Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My seeds germinated!

Posted by mikey33 5b Ont. (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 1:28

Well I had the seeds sitting on the counter for about a month, and I decided to do the flotation method. I used a 4 gallon (16 litres) or so white plastic bucket, and stuck in a submersible aquarium heater. Even though the heater is on lowest setting the water temp must be at least 90 degrees F. About 2 weeks in I checked them and decided to top off the water and saw that 50% had roots. And the others were "plumping up". Then I noticed algae in the bottom of my bucket, and decided to clean it and do a complete water change. I would have throw in a little Hydrogen Peroxide had I found it...Maybe tomorrow. I figured without a heater my water temps would have been 50 deg. F, so opted for a heater. I will transplant when I have 1 cm long leaves showing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My seeds germinated!

Mike,
If you start them in the house, then the water would be warmer...! Sounds like you did a great job. Now remember, when you transplant them to soil, you'll have to keep them very moist, since that's what they are used to...at least for a while. Seedlings never like to dry out.

What cross or self are the seeds from??
GREAT JOB!
Kristi

o

Mikey, that's great news! Congrats. I've never tried flotation but that might be the answer for some of the more stubborn seeds that haven't germinated for me. Alana

o

I think they are Novella x self or Novella x Apple Blossom. I did start them in the house, but my basement floor (for a lack of space) is cold, cold, cold. I think I will use a coconut coir and perlite mix. 50/50. That should keep them moist. But I am not transplanting until I see leaves. I am supposing Amaryllis form true leaves as opposed to cotyledons right off the bat. Correct if I am wrong. What bites is I have to move in October. I don't even know where to yet.

o
RE: edit

I am wrong. Amaryllis do indeed form cotyledons. They are classified as Monocotyledoneae.

Class Monocotyledoneae: Monocots

Flower parts in 3's or multiple of 3's; one cotyledon inside seed; parallel leaf venation; includes Lilium, Amaryllis, Iris, Agave, Yucca, orchids, duckweeds, annual grasses, bamboos and palms.

o

Another cool way to germinate Amaryllis seed is to place them between damp folded paper towels in a container, unsealed. I mean damp to the point of dripping water. I do many different types of seed this way.

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here