Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Laforest Morton and a pale but pretty Nymph

Hi,

I bought this bulb last season and it is now just blooming for the first time. It was labeled Laforest Morton and since I don't have anything like it I will assume it's correct. A very saturated sort of neon pink with a hint of purple undertones in certain lights. These pictures were taken without a flash as it blows out like most of my reds do.

{{gwi:409604}}

{{gwi:409607}}

and a pale nymph which I got last year as a mislabel and can't recall if it bloomed last season or not. I think the white is pretty even if the markings are sparse...

{{gwi:409611}}
{{gwi:409613}}

and the first of my lilacs...lots more coming..darker ones...

{{gwi:409617}}

Donna

Comments (11)

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

Oh Donna the first one is definitely stunning and so beautiful! I honestly must say I didn't see a hippeastrum like that, the pink is very vivid yet not to hard and the petals have this interesting end to them!
    Its a beauty! you re very luck with every one you buy!

Rob

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Oh, I was just looking on the Emarillys sight and look what I found. Scroll down and there is a Laforest Morton look-a-like. Fiesta?? So I guess it was a mislabel after all?!

Here is a link that might be useful: Laforest Morton or Fiesta??

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

The 2 scapes on my Laforest Morton are a long way from blooming, but I'll post a photo when it blooms for comparison.

My Adele is blooming today... So pretty. Guess it's my reward for moving another 60 pots today. Breaking it up over several days is far easier than trying to do it all over a single day!
    K

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Oh Donna - I am so jealous. I love lilacs and can't grow them here. You are so lucky - ah for the scent of lilacs!
    -J

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Hi Donna,

I think that you do have LaForest Morton. I am sending you a photo of mine. I don't know the size of Fiesta's blooms, but one thing that distinguishes LaForest Morton from others is that its flowers are scary big. They reminded me of the Alice in Wonderland ride at Disneyland that always made my little sister cry because she was scared of the giant flowers. I confess that the largest Hippeastrum flowers are not my favorites, but LaForest Morton's color is beautiful.

You have inspired me to search for a lilac that will grow and bloom here in northern California. They are spectacular!

-Blanca

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Blanca,

Can you compare the size of LaForest Morton flowers to Lagoon or if you don't have that - Aphrodite?
    Thanks,
    J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

My LaForest Morton flowers are a tad bigger than 5" not overly large by any means. I wouldn't really say that my bulb was stressed as it had grown roots last season and had leaves up until now. All in all I am pleased with the color and the back of the flower is also beautiful with a creamy green stripe,

I'm still not sure that mine isn't Fiesta though as it matches the Fiesta on the Emarillys site.

Donna

Here are a few more lilacs to tempt you all...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Allert!!

How could I not have noticed that Fiesta has white filiments!! My flower and Blanca's flower have pink filiments that match the flower color. So mine is not Fiesta, but must be LaForest Morton but.. my flower is only 5 inches. Not stressed at all as it never bloomed last year and kept it leaves until the time it just bloomed.

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Mon, May 13, 13 at 22:12

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Well I can't comment on your LaForest Morton because I don't have one to compare to. But your lilacs are amazing - so many different colors - thanks so much for sharing!
    J

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Hi J,

I don't have Lagoon (yet). I wish I did. I can't find a photo of my Aphrodite. In days of old, I sometimes neglected to label photos as I took them. Am wiser now, and I always label at least one photo of every variety for easy reference.

My best guesstimate of LaForest Morton's diameter is about 10 inches. That may not be considered large by some folks standards, but to me it was. Maybe the color made me notice its size more. I will measure it when it blooms again.

I have two other large flowers blooming right now:

Marilyn from Royal Colors is 9 - 9.5 inches (depending on how I measure)
    Beau Geste from Maguires is 10 inches (more if I unfurl its petals)

Best,

Blanca

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

My opinion - more like the Pink Surprise, because ruffled both
    look at the location of anther filaments - they are scattered.

Sponsored
More Discussions