Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Planting bulbs for the winter in Zone 6b...

Hi,

Well, last year I decided that I could no longer care for and continually segregate my virused bulbs so we planted them in the ground for the winter. As we all know last year was the winter from hell so it couldn't have been a worse time to try this experiment! We (my hubby) planted them in our daylily garden which is located below a stone wall that receives lots of winter sun which warms the stones and is located in a lower part of our backyard which escapes the winter winds; a microclimate that I would guess could be as high a Zone 7 in a normal winter due to the fact that we are close to the water and that pushed us a half zone warmer than 10 or 20 miles inland.

We piled about 10 inches of mulch and wood chips on these bulbs and were hoping for the best. Imagine my surprise when after removing the mulch much earlier this spring and seeing the waterlogged ground that several weeks later once the sun started to do its work that about 21 of the bulbs started to shoot up leaves!!

These 21 bulbs (I would say I lost about 5) all have several leaves that look good as well as 5 of the bulbs are pushing up scapes!! I'm thinking that this year after a full year of summer growing in the ground that most of them might bloom next year as few of them I've never seen bloom!!

The first picture is from late September last season and the second picture was taken a few days ago, you can't really make out the scapes but they are there! This is unheard of in our neck of the woods. And yes, I realize that the soil in this area will always be contaminated now but I'm sure there will always be a few virused bulbs that I now won't have to permanently part with!

Donnaâºâºâºâº
{{gwi:410047}}

{{gwi:410048}}

Comments (8)

• sun_worshiper
    9 years ago

Congrats Donna! That is awesome!

• dragonstone
    9 years ago

Wow, that is amazing! I'm sorry to hear the bulbs are virused but the winter from hell sure made this an interesting experiment for you, that's for sure!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been threatening to do this for the last several years and always chickened out at the 11th hour! So I chose the worst winter possible and I am amazed! I am hoping that within the next few years I might finally get my greenhouse or solariums and if so, I could dig these up and keep them in the furnace room for the remainder of their lives. Then I would only use the furnace room for virused bulbs and some of my husband's rhododendron stuff. In the meantime I can keep them alive like this!! It just goes to show that if you pick your spot ( microclimate near stone walls or foundation walls) and go very heavy on the mulch you folks in the zones 7 to 8 can do it too!! Go ahead, try it!!

Donnaâºâºâº

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Donna, when you told me you had done this, I was hopeful. But when you had such a brutal and long winter, I thought, "Oh well....at least you tried". I'm so glad that it all worked out. I hope you get your solarium soon so that you can have a "paradise room" for your bulbs and clivia!

Sounds like you have a good plan. Hope DH is on board!!

K

• macroclemys
    9 years ago

Donna,
    That is great! I would be very interested in hearing what varieties didn't survive, which survived and flowered, and which survived and did not flower, if you have the information. I am mostly interested in knowing the ones that did not survive.
    Last year I planted extra seed from my crosses directly in the ground to see if any young seedlings could survive the winter. I did not mulch many of them. With the harsh winter, the ground sometimes froze at least to the depth of the little seedling bulbs, so I thought they would all be dead. But nearly all of them survived. They are now much smaller than their siblings that I kept under lights all winter, so they will probably take many years to bloom, but it gives an option to grow many more seedlings than I would otherwise be able!

Bill

• macroclemys
    9 years ago

Donna,
    BTW, I don't think you need to worry about the soil being contaminated. From what I have been able to find about HMV and other related viruses (potyviruses), they are not persistent in soil.

Bill

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is an update on these bulbs. A few of the doubles bloomed, Dancing Queen, Greatness (Aussie) and Indian Fairy (Aussie). All the double flowers were on short stunted stems and the flowers were just awful. Indian Fairy was the best of the doubles with very deep color but during the night before I could get any pictures, both flowers snapped off or were snapped off and I found them laying on the ground the next morning.

Enter Maryanne!! She just opened with two 6" gorgeous flowers on an acceptable length stem. The flowers are pristine and lovely. I got some pictures this morning when they were covered with dew and this is the first time I've seen this bulb bloom and it is even more lovely in person.

Donna

{{gwi:410049}}

{{gwi:410050}}

{{gwi:410051}}

• sun_worshiper
    9 years ago

Very nice! That once is perfect! Don't be discouraged by the deformed ones. Sometimes it is just the first year, then they settle in. Of course some of the hybrids just don't make nice garden specimens. But there are plenty that do great. My best outdoor specimens seem to be the noid heirlooms. I expect because they are the outdoor survivors=) And you never know which ones will do well. My best white I got as a vendor mistake when I ordered a rain lily! Don't know what it is, but it loves being outside.

Sponsored
More Discussions