Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Germinating Seeds of Apple Blossom x Lady Jane !!!

Hi Guys, Well just in case you forgot, I had a giant seed pod of Apple Blossom x Lady Jane give me quite a few strange looking seeds! They were brown and cream colored, quite large and plump. I'm going to post the pictures again to refresh your memories...

This is the actual flower that gave the viable seeds, the other pod was selfed and it shriveled....
{{gwi:393993}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

and here is the seed pod..........
{{gwi:409313}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

and here are the strange looking seeds...........look at this picture at 150% and you can see the marbling of color

{{gwi:411273}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

and here are five polliwogs!!(sp?) There are many more that are starting to sprout!! They look healthy and have a nice strong clear white root!! What do you think??
{{gwi:411274}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

Thanks for looking,

Donna

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Donna, looks good! you are going to have lots of pollywogs!
    Good job!

Jan

• npublici
    13 years ago

If,indeed that is Apple Blossom,as it appears to be,then you have a rare cross, where the genes of Apple blossom are carried forward as female parent. This is a very rare thing. It could cause genes to be expressed where they would not be as pollen parent. Apple Blossom is commonly thought of as seed sterile. You are one of very few people who have claimed to have gotten viable seeds from Apple blossom.I think you are going to have some unusual seedlings.
    Growing selfed and intercrossed seedlings of those seedlings is even more important,because of the possibility of 25 percent recessive genes coming forward.
    Moreover, The Lady Jane you crossed it with is a strong, vibrant, showy parent. You couldn't have chosen better.
    Del

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Del, That is the reason why I posted the exact flower that this seed pod came from, I was wondering if someone out there would identify it as something else. It was extremely fragrant as Apple Blossom is. I have two Apple Blossom plants, one spent this blooming season on the kitchen counter and the other is in another room, so there is absolutely no mix-up between plants. I could post other pictures of the kitchen counter Apple Blossom if you think it would help someone identify it as something else. The only reason I choose Lady Jane, was because it was blooming on the window sill just above it, never thinking it might take, just did that one and a self. Now, I won't be offended if someone of the experts (including you) feel this is something else! Did you look at the mottled coloring on the seeds? Is that normal in come crosses? I planted up 6 sprouted seed today and I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with 15 or 20! Of course, it remains to be seen if I can grow them on............

Donna

• elizabeth_jb
    13 years ago

Donna,

It is normal to see those spotted seeds if there is a ploidy mix. Ie., if you cross a Diploid X a TET, you will see lots of those and only get a few (if you are lucky) to succeed.

We see that a lot in the south because we tend to let them grown in areas where bees, etc. pollinate without regard to ploidy.

There are several 'look alike' Apple Blossom, but keep in mind that it has been reported before that she has produced seeds. I have tried myself and was not successful. That does not mean that it cannot happen.

We are all looking forward to seeing your beautiful seedlings bloom! Treasure those seeds!

Ann

• npublici
    13 years ago

Donna, I have seen seeds which have that appearance,even in crosses which are of the same chromosome count.It usually means reduced fertility,or infertile seeds. However,it is not always true.
    As Ann states there are many flowers resembling Apple Blossom. I have produced a few myself. I've never seen one which I knew was a diploid,however. The fragrance in it is definately a vote for Apple Blossom.The fact that its seeds are partially infertile causes me to believe even more that it is probably Apple Blossom. There are exceptions to every rule. When in doubt-Pollinate.
    Del

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I suppose the next time she blooms I could pollinate every flower and see if she will again produce viable seeds, but would I have to again, only pollinate with Lady Jane, or would a bit of this and that do?? If she did produce seeds again then she probably would be something other than a genuine Apple Blossom?? Of course, that's a long way off, I don't remember my Apple Blossom ever blooming in the summer, and I wouldn't have any pollen, especially Lady Jane's. By the way, this was not a new bulb, I've had it for a couple of years. Here are a couple more pictures of the same bulb.
    {{gwi:411275}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

{{gwi:411276}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

{{gwi:411277}}From FLAMING PEACOCK

Sorry if I've posted the same picture, I can't see what I already posted, I'm winging it! Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, looks like you've got a bunch of viable seeds - whatever the parentage. Congrats. Your bloom sure does look like the real Apple Blossom too.

Alana

• npublici
    13 years ago

Donna,pollinate it with whatever strikes your fancy. If you had listened to me, when I said Apple blossom is seed infertile,you might have never tried it. I always try. Sometimes it works and all those rules no longer apply. It would be interesting to see if it will set seed with a diploid,such as Papilio, as pollen parent.
    Del

Sponsored
More Discussions