution.

Carol

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I'll be sending some seeds to Elijah also in about a week, he should be inundated...

Donna

• quail
    12 years ago

Don't have any seeds at this time. But sounds like a neat idea. For future reference, when seeds are ready to harvest, what is the best way to save them? With the exception of the time I didn't plant seeds right away due to pending termite tenting, I've always planted them right away. The two batches of seeds that didn't get planted right away had poor germination rates (0 from one batch and only 6 from the other). So any tips you could share would be appreciated. Thanks! And hope to be able to contribute some seeds for this cause at some point in the future.
    Michelle

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Michelle! I just air dry them out for like a week and then place them in tiny ziploc baggies and pitch them in my fridge's veggie compartment (40-45F). They can last for almost a year this way. Of course the germination of fresh harvested ones would always be best with stronger seedlings.

What's nice with Hippies is their seedpods ripen in 5-8 weeks only. Clivias take at least 6 months, 8 months average.

I received tigerdawn and Donna's seeds this week. Thanks bunches guys!

Happy Mommy's Day to you all!

• quail
    12 years ago

Hi, Maria.
    Thanks for the info. However, I'd be hesitant to put the seeds in our veggie compartment since veggies occasionally freeze in there. How cold can hippie seeds be safely stored at?
    Michelle

• ocb2020
    12 years ago

I'm interested to exchange seed too but my Amaryllis's pods are not ripe yet. This is my year of growing Amaryllis and really amaze with the flower.

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Michelle...I have no idea the minimum temps the seeds can take. 40F is what I have tried and tested ok.

AJ...Received you LOADS of Hippie seeds. Nice crosses too girlfriend! Thanks a lot!

Radarcontactlost...I did contacted you through here (GW), just wanted to be sure if you received my message?

• dizzy77
    12 years ago

Thanks Maria,
    That would be great. I think this year, I will just get the mailing list with addresses of you and do one trip to the post office. Last year was a bit messy, waiting for people to send SSAE. It only cost 55cents for a stamp and there wasn't that many on your list.

12 years ago

Maria, I put a package of seeds in the mail to you this morning. I hope you have them on Saturday (?)!

Carol

12 years ago

Elijah, your seeds went in the mail today, too! Hope yours arrive by Saturday, too!

Carol

• ajsblu_eyes
    12 years ago

Maria glad to hear you got the seeds. Not all the seeds are super fresh but they deserve a chance to grow none the less. I will have more seeds for you before to long as more pods ripen and I pollinate more flowers.

AJ

12 years ago

I'm pollenating more too, I've got about 6 blooming now or just about to bloom..and some are doubles, so they should be interesting. I have a Samba about to bloom. When I got my Samba last year, they sent me 2 of them and I gave one to my Dad. His Samba when it blooms has been the talk of the neighborhood! I selfed a couple of his blooms and the resulting seeds were huge. I only soaked about 10 of them and all germinated FAST and grew these enormous roots and enormous leaves in the water!! Samba seems to produce highly vigorous seeds on steroids. Any suggestions as to what I should dab on her? I will have (all fresh pollen) Dancing Queen, Alfresco, Jasmine and Maquire's Envy.I also have some fairly fresh pollen of a large white I swipped from a store (Pollen only).

I have dabbed Dancing Queen on Minerva, after seeing HippieZeps gorgeous results using those two flowers..

Anyway, the pollenating goes on.....just so glad to have a place to unload the seeds!!

Donna

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good beautiful Sunday morning to all!

Just reporting that I received seeds from a fellow Hippie gardener from Graniteville, PA. Thank you very much!

Pollination tips:

Avoid crosses of red/red white X red red/white unless you want more reds and red/whites. But if you are going for the markings like dots and veins, cross "like with like".
    Ex: Dotted X dotted, veined X veined, picotee X picotee

I just pollinated my good old Charisma with Flamenco Queen pollens here. Good old reliable Charisma is now sooooo pregnant. LOL! It is such a giver.

