Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

H. Limona...a different look in spring

mariava7
15 years ago

This is Limona last winter as a newly planted bulb on it's first scape. Flowers did not open right and scape produced that "lollipop" effect of flowers. And I thought, it's a pretty yellow/green with SOME peach brown markings...nothing spectacular. Moonlight on it's second season which was also in bloom was a lot prettier then.

{{gwi:408404}}

Now in spring, Limona has rooted in and brought out it's third scape. I had to read it's name tag to make sure it was really Limona. And sure it was, just with a different look...

{{gwi:408405}}

Now it gets to fully opens it's flowers and the green throat is brighter...

{{gwi:408406}}

And shows off those petal markings...

{{gwi:408407}}

I love that colored tip of the style!

{{gwi:408408}}

With Exotica on it's last flower (just to compare colors)

{{gwi:408409}}

And with Naranja ( my best orange so far)...

{{gwi:408410}}

Spring brings out the best in us...

Thanks soultan... :-)

Comments (17)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Maria, your photography gets better and better! Although, it's easy to see why when you have such perfect subjects! Limona is one of my personal favorites... mine performed so well! Yours has a lot more color... mine was more of a plain green with only light touches of color. Exotica is one I don't have yet, but I can see I need to get one! And Naranja is a beautiful clear orange... just wonderful! I enjoy your photos so much... they're always clear and bright with fabulous backgrounds and interesting angles!

Your Limona is so different than mine... I hope you don't mind if I paste in a copy or two of what mine looked like for comparison... mine was purchased locally, grown in an east window, and watered with mineral rich well water. I wonder why the difference in color is so marked?

Limona... winter of 2007.
    {{gwi:408412}}

{{gwi:408414}}

As a footnote... I hope you have lots more photos coming! I really enjoy viewing the bulbs you have in bloom! Thank you for sharing, Maria!

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Maria, The photos are beautiful, but they are also puzzling because I thought that Limona had a pale yellow flower. Are you sure that this is a true Limona?

• mariava7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jodi and Blanca.

The true Limona??? Geeezzz, I really don't know. The question is...

"Is there really a PURE yellow/green colored Limona as pictured in their website and tags?"

Or is this just a marketing "trick" for us to buy this variety, just like Moonlight.

This Limona if grown/made to bloom in lesser light and warmer conditions would make the coloration not too distinct but never like Lemon Lime's pure color. Still there will be that small amount of shading. Now grown outside exposed to bright light and cool temps. (50s low), the markings will definitely show up.

I still need to see a TRUE Limona....if there is one. :-)

Soultan...Have you found it?

Here's a link you might want to check out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Raydio's Limona

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Wow...so the question of Limona's coloration has been an issue here for at least 17 months. This is very interesting indeed.

I hope that the enticing photos are not simply a marketing ploy.

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Maria, your blooms look great as always!
    Jodi, I like how your "Limona" look... and as an update, the two baby Limonas from the seeds you sent have grown up fast, their roots have stuck out of the little pots I planted them last month and into the soil down below! Guess I'd better pot them up.

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Xuan - I am so glad you got at least two to sprout and grow, and I'm really happy that they're growing so well! It may take a while, but I think you'll really enjoy them when they flower! I still can't figure out why shipped seeds seem to have such a poor germination rate... it doesn't make any sense...

Raydio's Limona seems to be in between mine and Maria's when it comes to color... I wonder how Soultan's turned out? I don't remember seeing a photo, although my memory is not what it should be... the tag that came with mine showed a lovely lime green flower... I think the weakness of the sun at the time it bloomed accounts for the lighter color. And yet, you can still see hints of the reddish-brown tinge in the petals... I'm sure if it had had better light, it would have been a lot more like Maria's.

Now that it's growing leaves to gather energy, I notice that it's not growing as many as my other bulbs. The bulb is healthy and green, and seems to be recovering from the shrinking they go through. It's still in the east facing window, awaiting nice weather for a move outdoors. I will say, though, that it was a very prolific bloomer, and I enjoyed it very much while it was in bloom!

• soultan
    15 years ago

Limona turned out to be the same as Maria's for me too. I am very unhappy with it. I still blame Nieuwskerk for sending out such an unstable hybrid with a FAKE picture attached to it. If I know that Limona has this orange discoloration, I accept it as is, but based on the web site and printed material distributed with the bulb, I am disappointed.
    I didn't even make pictures, I hate the outcome so much.
    But this will not deter me from buying a new Limona bulb next season. Maybe it will be the magical year for the right Limona finally.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I would have to say that the fact mine was forced to bloom indoors in lower light and warmer home temperatures probably contributed to its lighter coloration. Unless I put it to rest and force it earlier than spring, it will probably bloom with darker reddish Exotica-like coloration next year, rather like Maria's.

Instead of trying for another Limona, I think I'll purchase Lemon Lime... and possibly a Moonlight. I'm also looking to get an Evergreen. I really like the green flowers, and while I was very happy with Limona's overall performance, I can see that different environmental factors may contribute to its darker coloration.

• parodise
    9 years ago

Could this be a Limona?

• parodise
    9 years ago

Another shot of the same plant indoors:

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Yes...

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

My Limona was this:
    {{gwi:2122568}}

9 years ago

This year? New bulb? We have 2 threads going in about Limona!
    K

• parodise
    9 years ago

Oleg, yours is absolutely lovely! When was the picture taken?

9 years ago

Odd that it didn't get the "all over glow" that we've seen on others. Just more color at the points.

Posting my other color link, even though it's on the second link.
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: vivid colors after cool sunny winters

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

I think that I just managed to catch the moment. Yellow Color fades pretty quickly and the color becomes white and green, but anthocyanin color remains. Unfortunately I did not record the time of flowering, but I guess it was in May or June.

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Wow!! I didn't know that Limona had so much color!! Beautiful!! - J

Sponsored
More Discussions