Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to get a "SMALL SEED LOT PERMIT" ?

I was considering ordering a few Clivia seeds from South Africa until I noticed that you had to have a permit..I guess it is good for 3 years. I would have posted this on the Clivia forum but, that forum isn't very active..not like you guys!!

Do any of you have a permit and, how difficult is it to use it and order seeds from other countries. I was only thinking of trying a few different crosses..

Thanks,

Donna

Comments (7)

• ajsblu_eyes
    11 years ago

Donna,

I have done this it has been over a year since I did this though so forgive my vague info. (It wasn't too difficult) There is a website you go to:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml

Here you have to register and apply for the permit by typing in the information. I had to go to a government location to complete my application I believe. I was sent a page filled with small seed lot permits for import usage. The documents are good for a number of years. I hope this helps.

AJ

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi AJ!

Thank you for responding and it was nice to hear from you and I hope all is well with you!

I think I may give it a try. Do you actually have to mail one of the sticker to them or can you send a copy through an email..and if you could remember, how long did it take for you to get the permit after you applied?

Thanks a bunch and I do appreciate your reply..

Donna

• ajsblu_eyes
    11 years ago

I only imported one seed lot. I mailed the sticker to the person, I don't know if you can send a copy through email that would be convenient. (you could ask the officials when/if you call and talk to a real person who is issuing the permits) I honestly don't know how long the process took for me but I'm guessing around a month from starting the application to receiving the documents in the mail.

:) I've actually been off and on sick since the beginning of the year. That is not surprising since I work with kids :) I hope all is well with you.

I'm excited that you are thinking of importing Clivia seeds from South Africa. I hope all goes well and you get some beautiful specimens.

AJ

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks,AJ

I don't know if you remember when you send me some seeds last year but, I have 3 really strong Donau x Exotica and 2 really, really strong Donau x Tosca growing..all from you of course. I think I'll plant them directly in the ground (if it ever warms up in my neck of the woods) and they should triple in size over the summer!
    I'm still thinking this permit thing over, and it seems that I will have to make up my mind very soon if it takes the better part of a month to pull off and, my hubby is not keen on the idea at all.

Hope you're feeling better, and if you want a few Mocca seeds I have a pod ripening of Piquant x Mocca and I may have a few Exotica x Mocca left too.

Take care,

Donna

• ajsblu_eyes
    11 years ago

Go for it Donna if I remember right it didn't cost any money to get the permits. :) That does not guarantee that there won't be future costs (buying seeds) :)

I'm glad to hear the seeds I sent you are still going strong. Sadly the AZ summer killed most of my seedlings even in the shade, I moved my surviving seedlings inside. I still have 4 Rebel seedlings doing well. I would love some of your Mocca seeds! I always wanted a Piquant so I would love a few of your Piquant x Mocca seeds.

I didn't do much pollinating for fear of spreading the Mosaic Virus. I have my fingers crossed on a Germa x Papilio, Lemon Trumpet x Pink Floyd, and some Evansie crosses if you are interested in some seeds.

AJ

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

It sounds like you have some interesting crosses, AJ. *crossing fingers* I hope your Germa x Papilio turn out and that they're as gorgeous as the photos posted in this thread! -Tina

Original Author
    11 years ago

AJ,
    I'm going to send you an email, if you don't get it, check your spam or you can email me..I'm using the last email I had for you..
    Donna :-)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions