Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hippeastrum equestre=Hippeastrum puniceum?

Posted by janito 10/South Spain (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 13:36

Hello.I have received five bulbs from thailandia of hippeastrum equestre. It is the same plant(floor) that the hippeastrum puniceum?. Thank you.Juan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hippeastrum equestre=Hippeastrum puniceum?

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 08 at 21:21

Yes these are the same.

o

• Posted by janito 10/South Spain (My Page) on
    Sun, May 11, 08 at 2:44

Thank you.Juan

o

• Posted by janito 10/South Spain (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 17:34

Hello. Here this flower after two months.

Regards. Juan

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 8:25

It's beautiful, Juan! The green eye and white markings against the red look very nice! Thank you for sharing!

o

This is my H Equestre/puniceum. I have them plenty planted in my front yard. They tend to produce offsets easily.

Thailand and Malaysia (where I am from) are neighbouring countries :-)

Red coloured
Photobucket

Flower from another bulb,
Red

And this orange coloured
H Puniceum

The easiest way to make them to bloom, is to cut the foliage at the neck level, and if the bulbs are of flowering size, the blooms will be coming in about 2 months.
No digging required.

However, since planting them 8 months ago, so far I still do not have the courage to cut the foliage ... it is just too cruel!

Hatta

o

Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 9:58

They're all lovely... so dainty looking! I don't know that I could cut them, either! It does seem cruel to do while they are green and growing!

They are very nice, though... an entire bed of them would be stunning!

o

Beautiful! So delicate.

o

Juan and Hatta- Both of you have very beautiful blooms! I can imagine droves of these blowing in the wind. What a show! Thanks for sharing then with us!

-Frank

o

hatta-I had heard or read that the green foliage supplies nutrients to the bulbs. (help me here folks if I am wrong) I hesitate to cut bent leaves off my plants because I thought they bring so much to the bulb. So....my thought is DON"T CUT THE FOLIAGE!! Your plants/flowers are lovely and I thnk you for sharing!

o

Cindee, thanks you for the input. I am also thinking along the same line.

This is a picture of the garden bed that I made from that Orange Puniceum, with the length of the bed of about 5 feet. Hope you can see that there are two scapes pushing out

Photobucket

Thanks for looking!

Hatta

o

Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 9:34

A lovely little garden, and I see the scapes... blooms soon! What are the plants in the front row? Are they Eucharis, by any chance?

o

Thanks Jodi.

The plants in the front row are Eucrosia Bicolor a.k.a Peruvian Lily. It foliage resembles Eucharis, but the flower resembles red spider lily, only the colour is light red.

I also have Eucharis, but the leaves were eaten by snail(s) last week. They are not for show yet!

Hatta

o

Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 8:01

Ah, I see... I don't have any Eucrosia, but I do have a nice young Eucharis growing in a container. I can't wait until it blooms!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here