Try to produce other colors or combinations : red/white X green , red/white X fully double "performers"(Dancing Queen, Alfresco, Nymph)

IF you have a choice, try to use robust performers as parent/parents. We don't need more finicky, sickly, non performing Hippies. What's the use of a Hippie with pretty flowers that will only bloom once/twice and then go to the trash bin???

Hope this helps.
    Happy pollinating to all!!!

• radarcontactlost
    12 years ago

Maria

I got your message but I seemed to have misplaced it. I have been out of communication since I'm out of town with hardly any Internet access. If it's not too late I will be home this weekend and I can send something out. Please fill me in on the details again. Sorry.

Jason

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just an update on this everyone.

I finally got to send out the first batch of seeds today to South Africa. 800 Hippie seeds total.
    I will be working on the Hippie seeds for Australia in the next days. After the AU shipment is sent out, I will again work on the second batch of seeds for South Africa.
    Some of your seeds will be distributed to a few garden clubs there. Thank you all so much for your generous constributions.

Hope you all are having a great week.
    Keep cool everyone!!!

{{gwi:405599}}

• retsec
    12 years ago

I have some mixed amaryllis seed I could send if you are still collecting them. Let me know where to send. Did you get the scadoxis Multiflorus seed and if so, do you have extras? I would love to try them and also some clivia seed if available. Let me know.

12 years ago

Maria,

In a couple of weeks I will have more crosses to send you as I finish up with this year's blooming. I have about 6 pods about 3/4 of the way to maturity..and, I have some leftover Estrella seeds (x FairyTale and a large white) and a whole pod of selfed Charisma that just popped today. A few Dancing Queen crosses also..one of which is on Samba with a pod about the size of an egg...

Donna

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hellooooooooo!!!
    Hope everyone is handling this heat quite well!

UPDATE on these seeds...

Received your seeds Donna just in time for the second shipment to SA. Am also forgeting to acknowledge Carol's lovely deep red/"NOT Pink" Hippie seeds....hundreds of them. Sent are 15 packets of 70 mixed seeds each. Some I had to place in more "exotic seeds" as per request.

I still got a few requests here and there to take care of.
    DIZZY... There were not much cybister seeds received but I am just now harvesting my own crosses. So give me more time and I'll send you some.

ARIF...Working on your yellow seeds right now. Pray with me my dear friend. Lots of aborting and rotting seedpods here! Too hot and humid!

Some rebloomers...

{{gwi:405600}}

{{gwi:405601}}

{{gwi:405602}}

{{gwi:405603}}

Scadoxus seeds were harvested and will be sent hopefully soon. Clivia seeds will also be sent soon. If we get lucky, we might receive C. robusta seeds also.
    {{gwi:405604}}

Please don't contact me now for these seeds. I will post an update in this thread once I receive the seeds and are ready to be posted.

You all have a wonderful 4th of July!!!!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just mailed out 140 seeds to AU yesterday. And a Garden Club there just contacted me requesting seeds.

Martin of South Africa is offering "Snail Vine" seeds. I think it is Vigna Caracala? I don't grow these but if any of you are interested in them, I'll accept his offer.

Any other seeds you guys want me to request besides clivia and the scadoxus? I would not want to just accept gift seeds that we would not be able to plant.

Flower for today...
    H. Moonshine reblooms.
    {{gwi:405605}}

• dizzy77
    12 years ago

Hi There!
    Maria, You know that I am grateful for any seeds that I receive from you guys, Thanks.
    There is no rush to get them, we have nearly another 2 months of winter here so I wouldn't be starting any seeds any time soon.

Thanks again
    Di

• mariava7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I gotcha Dizzy!!!

I did request some seeds of any of their Amaryllids in South Africa that they can share with you all.

I received these 4 seeds of Cryptostephanus vansonii from one of your South African gardening friends. Anybody wants to try them please contact me.

{{gwi:405606}}

Sponsored
More Discussions