Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
e36yellowm3

Yippee - Perennial Hippis in z7

e36yellowm3
12 years ago

I'm happy to report that it looks like hippis just might be perennial in Zone 7! I took a chance and left out some of my Red Lions and those Breck's "Hardy" (Sonatini) bulbs last winter with a good covering of mulch/leaves, and sure enough they've come back and are blooming!

I'm so excited about this because, mostly, it means I have someplace new to stash a bunch of the bulbs and seedlings that I've run out of room for elsewhere. Looks like I might not have to move to Fla. after all, Cindee.

(Josh, guess what I found in the garden too? Looks like that pink/white "hardy" came back that you were interested in. Look to the right of the tall lilies. Maybe it just didn't bloom last year. A bulblet will have your name on it this summer ;-) )

Alana
{{gwi:410705}}From Spring 2011

Comments (5)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Alana,

That's just great!! Maybe I'll give it a try, I'm 6b in a good year...How many did you leave in the ground..and, did you loose any.. and, how deep did you plant them..and, how far down were the tips of the bulbs..??

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Donna, yes you should definitely give it a try. Especially in a protected area. I figured being next to the house and over where the water pipe comes in might be a bit warmer, but this year I will try some by the mailbox too.

I planted them so that their neck was just at ground height. I noticed during the winter that one of my bigger ones had lifted a bit, and in the spring the neck was very soft and that freeze also affected the first scape coming up. But now that bulb looks pretty good and has a second scape. I plant to dig it up when it's done blooming, separate the bulblets and plant it deeper.

I don't think I lost any - but really I don't know how many I had. This was all from one Red Lion I got as my first bulb in Lowes in '08, with all its accumulated bulblets. But it looks like they're all there. Funny thing is though, that I thought that bulb was a Red Lion since that's what it was marked. Now that I know more about bulbs, I look at the bloom and instantly know it isn't a Red Lion after all - some much darker red with green streaking in the throat. Either that or all the bulbs mysteriously changed ;-)

Actually leaving the Red Lions outside was Frank's idea (Raleigh Frank) and it was brilliant.

Alana

• Echo_of_your_past
    12 years ago

Alana,
    That is gr8 news..they look wonderful!

Sandra :)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Alana!

WOOHOO!!!! I knew it would be okay :)

I've planted a 'Limona' out today :) I had a Hippeastrum come back this year but it wasn't large enough to bloom when I planted it.. I'm not exactly sure what kind it is either, hopefully it will bloom next spring! It's growing VERY well tho!!!

I have a lot of Hippeastrum hybrids I'm planing out this year, I'm amending a bed with sand and granite for drainage and I'm going to plant them deep with a nice layer of mulch over top. I have a great feeling that they'll come back year to year! We will see!

Alana, I'm glad you found 'Flamingo', it's a beautiful hybrid for sure ;)

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh, that's great news on yours too. I've been busily planting out some seedlings. So 'Flamingo' is the pink trumpet? It's pretty for sure. I'm glad it came up again - it was just a little further back (and into the Hydrangea a bit) then I thought I would have put it. What do you suppose the 'ploidy is on them? I tried its pollen on Trentino which I think should be a match, but I was wondering about reg. tets like Moonlight.

Alana