Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Minerva bud or some exciting mislabeled?

Posted by BunnyNomNom 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 20:59

Recently I got these huge 40+ mother bulbs from Park Seeds labeled as Minerva and I've been intently watching these bulbs putting up 2,3 strong scapes. Today I was peeling back the outer layer to peek at the inside bud counts and notice these surprising dark chocolate lines on the buds. The buds don't look very Minerva to me but somewhat similar to the Exotic Star that just bloomed! Well, not quite, the bud isn't as long and slim like ES. I am very curious if this might be some wonderful mislabeled bulbs? . Maybe you bud-watchers out there can tell me what it is?

My

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Minerva bud or some exciting mislabeled?

A close up of that bud.

o

i think it isn't an minerva, because an minerva has red on the outside of the bloom and white inside, this looks like it is inverse.

o

My,

I'm not sure as the colors on buds can change drastically as the color deepens.

But, whatever you've got there it looks like a real super bud producer..do I see 6 buds or more?? They look extremely healthy and I can't wait to see what you've got either!!

Please post as the buds come along...sometimes mislabeled bulbs can yield some great surprises!

Donna

o

Hi Snarfie and Donna,

Yes, this bulb is sending up lots of blooms. I counted 5 and 6 buds for the 2 scapes. Some bulbs of this kind are sending up 3 scapes!

And it is definitely not a Minerva, but something I have no idea of. Maybe you can help ID this one?

o

wow that is nice got ant to spare I love it well done and happy growing danny

o

My,

I suppose it could be Ambiance but there is another one that looks similar too but the name escapes me. Here is my Ambiance and it has a thin red picotee edge does yours? If not, if may be the one I can't think of..

Donna

o

The other one I was thinking off was Amorice. Here is a picture from the internet. See if you think this might be it...

Here is a link that might be useful: amorice

o

Whatever it is, I think it is prettier than Minerva! -Tina

o

Hah I think it reminds me of my mislabel Minerva you noticed Donna a few days ago.

Rob

o

hippeastrum vittatum?

o

Thanks, Donna. I think you were right that it could be Ambience. I took some more pictures of new blooms and they have a little bit more red, but nowhere near as red as yours, Donna. Maybe this is their first year blooming and stressed from not having much roots yet. Hopefully next year.
Ambience 1

Although I also like this whiter variation on the other bulb as it ages:
Ambience 2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here