Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Hi Everyone, I have Mega Star blooming for me now, the scape is the thickest I've ever seen, over 1 1/4" I'm thinking it may be a fused stem, although there isn't a seam, but it has 9, NINE flowers It looks like a lamp post holding half of the flowers that are out now, and the rest are well on their way. I do believe they will all be out at the same time!! Anyway, here He is..............
{{gwi:410545}}From FLAMING PEACOCK
{{gwi:410554}}From FLAMING PEACOCK
{{gwi:410556}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

{{gwi:410558}}From ~~~ H I P P E A S T R U M S ~~~ 2 0 0 9 / 2 0 1 0

Definitely a relative of Minerva, but a much darker red, no orange. Thanks for looking, Donna

Comments (18)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Donna,
    Where did you get your Megastar?!
    Kristi

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Nice Megastar!!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kristi, I bought it on eBay a very large, healthy happy bulb with roots, so I'm happy!! The color is really a very dark red, the camera didn't quite capture it has a very thick texture, almost like corduroy! Donna

13 years ago

Cool!! I just was browsing Emaryllis and it says it bears flowers on VERY STURDY SCAPES (duh....over 1" across=sturdy)! The site suggested it was Minerva for the new generation...I am guessing meaning that there will be a whole bunch of hybrids based off of Mega Star...as there were/are for Minerva.

Looks like you got a keeper. I am just leary of bulbs off Ebay. But...what a prize you have!
    Kristi

Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I hope it's all right to say this on the forum, but I bought this from Maria, and have bought several bulbs from her and have been happy with all!! Kristi, if you want pollen, let me know, it's dripping and I'm not going to use any of it, I'm pollinated out!! I may freeze a bit, but with 9 flowers, there's plenty to go around!!
    Donna

13 years ago

Thanks for the offer Donna. I too am crossed to the max, just with what I have from last year. And I have so many new bulbs, that I just know I'll need to cross more and more. Averaging 2-4/day, so I'll be a mess with seed pods! At least after last year I have plenty of self control and just sow what I need....15 seeds/10 seedlings....

I can't wait til some of last years seedlings bloom next year. They look large enough this year, but just need another season under their belt.

THANKS!
    Kristi

• holantina
    13 years ago

WOW, WOW, WOOOOOW....(nearly fell from my chair) In a word: gorgeous!

• primeribs
    13 years ago

Very Stunning!!! Is it that deep of red?

Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd call it tomato paste red......if you've ever opened a can of tomato paste......for lack of a better description, I do have one of the Royal Horticultural color charts, but it's buried in a closet and I'm too lazy to look for it for an accurate color!! Glad you like it!!!

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, lamp post! You are too funny! You've just been scoring big on eBay with your bulbs... what with the pap, and the nice smelly striped one and now his one. Good for you! Alana

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Very nice, a delightful flower.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi!! I'm glad you all like my "Monster Flower"!! Thanks!!
    Seven of the nine flowers are out now!!

Donna

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Very beautiful bloom, indeed. Thanks for sharing, Donna.

Xuan

• amaryllisstudygroup
    13 years ago

Please tape measure your Megastar flowers and see if they were 9.5 inches in diameter.

Original Author
    13 years ago

No Way!! They were a hair under 6"!!! Does someone have a Mega Star that measures 9.5"??!! Now there were 9 flowers on this scape.....maybe that made a difference, I have another scape half way up and will see if they are the same size with fewer flowers on a scape, I'm still thinking the first might have been a fused scape as the second scape is 2/3 the size of the first.

Donna

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bill, I am reading all your comments on various problems or questions that many of us have and find your answers very interesting. So, on a Google search I read an older post that suggests that you have a method for growing Hippies in ground (I assume year round) in colder climates. I am in zone 6/6b and would be extremely interested in trying this method with several duplicates that I have acquired through numerous mislabels probably 6 or so bulbs. Varieties that I can live without should I fail. I am driving us right out of the house with this hobby as I have no greenhouse or solarium (my dream) and now having made many crosses I have seedling everywhere!! If I could grow a good number of bulbs outside it would be wonderful as I severely envy those who can!! Last year, a normal winter for us, with not too much snow,(as I know snow is a great insulator) we left my dahlias in the ground due to sheer laziness. Usually they get dug up by my husband but last year things got away from us. Low and behold most of the 15 or so varieties are sprouting!! Had I thought they would be successful, we would have at least mulched them! They are planted on the south side of the house close to a stone foundation. So, that would be where I would attempt to leave some hippies in the ground!! I never even thought to try some this far north!!! Would it, could it work?? Would I assume that these bulbs would have to be buried up to their necks, unlike pot culture?? Thanks for your time, I know there are others on this forum also that would be interested in your answer!! Thanks,

Donna

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

I think I got my Mega Star from Royal Colors. SOmehow I had the tags mixed or had two Mega Stars.the one the tag was on was similar but a dull red that faded out. I had this one labeled something else but it was like your photo and just as pretty. Next year I will have to figure out which one is the dud and remove it...it just doesn't hold up to the real Mega Star at all! And I don't think tomato paste describes the color...The flower is much more fresh and lively, no orangyness to it. It makes me think of deep red velvet with white ermine trim!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Ya, Your discription as to the color leaves a much better image as to the beauty of this flower.....velvet red with white ermine trim........much more flowery that tomato paste red!!! Puts a much better image in one's mind doesn't it??!! Scratch that folks!!!!!

Donna

\

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz