Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Apple Blossom, a worthy /welsome addition

Every year the same thing happens...you order something that you really want, but instead of Vera (or _____ fill in the blank) you get a pink and white bloom with dark areas in the throat. "THAT'S NOT WHAT I BOUGHT!" you exclaim to anyone who will listen and then you go about your merry way and buy more bulbs. The same story is repeated over and over and nearly anyone who has several amaryllis has had this happen.

It's just another Apple Blossom coming into your world. It's so common, that it's underappreciated by many and recently...was described as a "horse" compared to some of Arif's lovely blooms.

Well...2 years ago I was sent an Exotica bulb, at least that's what the label says, but I knew it wasn't Exotica. Guess I didn't ask...it was pink and white. The label wasn't changed and the pot was stuck in the corner of the bed, watered and fed like all the others for last year. This year with the greenhouse, every thing is flourishing. And so now I have this GORGEOUS bloom, that is not Exotica, but what could it be??? Well, it has the markings in the throat and has the most amazing sweet smell. IT'S APPLE BLOSSOM, no doubt thanking me for giving her a chance to prove herself. So...next time you pass that box kit display, and all they have is Apple Blossom (Dazzler and Red Lion too, no doubt), just remember what you might be treated to if you give her some TLC!!!

I wish our computers had smell-o-vision. She is so lovely!

ENJOY!

Kristi

{{gwi:409304}}

{{gwi:409306}}

{{gwi:409308}}

{{gwi:409310}}

and...the blooms are huge!

{{gwi:409312}}

Comments (22)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Kristi, beautiful pictures - and I love the greenhouse! Alana

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Kristi, Your Apple Blossom has almost a strawberry color to it, very beautiful!!

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I have a large maturing seed pod on my Apple Blossom, x Lady Jane. I only dabbed it for the fun of it never expecting it to take, I selfed it also, and that didn't go anywhere, hasn't dried up yet, but not progressing beyond the small marble stage. this picture is the exact flower that I pollenated and it anyone thinks it it something other than Apple Blossom I'll listen, because this isn't supposed to happen!!
    {{gwi:393993}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

and here is my seed pod (no kidding!!) this picture was taken about a week ago and it is still progressing nicely...... {{gwi:409313}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

and this was taken today......Really !!!! {{gwi:409314}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

I'm in for some surprises when I open this and my Papilio pods!!

Donna

13 years ago

WAIT A MINUTE!!! I'm just noticing the red stripes on the STIGMA on your flower, mine DOESN'T have the stripes!!!! Maybe mine IS an imposter!! Or, is it YOURS??? Who knows, do you?? Calling all Apple Blossom experts!!!

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,
    I could have brushed up against it and it's bruised....That should get Blancha talking!! (she knows what I mean). Also, it's very HOT in my greenhouse right now (afternoon temps over 100, so that could cause the color too)...I'm 99.9% sure it's AB since several experts have ID'd her and she is scented and sweet. Is YOURS??

Now don't forget that your ABself seeds will be "duds"...unless a miracle ocurred, as I have been told/found out the hard way, that AB is self sterile.

Good job on the seed pod from the Lady Jane cross...the colors are very complimentary!
    :-)
    Kristi

13 years ago

Kristi, Yes, mine is very fragrant also, "duds" you say, well, this will be interesting. Have you ever brought a seed pod on Apple Blossom this far? Will post pictures of "whatever" or "whoever"is lurking inside!!HeHe

Donna

Original Author
    13 years ago

I have had many apple blossom seed pods including crosses. I have made several crosses with AB. My Apple Blossom self pod this year was humongus....tons of fat seed. STERILE! Do a search for Apple blossom self. You'll find the post. Actually, have posted the link here.

BUT...sow the seeds...maybe you will be "THE ONE" that gets selfs. I sowed about half...not a single germiniation. Poo!
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: thread about AB self infertile

13 years ago

Kristi, I have read that Apple Blossom was self sterile, but I also thought that it was seed pod sterile (that it wouldn't set viable seed REGARDLESS of whose pollen it was). I wasn't expecting anything from the selfing, but was hoping for something from the Lady Jane cross. Have you ever been successful with anything other that a self with Apple Blossom?? I thought it wouldn't set seeds PERIOD!! I think I may be wrong, time will tell, if those seeds are black in the Lady Jane pod!! By the way, what color were the seeds in your selfed pods?? Thanks for the link.

