Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janito_gw

Hippeastrum equestre=Hippeastrum puniceum?

janito
15 years ago

Hello.I have received five bulbs from thailandia of hippeastrum equestre. It is the same plant(floor) that the hippeastrum puniceum?. Thank you.Juan

Comments (13)

• haweha
    15 years ago

Yes these are the same.

• janito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you.Juan

• janito
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello. Here this flower after two months.

{{gwi:410802}}

{{gwi:410803}}

Regards. Juan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

It's beautiful, Juan! The green eye and white markings against the red look very nice! Thank you for sharing!

• hatta
    15 years ago

This is my H Equestre/puniceum. I have them plenty planted in my front yard. They tend to produce offsets easily.

Thailand and Malaysia (where I am from) are neighbouring countries :-)

Red coloured
    {{gwi:382659}}

Flower from another bulb,
    {{gwi:410804}}

And this orange coloured
    {{gwi:382658}}

The easiest way to make them to bloom, is to cut the foliage at the neck level, and if the bulbs are of flowering size, the blooms will be coming in about 2 months.
    No digging required.

However, since planting them 8 months ago, so far I still do not have the courage to cut the foliage ... it is just too cruel!

Hatta

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

They're all lovely... so dainty looking! I don't know that I could cut them, either! It does seem cruel to do while they are green and growing!

They are very nice, though... an entire bed of them would be stunning!

• erin_juniper
    15 years ago

Beautiful! So delicate.

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Juan and Hatta- Both of you have very beautiful blooms! I can imagine droves of these blowing in the wind. What a show! Thanks for sharing then with us!

-Frank

• cindeea
    15 years ago

hatta-I had heard or read that the green foliage supplies nutrients to the bulbs. (help me here folks if I am wrong) I hesitate to cut bent leaves off my plants because I thought they bring so much to the bulb. So....my thought is DON"T CUT THE FOLIAGE!! Your plants/flowers are lovely and I thnk you for sharing!

• hatta
    15 years ago

Cindee, thanks you for the input. I am also thinking along the same line.

This is a picture of the garden bed that I made from that Orange Puniceum, with the length of the bed of about 5 feet. Hope you can see that there are two scapes pushing out

{{gwi:410805}}

Thanks for looking!

Hatta

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

A lovely little garden, and I see the scapes... blooms soon! What are the plants in the front row? Are they Eucharis, by any chance?

• hatta
    15 years ago

Thanks Jodi.

The plants in the front row are Eucrosia Bicolor a.k.a Peruvian Lily. It foliage resembles Eucharis, but the flower resembles red spider lily, only the colour is light red.

I also have Eucharis, but the leaves were eaten by snail(s) last week. They are not for show yet!

Hatta

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Ah, I see... I don't have any Eucrosia, but I do have a nice young Eucharis growing in a container. I can't wait until it blooms!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions