Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Vivaldi?

sun_worshiper
10 years ago

I saw this hippi at Lue Gardens in Orlando, where it is labeled as Vivaldi. On another thread oleg9grower pointed out that it may not be Vivalidi. So I'm starting this thread so we can discuss this one, and other similar looking ones.

{{gwi:392692}}

Comments (7)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Well, I have to agree with Oleg and Kristi that I think it's a vittatum hybrid of some sort...just my opinion though as I'm not positive but I don't think it is Vivaldi...

Donna

Also, I'm sure that Maria posted a picture of her Vivaldi but I can't seem to find it, it must be under some obscurely labeled thread...

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, May 26, 13 at 17:17

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

Hello, I am glad that this topic is Deck.
    Here is hippeastrum I purchased at grandmother at the local
    ordinary bazaar:{{gwi:411350}}The second photo unfortunate, but I decided to show him that it was clear green color tube. He also leaves special: they are relatively short clearly lanceolate, quite wide.{{gwi:411351}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Here is my version of vittatum. This was an Ebay bulb and the red was more raspberry than true red and it was also highly fragrant. It was not sold as vittatum just from someones yard. They sold dozens of these, in fact they may still be selling them.
    This bloomed with these stressed flowers on a short scape and I did manage to get a couple of selfed seeds which I am growing on, hoping to see if they are true.

When one googles vittatum there are many variations, one that does look just like mine with the dark cherry center.

I think many of us have our own version of vittatum and I'm happy with mine as it was so very fragrant and the contrast between the stark white and the raspberry was startling. Most of the white versions though do not have the red center but I did find a few...

Donna

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

Yes, my version, too, with a pleasant flavor without bitterness. I agree with you Donna - as well as other kinds of wild plants, vittatum has many forms and varieties. Shown in my photo is in the center of the cilia only red.
    Still think it's important the fact that vittatum produces seeds from self-pollination. It also reproduces well of bulblets. :)

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

doubled

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Tue, May 28, 13 at 5:12

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oleg9grower, your picture does look very, very similar! And Donna's seems to only differ with the red throat markings. I'll have to keep my eye out to acquire one of these types, as they are so striking!

How tall are both of yours? One of the things I liked about the one at Leu Gardens is how big it was - well past knee high!

Angela

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

The scape height 40 cm it is approximately 16 inches, but height of scape depends on the brightness, fertilizers, etc.. The differences between my and flower from your photo still is - the petals on your wider. Warmer shade of red veins, etc. In this I agree with Donna: our shade of red is raspberry.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions