Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dizzy77_gw

Minerva or mutt?

dizzy77
16 years ago

Hi I thought I'd ask the experts, I bought these bulbs a few years ago, they were labeled Minerva. I planted them in a large clump and since then they have multiplied and now I have a lovely show every year. This photo was from last Spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:408503}}

Comments (13)

• brigarif Khan
    16 years ago

Lovely, not Minerva. But what is there in name.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Flower form and petal shape is very Minerva. It just lack the veinings of Minerva as you can see here.

{{gwi:408504}}

But then, Minerva is a very old variety that has been in production for at least 45 years by now. It has been registered in 1962 (Thanks to Hans for that information). Different strains are coming out and most importantly, difference in temperature could also cause the difference in color intensity and veining.

A good example of this is my Prelude. This is it's flower summer 2006, grown and flowered in the basement with 60-70F temp.

{{gwi:408505}}

And this is Prelude Spring 2007 after it woke up. grown and flowered outside with temp. in the 80s.

{{gwi:408506}}

{{gwi:408507}}

In my observation, as the flower color intensifies/becomes darker, the veins would be minimal. Same as if the flower color becomes lighter, the veins would show out.

Your Minerva could BE Minerva.

• dizzy77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. It's amazing that the temp. can effect the color so much! Either way your Prelude is beautiful. I'll compare when they flower again this year.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    16 years ago

I am SOOO not the expert, but I have grown Baby Star and your flower looks very much like it. I didn't find the flower smaller, simply a shorter stem than regular (which I like in that series as not so hard to keep it staked).

http://www.vanengelen.com/photos/thumbs/9124.THUMB.jpg

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Hello, I would sure like to know if this is Minerva or if not, would any one know what it is. apollegies for the not so good pic.
    {{gwi:408509}}

• hopflower
    16 years ago

What do you mean, a not-so-good-pic? It is wonderful!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Photos are stunning everyone.

Seeing Arif's post makes me sad. I hope he is ok. (sigh)

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Thanks hopflower!! I hope Arif is ok too.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Beetle,

It is hard to identify the flower from this angle. I know what you meant when you said sorry about the picture. It is a very nice picture, but the bloom is not facing the camera and it is not lit enough to help identify. The film-noire look is very impressive though.
    I would say from this angle that it is definitely not Minerva though.
    Was this bloom this intense pink tone?

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

soultan,

This is more the true color. more orangey than pink,again,i'm sad I only have these pics. next time it blooms, I'll have to take scads!
    {{gwi:408511}}

• soultan
    16 years ago

I like these kind of pictures. It is just hard to usethem for identifying pictures. That's all. Don't be sorry. You will make lots more pictures to show up. :o) Do a lot of pictures you love to do, then do one just premier plan for identifying purposes. :o) How about that?

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

That sounds like a good plan! Thanks soultan!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Great. I love when people can agree on something. :o)

Sponsored
More Discussions