Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o

Posted by StephanieJohnson 9 - Central Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 21:51

Hello everyone!
This is my first post as a new grower of hippies (hey, I'm picking up the lingo quick, I think!)

Last year, I rescued two hippie plants from a neighboor who died unexpectedly. I decided to plant them outside and ended up splitting them into five plants. I'm happy to report that three of them bloomed this year! And the seed production has been really good!

I think this is great way to always remember my neighbor each year when the plants bloom.

I think I'm ready to begin to branch out and try different seeds. So, how do I do that? I've noticed that some of the seed exchanges (or give aways) are for all different kinds of seeds and I know I'm not ready for that (yet), just hippies for now please and others don't want to be contacted. I sure don't want to inadvertantly offend anyone! Can you give me any good suggestions for getting started?

Thanks!
Stephanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie

Welcome Stephanie,

I am sort of new to hippies myself. I'm sure other more experienced hippie growers would be more than willing to offer advice and assistance.

o

I would start by maybe buying some of the Hippeastrum bulbs they sell for the holidays as seed never comes true to type *unless it's a specie*. There are hundreds of hybrids in all different colors, sizes and shapes! It's really fun to grow the different ones and cross your own and grow the seed ;)

If you are really interested in seed crosses occasionally some of us have excess that we may share. You can try ebay, just search for Hippeastrum and you get a good amount of results for seed or bulbs!

Welcome!

By the way, we LOVE to see pictures ;)
Josh

o

Thanks Triniguy!

Thanks Josh! Thanks for the tips. Ebay has some great selections, thanks!

If anyone has any extra seeds that they'd just love to give away, please let me know! :)

o

Something tells me that now is not the time to find bulbs in local stores/nurseries/etc... So, when is the best time?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here