Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maquires orders?

Posted by sherryinmaine 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 14:31

Hi, I dont want to bug Ryan (already did once) but has anyone received their invoice for maguires order? I know he emailed a few days ago & said he had computer problems & he'd invoice the next day or so, or something like that. Did I miss the order?

Curious,
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maquires orders?

Sherry, I'm sure everything is fine, if you got your order to him by the 15th then don't worry. He has a lot to do, to prepare invoices for 20? people so don't be surprised if it takes a bit longer as he has to contact Maguires about this and that and that all takes time. Like death and taxes, bills will always come!!

Donna

o

thanks Donna, sometimes I accidentally delete things without seeing them . . . my order was put in, and I imagine that he is working very hard to prepare the invoices.
wasn't sure if I'd missed it; thanks for giving me perspective.

o

Hi Again Sherry, I just checked the spread sheet again and if you're the "Sherry" listed who ordered 7 bulbs, then you're all set!! I'm excited too...........

Donna

o

Hi Donna and Sherry, I haven't gotten my invoice yet either so no worries. I'm sure he'll let us all know when everything is final. It is a big bunch of bulbs this year I understand! I agree - it is fun. Alana

o

Hi all! I'm still waiting on the estimated shipping charges from Maguire's before I can get the invoices out to you. Once I know that charge, I can divide it among the total bulbs ordered, without over or under charging anyone.

Because the order is significantly larger this year, it's a bit harder to estimate the charges with any degree of accuracy given the variation in bulb sizes and weights.

Thanks for your patience! :-)

Ryan

o

I received my invoice, problems with the e-mail not delivering things to inbox, and paid. Can't wait for them to arrive and get planted and bloom!
Tally HO!

o

yep got mine couple days ago too!

o

Yahoo! Can't wait for mine! ;-) Alana

o

Now for the questions!! What to do with them when they arrive.......Should they be put in the fridge for a slumber or should they be potted up right away..... how cold is too cold if they are put in the refrigerator? I know many of you guys tried different methods last year with various results. Oh well, we'll coss that bridge when the arrive safely on US soil!!

Donna

o

Going to be potted up the day they arrive here.
Tally HO!

o

I potted mine as soon as I got them last year, they just have started to get leaves in the past two months. I think better results were had by those that gave theirs a cold rest. For the first 9 months they were just like rocks planted in dirt now there are three leaves on each, except for the one a caterpiller of some sort ate part of a leave off. Needles to say I squished him.

o

Since they will be arriving in Summer for all of us, how else would you give them a cold rest period other than the refrigerator? But wouldn't that be too cold? Your bulbs, that you potted right up did you water them at all or just leave them in the dry pots for 9 months until they showed some signs of growth? I'm afraid I'm going to be paranoid about doing the wrong thing......!!

Donna

o

Veronica Read gives a safe temperature range in her book for cold storage of hippi bulbs. Definitely worth a look at your local library if you don't have a copy.

I can't remember the exact range off the top of my head, if I've not already packed the book for moving, I'll try to look and find the appropriate chill range she recommends. I want to say it was some where around the low to mid 50's, but please don't quote me on that. Standard refrigerators keep things in the mid-30's to high-30's, so they generally can be too cold for hippi bulbs.

Phoenix Ryan

o

I potted them up and gave them a good drink, i continued to do that as i would with any other bulbs i would get. The bulbs themselves looked very healthy and always looked as if they were going to do something but it just took them a long time. I am sure there is a thread on here with pics from last years order of flowers that bloomed, i believe it also goes over some of the methods used to achieve them. I do remember for sure a few others that posted theirs also were just sitting in their pots. I am looking at it from the point of view that they will be SO beautiful they are making me anticipate their arrival for this long time!!!

o

Veronica Read say to keep them at 50-55 degrees, and that's what I did last winter when I only had about 15 bulbs that I took out of the pots for the winter. We have a furnace room that in the winter maintains that temp naturally. The bulbs all had a good cool rest and rewarded me with lots of flowers. But now it's summer, I guess I should read the want adds for one of those tiny little refrigerators, the kind they have in hotel rooms!! I wonder where I could find one of those for $20? We have a "mall" at our dump, I guess I'll ask my husband to keep his eye out for one, although he's about ready to strangle me as it is, with all my bulbs and seedlings and soaking seeds etc!!!

Donna

o

Last year, I let my bulbs rest in the basement for about six weeks. Temps were in the 60s. All three pushed up scapes when I potted them (although two aborted because terra cotta pots dried out). Two went dormant in late winter while the Stanwick never rested even though I reduced watering. The Lemon Splendour is about to bloom. I'll post a pic soon.
Jennifer

o

After one year, my Lemon Splendour from Maguires is finally blooming. Only two flowers on one scape but no complaints since it's a rather small bulb.

o

Very lovely photo, Jennifer. Lemon Splendour was well worth the wait!

Cheers,

Blanca

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here