Donna

Donna

• holantina
    13 years ago

Hi Kristi,
    Uhmmm... Apple Blossom. I personally just LOVE AB. This dutch winner from the fifties definitely came to stay! As you know, is just one of the few oldies who is still very popular. A fine, robust plant with gorgeous, soft coloured and (in my opinion) very elegant and romatic looking flowers :-) And, they are scented, which i always consider a plus! :-)
    But, of course, i can relate to the frustration of getting ANOTHER AB when you were expecting to FINALLY get that much sought after, special cultivar :-0

xxx Lourdes.

Original Author
    13 years ago

I have pollinated this one with others, so we'll see what sets.
    Kristi

• elizabeth_jb
    13 years ago

Kristi,

Your stigma looks different. It has dark pink stripes.

Mine are all pure white.

I know that I have seen this before in stigmas, but I simply cannot remember which varieties.

Good Luck!

Ann

Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the same bulb years ago. I don't see any pink. I am still attributing the color to the temperatures in the greenhouse as when the bulb first bloomed, it was cooler and there was not color on the stigma. Also, since she's in a big pot, she is always getting brushed as I reach over her to open the back door, and at a warmer temperature, colors do funny things. We've seen the same bulb due many different things over the years.

{{gwi:377906}}

Several of the experts on the list (and off) have said this is Apple Blossom, confirmed by her fragrance. If anyone has another ID, please wrack your head for the name and get it to me. BTW - Queen of Hearts has purple on the stigma....she's regal, but not a queen.

Thanks,
    Kristi

• elizabeth_jb
    13 years ago

Kristi,

I assure you that I do not consider myself one of your experts, but I have been growing this bulb for well over 20 years. I have grown it in the ground, in my house, in my garage, in my greenhouse, in a protected porch and in my enclosed patio and in the same zone as you (perhaps a little warmer).

I have never seen one that looks just like yours or with the striped color in the stigma.

That doesn't mean that it can't happen. It just means that I have never seen that.

Good Luck to YOU and enjoy!

Ann

Original Author
    13 years ago

I am really sorry I ever posted this.

If anyone has a better idea on what bloom this is, please email me off the list.

Kristi

PS Thanks for the luck (guess that's luck needed to get a good ID), and I DO enjoy....all of my blooms!

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Don't be sorry Kristi!

It is a good thread that can further educate everybody about Appleblossom and other older classic varieties. I have mentioned this in one of the older threads of Appleblossom and would mention it again here.

Appleblossom has been registered and been propagated since 1954. YES,,,that's 56 years of propagation all over the world. It's been propagated in Holland, South America, Israel and even Maguire's has it's Appleblossom.

Now what happens to the original clone after all these propagations under different commercial practices and conditions? Variances develop. Different shades of pink/markings, different petal shapes, different flower sizes, red eye/no red eye, with/without fragrance, fertile/infertile, colored/uncolored stigma, different leaf colors/length/width and others. I posted pics of different Appleblossoms in that old thread.

I would think that I have not seen or heard of anybody claim that his/her Appleblossom is of the very original clone of the 1950s. That will be "The Day" if ever!!!

So continue to enjoy your beautiful Hippie Kristi.
    It IS an Appleblossom.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Maria!
    (wish I could send a cute graphic like Blanca does)....

I love my AB, even if she has "evolved".
    K

13 years ago

Kristi, Don't be sorry for this thread, it's a learning experience for all of us!! Besides, I still think your Apple Blossom is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen! A little light-hearted controvsy spices things up!! As I spend spare time browsing through every hippie website I can find, I will now, always be on the look out for an Apple Blossom with your fancy stigma!! I might just find one!!

Donna

• mariava7
    13 years ago

You're most welcome Kristi!

Just consider Appleblossom like H. johnsonii. NOBODY can claim that she/he has "THE" johnsonii. Whether it is a trumpet or not, with a clear white stripe or not, 4 or more flowers per scape or not.

Happy Hippie growing!

• elizabeth_jb
    13 years ago

That's not true, Maria. I haven't heard an 'expert' respond to this thread yet.

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Hi Elizabeth!

I doubt any of the "experts" would respond in this thread and deal with all this fuss about an Appleblossom with a tinted stigma. Would you?

And about what I said about H. johnsonii's true ID, here's what an 'expert' had to say about it....

"Earliest developements in Hippeastrum hybridization can be traced to the mid 18th century with the introduction of H. reginae and H. vittatum into European cultivation. Mr. Johnson, generally acknowledged to be an English watchmaker from Prescot, Lancashire (Great Britain)crossed these species to produce H 'Johnsonii' which was subsequently used to create further hybrids in the early 19th century. Arthington Worsley of Isleworth (Middlesex, Great Britain) writing in the American Amaryllis Society Year-Book (1935) has since CAST DOUBT ON THE IDENTITY OF THE PLANT which was cultivated in the early 20th century as IT DIFFERED SUBSTANTIALLY FROM THE ORIGINAL HYBRID OF THAT NAME."

Veronica Read
    Hippeatrum, the gardener's amaryllis
    Chapter 3 page 41

Gotta run! It's my grandbaby's 1st b-day party at the park. Lovely day today. Hope you all have a great day to!

• elizabeth_jb
    13 years ago

Maria,

I am aware that there are some that believe that some are 'Johnsonii' which are quite different from what is known as the common Johnsonii on the Gulf Coast. That is a totally different subject than the diffence in color and stigma.

You, yourself have posted pictures of the real Johnsonii and so have I. In Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna and Texas, I have seen huge beds of these Johnsonii. They display up to 8 flowers each, are trumpet shaped, with brilliant white stripes.

In the past, it is true that there are other beds that were called Johnsonii and yet, they were not. I think it was Plant Delights that described Ackermannii as one that was confused with Johnsonii. I have seen others as well, and they were Tets, very different from the commonly known as Johnsonii, here.

As to the difference in the Pink one, last year, I purchased 4 noid Pink from Lowes. They all had the same label and were all planted in the same pot. Two were very different from the other two. I could never identify any of them, but both sets were beautiful, so I will not reject them because they do not have a name.

It is certainly acceptable that Kristi call this unknown as 'my Apple Blossom'.

Ann

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Elizabeth....I did post pictures of the johnsonii I have acquired and used in my pollination but have clearly stated that it is "a CLONE" of johnsonii. If it is "the real Johnsonii" or not..I am in no position to state so.

This will be my last post in this thread and would want to just share my thoughts on these "Oldies but Goodies". I started collecting Hippeastrums/Amaryllis just 4 years ago. What bulbs I acquired of varieties are what I share pictures of grown under my care and growing conditions. If I share pictures of flowers other than mine, I always state who grew it and where it was grown if ever. If my flowers differ from others, I ALWAYS understand that variances are very possible. I should think that everybody (regular members)should understand this now and further explain to others (newbies).

This is one reason why we are all here...to learn and share the wonders of growing this beautiful plant that we love...the Hippeastrum/Amaryllis. It involves educating oneself through one's own experience and others. Perhaps a lifetime education that should be based not only on what's written but also on new developments. The possibilities are endless...Let's move on, enjoy and grow beautifull amaryllises.

• elizabeth_jb
    13 years ago

Maria,

I am an educator, a highly qualified one and that is what I do all day, every day. I have been using the equivalent of the internet for over 30 years, and one thing for sure, there is a lot of erroneous information posted, so we have to be careful as to what we believe and do not believe. There are no perfect textbooks. I have found errors here and there, but that happens.

Do a google search on the definition of the word 'CLONE'.

Here is an example:

1. To make multiple identical copies of (a DNA sequence).
    2. To create or propagate (an organism) from a clone cell: clone a sheep.
    3. To reproduce or propagate asexually: clone a plant variety.

Ann

Sponsored
More Discussions