Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitty747

What is it?

kitty747
15 years ago

Have had this bulb since 2000 -- one that survived the rot! It's a reliable bloomer. It was apparently a S. African one, but not real sure. It was labeled Flair when I got it, and that's what I've always called it, but quite sure it's not Flair. Does anybody have one that looks like this? I've done some research, but so far have not spotted it.

{{gwi:401686}}

Here is a closeup. It's really quite a light color.

{{gwi:411046}}

Anyhow, it produced a lovely pod with tons of nice seed that just opened today. So, I'd like to know what it really is, plus have lots of seed to share. Kitty

Comments (9)

• haweha
    15 years ago

The flowers make a splendid show; Congratulations!
    I suggest "Wonderland"

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

It's gorgeous! I recall seeing one like it some time ago... but I'm not sure where... let me think on it... it might come to me. As I'm sure you're aware, I have the world's worst memory! No promises, but I'll look around and maybe something will jog my brain!

Wonderland sounds familiar... maybe that's it. I'm certainly no identity expert!

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In my searching today, I did happen upon Wonderland, but thought, "naw, that was too easy." It is pink. It's one of my favorites. As you all probably recall, most of that 2000 batch was mislabeled, but when you get ones like this one, Rozetta, Carina, and Unique, who really cares :-)

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Is the flower a small-medium sized one? The inner red marking/stripe makes is so similar to Amourette/Amoretta's.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I think Sir Hans is correct... it looks very much like Wonderland.

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sir Hans, thanks for the nice compliment and for the ID. I think she is really quite pretty. Maria, for a while I did consider Amoretta, but then found that she was referred to as "petite" while this one is about two feet tall when in bloom. You picked up on the inner red markings which I had never really noticed. Isn't it wonderful that we have access to so many wonderful people while sitting right in our own homes in front of a computer? Below is a link I found when researching Wonderland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wonderland

• haweha
    15 years ago

referred to as "petite"...
    And, the flower's segments are narrower in Amourette / Amoretta.
    Congratulations that you received seeds from your flowers, Kitty.
    I wonder what results you could obtain out of
    "Wonderland" x "Appleblossom" :)

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sir Hans, Am assuming these seed are selfed, since I don't remember anything else blooming at the time. My Appleblossoms are all rather "delicate" looking at this point and don't do an awful lot, perhaps one scape if I'm lucky. Hope some day they will be nice and sturdy. Have several of them. However, here again, am wondering if they are all truly Appleblossoms even. Perhaps they will all bloom someday and I can compare. I may try the Wonderland x Appleblossom next spring. In the meantime if you would like some Wonderland seed, I'd be happy to supply.

• haweha
    15 years ago

This is a temptating offer!
    Thank you Kitty.
    I have already tooo.ooo.ooo many seeds laying here, waiting to be planted. Believe me! :(

Sponsored
More Discussions