Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radarcontactlost_gw

Check those Oskar bulbs!

radarcontactlost
13 years ago

Just took a close look at my Oskar that has been warned about on here. Sure enough it was showing mosaic virus. I threw it out and it led me to a check of other plants in the collection. I found a Cyrtanthus Sanguineus also infected and a minerva I got from walmart. Its getting frustrating to find these things, thankfully they have been limited to less valuable things. This has taught me one thing. NO MORE CHEAP CHRISTMAS BULBS. If it hits one of my specimens like my boophanes or ammocharris I swear ill be done with Amaryllidaceae! Well maybe.

Comments (13)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Mine were all virused too, very virused! I've decided not to buy anymore Lowe's bulbs or whatnot because that is where most of the virus comes from! I've really been watching my other bulbs that I got mailorder and most seem clean as a whistle *with the exception of some Hadeco bulbs*

I know what you mean when you worry about your more cherished bulbs, some of my species I know I'll never find again and am VERY lucky to own! Some are self fertile so no biggie BUT many aren't.

I did notice that my H. pardinum bulbs are virused but considering the absolute rarity of them I will not dispose of them!

I now spray my plants every 30 days with a systemic pesticide, I've noticed that I have yet to find a single bug since I started this!

Josh

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

I had originally thought my Oskar too was virused..gave it to my father..now it look fine..I don't know..one minute some of these plants look virused and then they don't! I am keeping an eye on it and keeping it separated from the few other hippies at my father's.

Last year when I had a couple of hippies that were definitly virused, there was no doubt as the leaves were severely mottled..and the pictures were posted..now, every time I see any mark on leaves, I get suspicious..I think I am becoming paranoid over this..maybe it's just me....

The only other "cheap" bulb I got was a Lady Jane and the leaves are pristine on that one...so who knows..

Donna

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Josh, which systemic do you use and at rate are you applying it? I would like to start a spray program for mine, too. Would appreciate your advice.

Carol

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

I pitched my Oskar too. What a disappointment. The flower was ugly (too droopy) and the leaves grew out virused. I agree, no more cheap bulbs. Every once in awhile you get a great find, but more often you get what you pay for.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Carol, I use Bayer and I just do a fine mist until the plant is nice and moist looking :)

Alana, it was awful... The ones they sell for cheap all appear to me to be virused, they don't seem to care because they're selling them so terribly cheap! They assume that most are going to pitch them after bloom anyway, only a few such as us keep them. I will no longer buy bulbs from places like that.

Donna, leaves don't always show symptoms, actually more than not the leaves are clear! Don't be paranoid, just handle it as it comes ;) If you see a virused plant, toss it or seclude it!

Josh

13 years ago

Josh, thanks for the info. A couple more questions if you don't mind. Specifically which Bayer product do you use? Bayer makes so many different systemics. Also, at what rate do you apply it? In other words, what is your recipe or ratio for making the mix for your sprayer?

Again, many thanks!
    Carol

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Carol,

I have my bulbs inside so I use a pre-diluted bottle of Bayer Rose and Flower insecticide that contains imidacloprid. I just spray the house plants with it right out of the bottle..

I'm not sure about people using it in the yards as it can kill bees which is bad news. You might want to talk to others in your community and see what they use for insecticides that wont be as much damage to the environment.

• npublici
    13 years ago

Josh,If you can find someone with Pardinum pollen you could possible get seeds from yours.They would not not be virused.
    Del

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Please get ahold of the wholesale distributor of infected/infested bulbs and let the community of bulb growers know who they are so we can avoid buying from them, even at reputable nurseries. I received no infected or infested bulbs this year. Sources include Hadeco and Royal Colors.

13 years ago

Josh,

Thanks so much for the help. Bayer makes several Rose and Flower insecticides - are either of these it?

Bayer 2-In-1 Systemic Rose & Flower Care
    http://www.bayeradvanced.com/rose-flower-care/products/2-in-1-systemic-rose-flower-care

Bayer All-In-One Rose & Flower Care (Three systemic products)
    http://www.bayeradvanced.com/rose-flower-care/products/all-in-one-rose-flower-care

Before you said which one, thought you might have been using this. Has anyone tried it?
    Bayer 3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control
    http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-shrub-care/products/3-in-1-insect-disease-mite-control

Thanks again,
    Carol

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Carol,

I don't use the ones with fertilizer as I have my own fertilizing regimen, I just use the 'Dual Action' posted below

Here is a link that might be useful: Product I Use

13 years ago

Understood and makes sense! Thanks!

Carol

• coffeemom
    13 years ago

Stupid me didn't save her receipts. You have a year to return them to Lowes. I'd love to dump them all at Customer Service.

Sponsored
More Discussions