Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikep_cfl

Starting from Seeds - Questions

mikep_cfl
14 years ago

Hello gang -

I probably made nearly 30 crosses this year and ended up with well over 1000 seeds. I used the flotation method and achieved about a 60%-70% percent germination rate. So I'm happy with that.

However, the process of moving the seedlings from the water to a soil mixture hasn't gone so well. I used 72-cell trays with humidity domes and planted in a seed-starting medium which looks like it contains mostly peat.

I lost 75% of my seedlings in the test batch of 4 72-cell trays. I think the mistake I made was to expose them to the bright FL sun too early - I thought they were sufficiently shaded but I realize now they were not. The humidity under the domes was very high. I did not add any fertilizer to the test batch.

Questions:

(1) Is the germination rate about the same when Hippy seeds are started in a soil mixture? And should one keep the humidity level (very) high? I'm going to sow a batch in a soil mix to see if I can eliminate having to disturb them.

(2) Using the flotation method, how long should one wait before moving the seedlings to a soil mixture? I moved all of the ones in the test batch when they had 1 healthy leaf and 1 root. I have a large batch I started in water on 3/15 - I'm letting them stay in the water longer on purpose but they are getting tangled. I added a weak dose of Miracle Grow to the water this time.

(3) Is mold (a white substance) on some of the seeds common, and is it a problem? For me, the seeds that had this issue did not germinate. I also noticed some red streaks on some roots - fungus?

Sorry for the long post. Tips will be appreciated.

MikeP

Central Florida

Comments (11)

• npublici
    14 years ago

Mike,your germination rate would have been higher if you had changed the water,which you floated them in, every few days. The dome over the trays acted as a solar collector.You steamed the seedlings,in full sun. The domes also caused there to be no moving air inside,a prime environment for dampoff. When you see the white mold,your seedlings are almost certainly dead. I start mine in deep shade,with no fertilizer,until all have germinated,in window boxes with a bottom reservoir.I cover the seeds with a light layer of peat and perlite.The medium is the same.I fertilize the first time,when they all have leaves, with a seed starter fertilizer. One which is low in nitrogen.Later on I use 20-20-20. I plant the seeds sparsly enough that I can leave the seedlings in the boxes for a year,until I put them in the ground. I gradually increase the amount of sunlight they recieve.Morning sun and afternoon shade is best. I start mine inside,with no added light, until they germinate,then I move them to deep shade.It would be nice to be able to have flouresent lights over them and a low speed fan stirring the air. I've done that, and the seedlings really grow fast and look healthy.Captan can slow down the dampoff and other diseases.
    Del

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I have found it better, for myself at least, to start seeds directly in regular potting mix. I find seed starter mix to be too "peaty". I find that the transition from floating in water to soil can be stressful for the baby plants. My germination rate for planting directly in soil is fairly good... I'd say about 80% or more.

When I did float seeds, I lost quite a few upon transplanting. I decided that direct sowing in soil was best.

I keep the soil moist, but not soaked... give them bottom heat and light. And I found that seeds sown directly in soil and placed in the sun before germinating, were ok with the bright sunshine. No leaf burn.

I didn't experience mold or fungus on the soil, so I can't comment. I did see "ick" in the water when I floated the seeds, but changing the water helped.

Basically, I start seeds in soil outdoors when the weather permits, and I let them sprout and grow all summer, repotting into individual pots in fall, and bringing them indoors. They go under lights for winter, and then back out in spring, taking care to allow them to get used to the brighter sun. I've had good luck this way.

I hope this helps somewhat. Perhaps others can tell us how they grow their seeds. Anyone?

• agent1xe13
    14 years ago

I use a method that's in between floating and direct soil. I start by floating the seeds but as soon as one of the seed sow any sign of growing out of its shell, I put them all on soil and cover them with a very thin coat of soil just to barely hide the seed and keep the moisture over it. I never wait till a root or a leaf develops to transfer to soil. This works very well for me, so I stick to it. It is not any better or worst than other ways I think, just different. Hope this helps.

Laurier

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Like Laurier, I use the "semi-flotation" method. I do most of my seeds this way and it seems to work pretty well for me. (I'm hoping the hippe seeds continue to as well.) I start them in a container about 6 inches deep with no holes in the bottom, fill it with potting soil, lay the seeds on top and add water to get it really soggy. I put it in a window that gets nice morning light. In the ~ 3 weeks for the seeds to germinate, the soil starts to dry out enough to not be too wet for seedlings. I just continue to monitor the moisture level and add when needed after they start to germinate.

Here's a picture of my first batch that are a couple of months old:
    {{gwi:408021}}From GardenWeb pics

and here are ones that are 4 weeks old and just now germinating:

{{gwi:408022}}

I haven't tried lights or heating pads yet, but might have to if I get really into this. I guess the key is to find something that works and stick with it. Alana

• ladyaustin96
    14 years ago

Alana,

Interesting....I may try this method with some of my seeds...couldn't hurt!

Kim

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I don't think there's a right or a wrong way... whatever works best for you in your environment, and with the tools you have available.

I got my heating pad at Harbor Freight, in case anyone is interested in getting one. It came with a flat and little greenhouse plastic cover, and is advertised for seed starting. I believe it costs roughly $24. I use the pad alone, mostly for seed starting and helping bulbs and cuttings to root faster. Bottom heat really does help.

I have my heating pad set up on a plant shelf indoors, and I've got a grow light suspended over it. It's the perfect place to start seeds when it's still cold outside, or if I want to root anything in winter.

I think that if a method works for you, you should stick with it. There's no right or wrong way to germinate seeds... as long as you can provide what they need, you're doing fine!

• Oklahoma_Tim
    14 years ago

When I decided to grow some amaryllis seeds a few years ago, I only left each one in the water long enough for their root to get about half an inch long, then I carefully moved them into pots. I used Jiffy Seed-Starting Mix, which is a 50/50 blend of ground vermiculite and peat. I moistened the soil first, then used a toothpick to make a hole for the root. After placing the seed, I pressed the soil around it so it filled in the gap around the root, then added about an eight of an inch of mix over the seed. They came up fine, so I guess my method worked.

I've read that some people like to place amaryllis seeds between damp paper towels, and put them in the refrigerator overnight before planting, but I see no reason for that.

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your advice on how to start Amaryllis seeds. I have just moved them to soil as they had little white tips sprouting out from the seeds. There is one draw back I see, now everything I see Amaryllis blooming I get the desire to go and pollenate their blooms and then see if they will want to give me a few of the seeds to start. Of course I may have to tell them how the plant and grow them also but then what are we learning how to care for our plants. I am already out of room for them, but then I do have neighbors and friends that enjoy those wonderful blooms.

• ladyaustin96
    14 years ago

I did a test batch of my own Minerva seeds directly in the soil this year as I just learned that it could be done. I have used the soak method for 2 yrs. I just today discovered the new babies under the mulch and they look fabulous!! I will post pics later!

Kim

• ladyaustin96
    14 years ago

{{gwi:408023}}From May Garden 2009

Here is the picture I promised...these are seeds sown directly in soil with mulch cover...they are doing great!

Kim

• karenmulhern
    11 years ago

My water floated Amaryllis seeds have white roots of various lengths up to 1/2" but all have settled at the bottom of the glass. I assume this means they have died? Before I dispose of them, I wanted to ask!

Here is a link that might be useful: small house BIG GARDEN

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions