Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my Royal velvet?

Posted by holantina (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 10:36

Hi friends,
I have this Royal Velvet. It bloomed nicely last season. But look at those flowers this time! Anyone has an idea of what is going on here?
By the way, it bloomed with only two flowers, instead of 3 or 4.
Thanks in advance!
table style="width:auto;">
Van Mijn amaryllissen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my Royal velvet?

• Posted by ryan820 z5b Denver, Colorado (My Page) on
    Mon, May 3, 10 at 13:40

I have a royal velvet. It's my largest bulb. But its also my most finicky. Looks like this one had some stress during bud development. Did you put it through a dormant period? I don't recommend it. RV does best when grown in a stable grow cycle without interruption. It's a strong grower but needs lots of light, water and food and to be let alone.

o

I had some that developed these spots, but turns out they were getting hit by the water from the sprinkler. I'm sure that didn't happen here (did it?), but it had me scratching my head for a minute when it happened to me.

Stress does odd things to the blooms!
K

o

You are right Kristi, scratching my head i am too.....Have never seen this before....
Kristi and Ryan, the bulb got a cool period in the container. It never went dormant and kept all the time at least 2 leaves. Before the cool period, i had repotted this RV in a mixture of regular container dirt with some bark and perlite. I did this because i was soooo sick and tired of fungus gnats and wanted to reduce the risk of rotting bulbs while experimenting with several potting mixes. Adding perlite and bark has improved draining a lot, but.... could it be because of the perlite? I read once somewhere that perlite has high content of some mineral... fluor? I don't remember anymore wich it was, i will try to remember.
Many thanks guys! If you or anyone have more ideas or suggestions, they are very welcome!

o

• Posted by ryan820 z5b Denver, Colorado (My Page) on
    Wed, May 5, 10 at 8:06

I have a royal velvet. It's my largest bulb. But its also my most finicky. Looks like this one had some stress during bud development. Did you put it through a dormant period? I don't recommend it. RV does best when grown in a stable grow cycle without interruption. It's a strong grower but needs lots of light, water and food and to be let alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here