Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitty747

Inside or outside?

kitty747
15 years ago

Back in 2000 as I've mentioned before, I purchased some absolutely gorgeour bulbs. After they bloomed, along with my other houseplants, they went outside where they proceeded to rot. I kept what was left of them all these years, and this year several have actually bloomed again. They have not been outside since. I read over and over how great others' bulbs do outside. Almost all my houseplants and tropicals go out in the spring. If I were to think about placing my bulbs outside, would I have to repot them into some sort of medium that drains rapidly (it rains lots in NJ)? They're just in Miracle-Gro potting medium now. I want larger bulbs with more scapes and blooms. One thing on the positive side is that my older bulbs are solid. When they do bloom, the bulbs do not shrink. Wondering what to do?

Comments (7)

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Kitty,

The majority of mine go outside every year, and yes, I do amend the soil so that there is lots of drainage. Over the years, I have had a few problems witht them, but these are usually the ones that have difficulty setting roots the first year.

Fortunately, it is warm but not unbearably hot most of the year here. Being so close to the Gulf, it is rarely NOT overly humid, and we get an average rainfall (usually) of 65 inches of rain per year.

Of course, when it rains here, it pours, but I must admit that I do not mind the summer afternoon thunderstorms. The plants need it to beat the heat. Like us, they get thirsty...

The hardest part is transitioning them from inside to outside. I have lost so many huge trees from hurricanes of recent years, that I run out of space to give them filtered light followed by morning sunlight, etc., etc.

Unfortunately, there always seems to be that one bulb that wants to be difficult from the very start. Usually, it will survive, but like you say... It can take years for a sickly bulb to recouperate and bloom again.

It is certainly worth the effort, though!

Cheers!

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input. My concern is that here it sometimes rains for days w/o stopping, so it's not like they get an afternoon shower. They could literally sit for a week (or more) sopping wet. They have been inside now since 2000. My houseplants do so well as a rule outside during the summer that I was interested in looking into it.

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Hi Kitty,

Please take this comment as simply my opinion. If it rains for days w/o stopping in your area, I would ammend the soil to provide exceptional drainage before moving your bulbs outside. Otherwise, if you can give them really good exposure inside (and they are doing well) why risk possible rotting problems now that you have nurtured your bulbs back to good health?

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I agree with Blanca... if there's a possible risk that once outdoors they could rot again, I'd think about keeping them in pots, sheltered from the rains. Whether this means keeping them indoors, or finding a sheltered spot outdoors to summer over your grouping of pots, it's a choice you'll have to consider carefully.

I know that if I had almost lost most of my bulbs to the rain and subsequent rot, I'd be very leary of putting them back in a similar situation. In fact, even though we don't have rains like you describe, I'm very hesitant of bringing all of my babies outdoors this year... I don't want to lose any of them to anything, be it bugs, rains or any other natural "disaster" that may occur! I have several duplicate varieties, and those will go out... but my more precious varieties will undoubtedly remain indoors.

• java_j
    15 years ago

Is there any way you could put some in a large container that could be left outdoors most of the time and brought inside or sheltered when it rains?

Last year I put four bulbs into a large tub. The tub is on a stand with wheels. If I thought it would rain, I would roll the tub onto the porch. No direct sunlight, but it did not get soaked either. All in all, it does not rain that much here, certainly not in the summer growing season.

I would not try moving precious bulbs outside. I would try it with one that is not so precious. If the technique works, you can try it again. If not. Oh well.

Here is a picture of my blooms in a tub.

{{gwi:410625}}

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm convinced. What I need is a cover over my deck so if it rains, they may get a bit, but would get lots and lots of sun (a big requirement). The deck needs replacing anyway -- it's just a $$$ thing. Thanks for helping me make up my mind. Like your tub setup Java. Very pretty.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I know that some people use carts on wheels to house their plants for summer... then, they can roll the cart to shelter when inclement weather strikes, i.e. rain or thunder storms.

Even wheelbarrows or little red wagons might be a good idea for grouping pots in... those could be pushed or pulled into a garage or shed on rainy days.

Planting multiple bulbs in large tubs on casters would work, too, as suggested above... actually, anything mobile enough to make a quick move possible would work out great.

I'm thinking of commandeering one of the wheelbarrows or yard carts for a few pots... that way, more of my plants could enjoy the summer sunshine and fresh air.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions