Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cronin crosses?

Posted by kaboehm 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 21:59

Subject line is supposed to be CRINUM CROSSES!! Don't know when/how it changed!!
------
I know I've seen Crinum crosses somewhere. Does anyone know if it's possible to put Crinum pollen on a Hippeastrum hybrid, and get fertile seed?

Thanks!
Kristi

PS.... Read attached article. Why am I still thinking this "should" work!! Ok... Seems doubtful now, but still may throw some pollen around just for kicks! Can't succeed if I don't at least try!

Here is a link that might be useful: 1906 article

This post was edited by kaboehm on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 22:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cronin crosses?

Kristi,

Given the use of an in-vitro culture technique, specifically embryo rescue, this intergeneric cross involving members of the Amaryllidaceae is possible. If memory serves, the cross was successfully made several decades ago. However, the intergeneric hybrids produced flowers that were far less than pleasing.

-Blanca

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 5:44

Oh, another Article from "bulbn'rose". Can't help giggling  photo aetsch.gif Lord forgive me...

o

Sorry Hans-Werner,

It was what I found on Google with a photo. Seemed a little odd to me too.

They said that the cross was not successful; however, the pollen had some influence on the bloom. I don't understand how pollen can have "some" influence!

Glad it made you laugh!! I'm sure it wouldn't stand up to the peer reviews we are used to!
K

o

I know Crinums have been crossed succesfully with Amaryllis belladonna producing Amarcrinums, but this doesn't answer your question. I'm sorry can't be of any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: pacific bulb society: amarcrinum hybrids

This post was edited by lenanen on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 8:11

o

Kristi,
Alan Meerow has done extensive work on the genetics of Amaryllidaceae family to determine the relatedness of the genera within the family. His work shows that Hippeastrum and Crinum are quite distantly related within the family. Within this family, Hippeastrum is in the Hippeastreae tribe, which also includes Habranthus, Sprekelia, Zephyranthes, and Rhodophiala. There is a much greater genetic differences between these and the tribe Amaryllideae, which includes Amaryllis, Nerine, Crinum, and other (mostly African) genera. Since these genera are closely related to each other, there is a chance of successful crosses within a tribe (such as Hippeastrum x Sprekelia or Amaryllis X Crinum), but very little chance of a successful cross between tribes, such as Hippeastrum X Crinum.

Bill

o

Thanks all! I bet I was thinking of the e Amaryllis Belladonna x Crinum cross (not sure of direction of cross....).
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here