Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange things are happening with my bulbs

Posted by dangles none (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 12:17

here in Brisbane Australia our flowering season starts about mid September this is the early bloomers first week in October is the biggest lot of flowers the late bloomers will flower in November some straglers in December last month april I took all the leaves of my bulbs expecting them to go to sleep they all now have new leaves up to 18 inches high they have not done this in other years but the strangest of is I have 5 bulbs sending up scapes this is very strange most strange any ideas why this is happening maybe its global warming ha ha this year the weather has also been abnormal any suggestions regards and happy growing Danny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange things are happening with my bulbs

I recall that a few of the listers had early blooms last year in the northern hemisphere...as they were expecting bulbs to start going to sleep as well...Oct/Nov.

K

o

Danny, Do I recall in the past year that you had moved and had to relocate all your bulbs to your new place? Well if that's the case then maybe the digging up and moving of your bulbs has upset their timetable and they have to readjust...just a thought.

Donna

o

deleting duplicate message

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, May 8, 13 at 19:43

o

Hey Dangles, I'm in Adelaide, most of mine are still in full leaf with no signs of slowing down, and I was steadily getting flowers right through till March, the weather is still pretty warm here, 29 yesterday and nearly there again today, 2nd week in May, and I'm still having to water.. :-)

o

Umm, was gardening today and noticed a new scape from one of my H. Viridi Rascal. 7 have died back, 7 have full leaves and this one has a scape about 14 inches tall.. They haven't been moved and are all in the same pot..Weird..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here