Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

A few photos from tonight

The reblooming "burst" continues....

Here's a quick look into the "pop-up" greenhouse tonight:

{{gwi:399324}}

For anyone who was on the list years ago...the first time this San Remo bloomed (at least...that's what we think it is as it was labeled "Lilac Wonder"...argh, eh Carol?) it was deemed the ugliest bloom of the year...no symmetry and just blotchy. Glad to see it's improved with time!

{{gwi:406969}}

{{gwi:406972}}

{{gwi:406975}}

And this one really doesn't count because it's a "new" bulb this year, but it's a survivor out of the frozen batch of bulbs I got, so I thought it deserved a photo. The seller made good and sent replacements. This was one of the few to survive being shipped from the NE in the first week of Feb, when it was even freezing in TX!

{{gwi:406978}}

ENJOY!

Kristi

Comments (15)

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Thank you, last one is precious.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's an Aphrodite Arif...blooming her heart out as I am not sure if the bulb will make it. While the others were frozen, she had lots of red blotch. I think I've cleared it up, or am agressively trying, but now it looks like she might have had some freeze damage as well. UGH! That order was a nightmare...
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

All your stuff is beautiful and healthy looking.. Congratulations...

• haxuan
    13 years ago

You have a full house, Kristi. All are beautiful.

What's the ID of your whites?

Xuan

Original Author
    13 years ago

It's really a pale yellow Xuan....Lemon Star.
    K

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Kristi,

I'm pretty sure that is 'Moonlight', see how the tepals twist, pinch or crease? 'Lemon Star' is a flat bloom. Also the scape is darker on 'Moonlight' than 'Lemon Star'. These seem to be the only way to distinguish between the two according to Bill from emaryllis who helped me ID mine.

Josh

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Kristi, what a fantastic display! Do you eat and sleep in you greenhouse? LOL! I would be in there every waking minute! Your flowers are gorgeous.

There is something in the center back, maybe on the bottom shelf, that I just gotta see... please bring it out?

Carol

Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the same bulb in 2009. Since daytime temps in the greenhouse are reaching 110+ it's not as happy!
    Sorry...I do believe it to be the true ID. Recall that temps and stress affect bloom shape, form, etc.
    K {{gwi:396378}}

Original Author
    13 years ago

And....this was the first bloom from San Remo....really an ugly swan!
    {{gwi:377701}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

BUMP...Josh I posted the reply for you to show you that I have Lemon Star and what that very same bulb produced in years past. As I said...the greenhouse has been 110+ so blooms are looking very stressed. :-) You'd twist too at 120!
    K

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Kristi, I've been dying to know why you use a greenhouse in Zone 8B (right next to me, in Zone 9A)? I'm thinking it has to do with protecting your bulbs from potential mosaic virus vectors?

Will you keep your bulbs in your greenhouse all summer? If I remember, the greenhouse is fairly new. I'm really eager to hear how it goes for you. I know it was a huge success over the winter - that is for certain! I'm wondering how the bulbs will do in the summer - or will you take them inside your home?

Carol

Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol,
    Since we have had some really harsh freezes, I only overwinter the bulbs there. In fact, they are moving to their summer home tomorrow morning. Our temps are alreay well over 90...it sucks!
    I posted some photos of the new summer grounds last year. Had the 10' wide side yard all paved with bull rock, painted the fence "mango tango" and put a reflective shade cloth over it. I had some grow to 4'tall! There are a few that have been infected with virus and they are growing under screen...on the other side of the house. Screen is anchored at the bottom so no flying sucking bugs! At least...that's the plan. They are blooming, which is nice, just too bad they have to be segregated.
    K

{{gwi:406983}}

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

A lot of my friends in Argentina and Brazil grow all their Hipps in pots too, I think it's the easiest way to control insects and disease.

Growing species is obviously different as they all need very different care and are much more tender, some hybrids are this way as well! These new exotic hybrids I think are really unpredictable as well, I bet many of them are much more tender than the 'Appleblossom' or 'Red Lion's' are.

I am going to experiment this year with plant a few in the ground I know are hardier like 'Appleblossom'.

• Echo_of_your_past
    12 years ago

Wow, these are gorgeous!!
    Sandra :)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sandra! The important take away message: blooms change over time, from scape to scape and from year to year. The breeders are breeding for high quality and consistent blooms from year to year. High temps one year and lower the next really make a difference!
    Kristi

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions