Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maida_gw

Komoriya Nursery

Ray Schuck
9 years ago

A couple of days ago Komoriya pulled all their Hippeastrum auctions off of eBay and today all their offerings are gone. Does anyone know what is happening? The last Hippeastrum bulbs I got from them were very nice and four out of six are blooming.
Maida

Comments (15)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I was wondering when someone would notice this!! They emptied their store a few days ago, starting with just the hippies and then the rest.

Maida, I'm glad you got some good bulbs and that some are actually blooming for you!! If you can, we (I) would love to see your flowers!!

Very recently they had been offering some really gorgeous new, never seen or offered before cybister types and I must admit I caved and bought a "few" I can't say mine were as nice as yours sound like they were and they had already bloomed, but I am trying my best to give them good care to see them through this transition.

I finally mustered up the courage to tell them about 2 bulbs that I purchased last year that had rotted on me (I hadn't previously told them) and I sent them pictures of the rotted bulbs and they are replacing one and the other they said they didn't have any of so they refunded my purchase price on PayPal. I thought that was very fair of them.

I have a feeling they will be back but if not I am glad I purchased some of these latest beauties. I couldn't control myself and now my addiction in on hold because they are no longer selling for the time being. âºâºâº

I know some of you have your own thoughts on this matter and If I hear anything (because I have asked) I will let you all know.

Donna

• HU-17497
    9 years ago

Autumn Rose Lady that I bought back in January still hasn't done a dang thing, how many other people that bought from Komoriya and are having the same problem. If enough people complained maybe Komoriya is trying to figure out a new way to handle it shipped there bulbs

9 years ago

Devon,

You might try a little rooting hormone on your bulb. I just tried that approach on my last few bulbs that refused to root and some of them go way back from last year! I just used Rootone which can be purchased at any nursery and hopefully this will work. I have noticed that several of my older Komoriya bulbs that had rooted but had no leaves all this time are finally starting to send up leaves so I'm still hopeful.

Donna

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

I too, was wondering what happened to their listings. Lucky you Donna!!! I would have loved to had gotten some of those new cybister types but they were a little too pricey for me so you better post pictures when they bloom!!!

I agree with Donna. I removed the second seed pod from Autumn Pink Lady yesterday and today I noticed that a leaf is finally coming, even though it has been rooted for quite some time. I have been very fortunate I think. Most of mine have either flowered or are rooted with leaves.

Good growing!

Nancy

9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I just received an answer from Komoriya as to whether or not they would be selling bulbs in the future. They say that they will resume selling on EBay this autumn or winter.

To me that means that they will in the future be selling bulbs after their growing season and during dormancy which should mean no more cut scape or distressed bulbs which can only benefit all of us who wish to purchase again.

Donna

• mariava7
    9 years ago

It's about time! This will be best for us and them. Some bulbs that I got from them had scapes cut out....again! Not really "healthy" for a bulb having that big fresh wound being shipped out.

9 years ago

Nancy,

I would be interested to see how prominent the stripe is in the leaves on your Autumn Pink Lady so when it get little size to it I would love to see a picture of the leaf! Mine are attempting to root so there won't be any leaves for a while. Thanks,

Donna

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

I sure will Donna. May be a little while though. I checked it again today and still only a peep showing but as soon as I can.

Nancy

• amaryllisstudygroup
    9 years ago

Hi Donna,
    Have you asked what their procedure is to prepare bulbs for shipping? Some of the bulbs I have received seem to be excessively stunned so they do not grow leaves for a year and sometimes roots for a year. It is somewhat similar to disturbing (moving etc.) bulbs in very hot climates just before or during bloom stage. Have they sometimes used a protective coating as is sometimes used here in the U.S. on fruits and vegetables? Bill

• hmseen
    9 years ago

Was informed that they are relisting sometime in June...

9 years ago

If I remember correctly, (can't seem to find the correspondence) they said they would be relisting hippeastrum in Autumn or Winter so you are probably correct that they will be re-listing their other stock in June. Well, we'll know in a few weeks...

• haweha
    9 years ago

I always read funny things about this Nursery, and I do not find that stuff all-too encouraging. My alternative-suggestion is, that everybody breed their own hybrids. I am constantly searching the web for interesting matter in this respect, and the most spectacular results I found were from crossbreeding with "Giraffe" - truly ONE MUST WATCH I absolutely PROMISE!
    Have fun:

Here is a link that might be useful: Giraffe Hybrids

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Donna, you were asking to see a picture of the Autumn Pink Lady's leaves and I said I would post a picture when mine got big enough to see. You may already have leaves but if not, here is what mine looks like.

Hugs,

Nancy

9 years ago

Nancy,

Thank you!! No, mine still don't have leaves but I think they are rooting a bit at least. Your leaves look just like I hoped they would look with a prominent stripe so I am confident now that mine will look like yours when they do decide to leaf out!

A few of my other Komoriya bulbs that had remained leafless are slowly sending up a leaf, after the better part of a year!! Another of my bulbs, Soarer, that initially had horrible marks on the leaves is now sending up 4 pristine healthy leaves. I do think that all the poisons and insecticides these bulbs were subjected to did affect the leaves on some of these bulbs and if they live, and we can wait long enough, some of them will be just fine. I am encouraged! My Komoriya bulbs are all together under lights in the furnace room and seem to be doing OK...no outside summer vacation for these guys!

Thanks again,.. Donnaâºâºâº