Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgebczynski

Unknown yellow/green misslabel

rgebczynski
10 years ago

Hello all, I think I have a second misslabel, moreover I'm sure of it. It's the bulb which I spoke earlier this year that in thought was infected. It still was poorly but set up two massive steams which worryingly grew very short, so I thought the bulb might be stressed because of what was going on before. But see for yourself. It was supposed to be hippeastrum Nagano and.... I don't know what is it. Please help.

Comments (14)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Wow!! I don't think I've ever seen such a GREEN Hippeastrum. Please post photos when completely open. This is not Nagano. Lucky you!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Very green and lots of veining..waiting to see it completely open...I hope it's as pretty as it looks like it's going to be!!

Donna

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

I would be super excited if I got a mislabel like this! The depth of color reminds me of some hippeastrum calyptratum that I've seen... but the shape will be all wrong for calyptratum. I can't wait to see more photos when it fully opens! -Tina

• dangles
    10 years ago

wow oh wow u are very lucky with this bulb I also want to see the photos of this even if its not that good of a shape use the pollen on something else that is green such as emerald star from maguires do the crosses both ways for the best results if u cant get a name give it a name that u think will suit it such as green dragon waitng with baited breath to see the photos of it fully open please don't disappoint us regards and happy growing

10 years ago

Rob, any progress on this bloom? Amazing green color! There is an H. Green Dragon...and I think yours is even greener.
    K

• rgebczynski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No,not really I mean basically the flowers don't open themselves. They just stay half opened. I thought it might be because the steams are too short but the side flowers shouldn't have the problem to open. So the flowers stay that was frozen like a brides bouquet. The green now is more lime with cream.I'll attach a picture later during the day.

But I wonder, as its normal that flowers of hippeastrum get brighter in sunny positions, and in case of Picotee the amount of markings increase. The mysterious lost some of its deep green to a greenish cream with green veins. And the bulb is in a all day long sunny window. But if it was in a shady position will it then have a darker green?

I personally love the green shaded hippeastrum that's why I'm planning to get a Evergreen if I find one. But I'm going to self this mislabel and see if it catches. I'll gladly share seeds if it goes well.

But still, what can it be. Something rare, something new or just something wrong with the bulb.

Rob

Ps: each of the steams has 6 flowers

This post was edited by rgebczynski on Sat, May 11, 13 at 16:14

10 years ago

Eden's Blooms shows very green Green Dragon, and as it opens it does go cream and green in another photo. I hope you can get a good ID. I hate not knowing names! Is this a big bloom?
    K

• rgebczynski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please see attached pictures.

• rgebczynski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also decided to do a picture in a bit brighter lightning

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Rob, There are several green/yellows or creamy greens out there. The only one I have is Evergreen which yours doesn't appear to be. I should think some one would have some suggestions for you.

Also, your bulb with it's short stem looks stressed to me, making your flowers stunted and not able to open properly. You may not be able to correctly ID it this year unless you can get a flower or two to open properly. Just enjoy it and try to keep it from rotting. I"ve had a few really short stems this year too and not on new bulbs so it happens...

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, May 12, 13 at 9:02

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

I agree with Donna, you won't be able to get a correct ID until you have a subsequent bloom that opens fully and is more true to whatever type of bloom it is. My best guesses at this point are either Green Dragon or Jade Serpent. Definitely get an Evergreen if you get the chance- it's a prolific bloomer and a great pollen donor! -Tina

• dangles
    10 years ago

Rob thank u for putting up more photos of your mislabled bulb im in full agreement with everyone on this and u will have to wait to see what it is However I would still do some crosses with it to see what u get with the babies Regards and happy growing Danny

• rgebczynski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is worrying news indeed if the bulb is stressed. I hope I will overcome this problem and next year it will reveal all of its beauty, and yes I will pollinate in the mean time. and I will try to self it.

Rob

• rgebczynski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did by a total accident answer my question of what this hippeastrum is today. Because I was looking what places sale hippeastrum Evergreen and I stumbled across this lovely one which is called Christmas Gift and I think it look very but very similar to mine, and furthermore the garden centre which I got my hippies from does sale this one too.