Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to dig up and separate amaryllis?

Posted by dragonstone z8 NC (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 13:02

My amaryllis are cramped like heck. I keep reading that fall is the best time but I'm not sure exactly when. Is it when the weather is cool while the leaves are still intact? Is it after the leaves die down when you do it?

And what do I do if it's all rooted together? Some of my amaryllis grew in big pots before I decided to stick them in the ground to spread out. Some of them are jammed together pretty good.

I guess I'm asking because I've had a few buds that seemed to have gotten stopped short in the middle of the amaryllis batches and I'm assuming it was because they're crammed together pretty good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to dig up and separate amaryllis?

A neighbor of mine has an entire yard full. They do their dividing now. They were nice enough to share some offsets with me, and I just planted them this past weekend. They still had some foliage attached, but it is yellowing.

o

Even though the leaves are yellowing and will fall off, the bulb is still alive and will grow new leaves. This always happens to me when I move or send hippis via mail, and they always come back.

Alana

o

I guess I'll wait for the seed pods to be done before I try separating any. Thanks :)

o
pests on my amaryllis

I have a disease on my amaryllis. It is white and looks like white fly only there are not bugs. A nursery lady told me it was mealy bug and I have been treating them but nothing seems to happen. Whatever it is, it makes the leaves curl and the white powder like residue goes way down into the top of the bulb. Can anyone tell me what to do and what it is? These were my Grandmothers and I don't want to lose them. ann montgomery annmontgomery46@gmail.com

o

Ann,
Could you possible take a couple of clear close-up pictures of the damaged areas of your hippies and post them? There are may knowledgeable people on this forum and I think someone might have your answer..pictures would most certainly help..

Donna

o

Do himmi's get mildew??
dragonstone, do you have a garden fork - the one with about 4 tines on it? Use that to dig clumps. Put the clump on a table, or, if you're young enough, just get on the ground and start separating. You might possible need a knife.. OH NO>>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here