Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

fungus gnat tip

I've managed to raise some healthy fungus gnats in some moss that I am using to sprout some seeds. I wondered if my "cure-all" trap for fruit flies would work on reducing the number of gnats, and they seem to have fallen for it, quite literally!

I take a small dish, put a little liquid dish soap (for handwashing dishes) in the dish and add water to create a nice foam. Then add just a dash of apple cider vinegar and...dinner is served (to the gnats).

I think they are attracted by the smell of the vinegar and get trapped by the foam and the water. I set out a dish this morning and caught at least 12 by the time I returned home from work.

When the bubbles disappear, I just whip up some more in the same dish/same solution, with a fork.

On a side note, if anyone is struggling with snails in the garden, sink a pie tin level with the ground, and put in about 6 oz of beer (drink the rest!)....the snails will have a wild party, fall in and drown. And, it's not too harmful if a cat or dog should find it and drink some (not like snail bait).

HAPPY PEST ELIMINATING!!
K

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions