Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Surprise!!!

Posted by mitsukiwi FL 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 16:20

And I almost missed it! I just happened to notice something red, laying on the mulch in one of my beds. Imagine my shock to find this!

photo Sprekeliaformosissima5-1-14.jpg
Sprekelia formosissima

This is the first flower I have ever had on these and I nearly didn't see it. It was laying face down on the mulch. It is now safely staked up so I can enjoy it! They are such shy bloomers, I never thought I would see the day. Maybe it bloomed now because I got some new ones, hoping a different strain would bloom for me.

Whatever works...right?

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Surprise!!!

Awesome!! What a lovely bloom. Doesn't look like falling on its face hurt it. Mine are growing from seed, so I have a few years left to wait for blooms! Look at all that pollen!
WHOO HOOO!!
Kristi

o

Nancy that is just a gorgeous picture, I don't recall ever seeing a better shot of sprekelia formosissima!!! Good for you and even after falling on her face she is gorgeous!!

I have 3 bulbs that are planted in a pot that appear to have gone dormant for a few months now so the other day I stuck my finger in to make sure there wasn't any rot and they seemed hard so I guess I will just have to wait.

I also have a Durgha Pradhan and another sprekelia hybrid that I got from EBay that looks just like Durgha Pradhan that was named Mylan and both are growing nice green leaves and didn't seem to require a resting period. Maybe I'll get a bloom from one of those but I'd never get such a perfect picture as you just have!!

Donna

o

I have a dozen and for over a dozen years, I have done all I could and they have refused to bloom. Now they are at a corner of day lily bed and have decided to forget them.
Arif

o

Yep Kristi...I grabbed that pollen. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. :) Thinking about Emerald for one. It's just about ready for pollen. I hope I have better luck than some of the other crosses I've tried this year.

Thank you Kristi and Donna both for your nice comment. I couldn't believe it wasn't smushed when I raised it up. It really is a lovely flower.

I have the Durgha Pradhan too but it hasn't bloomed yet. Can't wait to see your flowers Donna. Don't forget to post them.

The new Sprekelia formosissima bulbs I got are Gold Dust. I read somewhere that they are better bloomers. I sure hope so. Does anyone have those? I have read two different descriptions...one said they are edged in gold, the other says they are overlayed with gold dust. Either way sounds beautiful.

Nancy

o

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for posting your wonderful photo!

Sprekelia formosissima blooms have so much personality. Whenever my Sprekelia bulbs bloom, they bring a huge smile to my face. I call them my Dr. Suess plants. Can you visualize them sporting natty top hats?

I also grow Sprekelia 'Orient Red,' but have yet to see them bloom. Please post a photo of your Sprekelia 'Gold Dust' when ithey bloom. I would love to see their gold edging/dusting.

Cheers and kind regards,

Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Sat, May 3, 14 at 6:44

o

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your Sprekelia 'Orient Red' too Blanca. What are they supposed to look like? I just may have to try to find some now since I finally have a flower. It has renewed my faith.

I had to chuckle about the natty top hats because as I was reading that, I could picture it. lol

Arif, that is pretty much what I had done...forgot about them since I didn't think they were ever going to bloom. So don't give up. Or maybe that is what you need to do to get them to bloom. lol

Nancy

o

Nancy,

Sprekelia formosissima ‘Orient Red’ is said to be easier to bloom, have larger flowers, and bloom more frequently.

Happy growing,

Blanca

o

It's CONTAGIOUS!!
I had totally forgotten that I had this out front in a group of pots (mostly of H. San Antonio Rose). I don't think this has every bloomed, and I'm not quite sure when I got it...maybe a couple of years ago. SO.....another surprise!! (pending)
K

o

Wow, will you look at that!! It must be time for these to bloom but mine isn't even thinking about it ,no leaves yet. Love the bright red bud. Can't wait to see the flower!!

Donna

o

Whoo hooo kaboehn! That is so great. Glad I started something good for a change. :) Can't wait to see it opened. I didn't get to see my bud so I missed out on the anticipation!

Nancy

o

Kristi thats great, that yours is finally going to bloom. Nancy would you say yours produces allot of offsets like the one in Kristis picture?

o

Devonfawn, if I recall correctly, there were quite a few but I can't swear to it. I have a couple of areas that I fight with an armadillo over and that is one of them. Last fall that was one of the beds that he made a mess of. I constantly treat those areas for grubs but it doesn't seem to matter. I have tried every remedy and method I could find but I can't get rid of the beast. And no, this one doesn't roll up in a ball and play dead either. If he did, I could scoop him up and move him out. But instead, he runs and I chase him. Grrrrrr!

Nancy

o

Nancy,

The next time you have a visit from your friendly armadillo would you please take a picture of him?? I am dying to see what they look like in person!! To someone in Massachusetts this would be an exotic animal!! Over here we are invaded by wild turkeys and they have moved into our yard stealing birdseed and are not even afraid of us anymore. Really funny to watch but they poop all over the yard!!☺☺☺

Donna

o

Nancy,
OMG... sort of laughing! I have a Amarillo too. They are so destructive. My yard was full of holes. I think he was digging for grubs. I caught him in a Havahart trap and relocated him. They are very scary looking up close (those claws) and they carry diseases. Between squirrels, raccoons, opposums, and armadillos...I have a real wild kingdom!

My bloom has opened. Will post tonight. Should I just self it? Only blooming Hippeastrum is Papilio. My season is over.
K

o

Playing with new camera, so posting sooner than planned. File and image were huge! Need to work on that.

Devon, I count 11 offsets.
K

o

Very pretty!! Yours seems to be a taller slimmer version than Nancy's maybe it's a different variety?

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, May 7, 14 at 21:14

o

Nancy's pollen anthers seem much more green at the origin and mine definitely has a white picotee. Looking around the internet there seems to be some variation between clones.

Just noticed that stigma is wide open....will try and pollenate tonight.

K

o

On the Pacific Bulb Society's page, there is, a photo labeled as 'Orient Red' that seems to look exactly like mine.
K

Here is a link that might be useful: PBS Sprekelia page

o

Oh nice Kristi! I like yours a lot too. It does look different than mine. Is it a lighter red or was the picture taken with a flash? If those are Orient Red, I may just have to find some. I'm so happy for you. I hope you tried pollinating both ways with your papilio. I think that would be an interesting cross if it would take.

You were so lucky you were able to trap your armadillo in a Havahart trap. I tried that too...setting it up in his run with the funnel system but he just went around. So destructive is right! I too have a lot of critters here. Along with your squirrels, raccoons and possums, I have red foxes, spotted skunks, black bears and Great Blue Herons that ate my Koi!!!

Sorry Donna but Armadillos are nocturnal so it is dark when they do their dirty deeds. I don't usually see them unless it is when I take the dogs out and then it is the tail end as I chase them out of my beds. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me the night I was outside picking snails in the middle of the night. I felt something brush my bare toes and thought it was the cat. It was the armadillo sniffing my toes. I was afraid he thought my toes were grubs! I could have gotten a really good shot that night if I hadn't started yelling. He took off with me right behind. lol

Nancy

o

This post inspired me to check mine. I found this bloom on Monday.

So they are blooming during the same week in Florida, Texas, and California.

Interesting! Here he is for comparison.

-Blanca

Sprekelia formosissima photo Sprekelia2_zps4ee6223a.jpg

o

Oh Blanca...that is wonderful! This is really interesting. Yours has the coloring of Kristi's but more the shape of mine. Is that your Orient Red or the standard one? I love how they each have their own look.

Don't give up Donna, there is still time for you.

Arif, you need to check yours. Maybe this is the year!!!

Nancy

o

Hi Nancy,

This is my Sprekelia formosissima.
The 'Orient Red' has produced a nice offset, but has yet to bloom.

-Blanca

P.S. I'm sorry about your Koi. I grew up with a large Koi pond in my backyard.
They are so beautiful. When I rang a bell, they would come to the surface to feed.

o

Blanca, that's good to know that it is the common one so we can get excited all over again when the Orient Red blooms. Still lovely.

Thank you. I was so sick over the Koi. I had had them 5-6 years and they were getting some good size. Suddenly, they began disappearing. They always swam up to the wall when they heard me walking on it for their dinner. I couldn't understand it, thinking at first it was raccoons but the pond was too big. Then I happened to look out the sliding doors and there that bird was, feasting away. I ran outside to chase him off but he wasn't about to give up his food. He took off after me and chased me in the house. That wasn't good enough for him either. He spent hours throwing himself against the sliding doors. It was really quite frightening since he filled up the whole size of the doors. I thought he was going to break the glass. They are biiiiiiiiig.

Nancy

o

Blanca, your bloom is beautiful!

Donna pointed out that on the PBS site it said that 2 clones were needed for pollination. Well...since I have only 1 and only 1 bloom, I mixed Papilio pollen with the Sprekelia pollen in case one or the other might take. I'm not overly hopeful, but the difference should be clear with they bloom (7 years from now!).

Nancy, you were brave to accidently get so close to the armadillo! Between the teeth and claws, I steer clear, but as you said, they do their destruction in the middle of the night. We also have fox and skunk, but no bears! We also have white egrets, and many kinds of heron, which is why my fish pond is on the enclosed porch!! I've heard too many stories of herons snacking on beloved pet fish!

I think it's great that all our Sprekelia are blooming together. Thank you Nancy for posting yours, as I'm not sure I would have noticed mine tucked away! The prior photo was taken with a flash (it was still a bit dark outside). The photo attached with this message was taken outside in natural light. It was extremely windy out, so I did the best I could!
K

o

Apologies to everyone for veering off topic for a wee bit.

Nancy,

They are big! But, I've never been chased by one. Yikes! Primal fear.
Fish Hatchery Creek runs through this property year-round.
Three fish-eating bird species: The Great Blue Heron, Osprey, and Great White Egret nest and hunt here. They are amazing to behold.

-Blanca

o

Good morning and thank you, Kristi. Like Nancy's, yours is beautiful.
I've never been able to get my Sprekelia to set seed. One of the reasons I purchased 'Orient Red' is that I wanted another clone so that I could finally get seed. We may all have different Sprekelia clones. If so, we should coordinate a pollen exchange.

Best,

Blanca

o

To add a little more excitement (or confusion) into the mix, on the Shields Garden site (link below), they show 2 more Sprekelia that are more orange than red.

They have an orange-ish one; Sprekelia 'High Priest' (Shields) was registered and introduced in about 1982. It was from the cross ['Orient Red' X formosissima f. williamsii]. There is also a photo of Sprekelia f. williamsii, which is also more orange.

Blanca, your idea of a pollen swap is great, but it seems that we get little notice of an impending bloom! Guess that's just why the developed FedEx/UPS!
K

Here is a link that might be useful: Shields Garden

o

I happened upon this luscious photo of "Orient Red" from someone's personal photo album on the internet and to me this has got to be the best yet!! Does anyone have any ideas why this particular plant has such vivid white stripes or are there different clones of "Orient Red"?

As for sharing pollen one could always freeze it and wait until the opportunity presents itself. Myself, I would just rather have an offset or buy one if possible, the 7 year wait is a bit too much for me...☺☺☺

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Orient Red from Internet

o

Bulbs Direct has Sprekelia "Gold Dust" for sale.....yes, I'm an enabler!
K

o

They're sold out!! How many did you buy Kristi??

o

Just 2 for $13. They only had 6....!
K

o

My pleasure Kristi! Just glad I got ya all to look at yours! Kristi, your second picture is just gorgeous! I agree with Donna...7 years is a little long for me to wait too. I even question all the seeds I have started this year. Not a spring chicken here.

Oh and BTW, Floral Architecture has Sprekelia Red Orient for $10.00 each.

Wanted to do my share of enabling too! :)

Nancy

o

My bloom looks so thin compared to the voluptuous blooms that you and Blanca have posted!
K

o

Well, you'll just have to plump he her up, try feeding her more food, that usually does it for most of us!! ;-)

o

ENABLING ALERT:
Terra Ceia has them; 3 bulbs for $12.57 (plus shipping).
K

Here is a link that might be useful: Terra Ceia Sprekelia

o

Enabler part II:
Brent and Becky's Bulbs has them listed for $4.59 each (plus shipping).
K

Here is a link that might be useful: Brent and Becky's Bulbs Sprekelia

o

Here is part of a response that I received from Bjørn (Rareplants.eu) re: the questionable identity of MY Sprekelia:

"...However, Sprekelia formosissima is a variable species, some specimens have broader and other narrower petals (as well as leaves). The colour also is not always of this deep blood red, but might be lighter red. Your particular plant looks like a seed raised specimen which shows this variability. But in my opinion it is still within the natural variation of Sprekelia formosissima. ..."

He went on to say that, if my plant is seed-raised, AND the grower raised both species (formosissima and howardii), there is a very slim chance that my plant could be a hybrid of the two Sprekelia species.

K

o

Uh Ohhhhhhhhh........

I have another Sprekelia in bloom and I think it is sick. I was so excited to see a second flower until I got a good look at it. What is wrong with this one? I would wonder if it is the "Gold Dust" but the stamens & pollen sacs look messed up. It isn't very far away from the first one and I don't want it to make the others sick. Please help!!!! What is it and what should I do?

photo Sprekeliaformosissima5-9-14a.jpg

photo Sprekeliaformosissima5-9-14.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts and any info!

Nancy

o

Nancy, did it get pummeled by rain?
K

o

No Kristi, not a drop of rain here for several weeks and we need it bad. I don't know what to do with it. Do I dig it up and toss it or is it supposed to look like that? I wish that armadillo hadn't torn up that bed so bad that the bulbs got scattered all over and the tags missing or misplaced in case it is the "Gold Dust" clone. I don't think it is that though.

Further advice, please.

Nancy

o

Ugh.... Doesn't look right for sure. Pollen is all scattered, which is why I thought it might have been rain! I would look on line for someone selling "Gold dust" and send his photo asking if this is what it looks like. The description I saw said sprinkled with gold dust, not little white spots!!

Sorry!
Kristi

o

Ok, I just looked up about 7 different hits on sprekelia Gold Dust and they all had this same picture, nothing else! As you can see (hopefully) they appear to be gold streaks and not spots or dots and as Kristi says yours are white.

If it were mine, I would dig it up and put it in a pot and move it to a segregated spot in your yard and wait for the leaves to emerge and see how they look after being exposed to the hot sun for a while. If they continue to be clear healthy green through the summer then you might give it another chance but if it shows mottling on the leaves than I would trash it.

Do you have dogs that relieve themselves out in your garden or is this bulb planted under some other tree or plant that gives off something that might have dripped on it?

Donna

o

I just had another thought, I read somewhere where these bulbs are prone to mealy bug infestation but since your bulb is totally under the soil I don't suppose mealy bugs thrive in bulbs under the soil, do they (?) they usually are partial to leaves but as I said, it was just a thought.

Donna

o

Thrips damage?

o

I do believe this bulb is one of the "Gold Dust" but I don't think it is supposed to look like this either. It is not attractive at all.

I looked up each of your suggestions, thank you, and it looks like a very good possibility it is thrips. Than you so much for mentioning that one Maria. By looking up pictures of thrips damage, I finally solved an ongoing problem with a ficus bonsai. I have several but only have a problem with one of them and I found an identical picture of a ficus with thrips!!! Amazing!

I have taken your advice Donna and have potted it up, isolated it and treated it with a 3 in 1 systemic! I do have dogs but that is not their area. :)

Kristi, I am going to write to Bulbs Direct and ask about them since that is where I got the "Gold Dust".

Thanks so much for all the help. Hopefully it is an insect I can control and not a disease.

Hugs,

Nancy

o

Nancy,
How long ago did you get this bulb?
K

o

Kristi, I just checked and I got this bulb March 3 of this year.

Unbelievably, I noticed today it has another scape coming. I didn't get a chance to take a picture today since I had the kids here for Mother's Day dinner. I will take one tomorrow though.

I still can't believe it has another scape...maybe even a new offset. Will know more tomorrow when I have time to really check it out.

Hope all the mothers here had a wonderful day with their families.

Nancy

o

Here is the 2nd scape on the messed up Sprekelia (that really came up fast). I can't tell yet but it looks like it could have that same speckled look. The new leaf looks ok so far though. What looked like an offset forming seems to be drying up.

photo 2ndbloom.jpg

See Donna? I did dig it up and put it in a pot. :) It is now away from everything else!

I wrote to Bulbs Direct and got a very nice email back. They said they would have their disease expert in this week to take a look at the pictures I sent and would get back with me. They also assured me that my order is guaranteed. Nice people!

I will let you know what they say.

Nancy

o

Well darn! This flower looks like the other one. Maybe not quite as bad but bad enough.

photo 2ndbloom1.jpg

photo 2ndbloom2.jpg

The new leaves don't appear to be affected though.
 photo 2ndbloomleaves.jpg

Any new thoughts? Still waiting to hear back from Bulbs Direct.

Thanks,

Nancy

o

Oh... Yikes! My bulbs should be here in the next day or two. I think others ordered them too. At least we know what to look for.
K

o

Oh No!! Nancy I'm glad you dug these up!! This can't be normal, who in their right might would buy a bulb that they knew was going to look like that!! ;-) Although I will say the leaves appear to be normal...

Donna

o

I still haven't received my bulbs. I hope they aren't sitting somewhere cooking in a hot truck. Not so hot here yet, but should be nearly 90 this coming week.
K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Mon, May 19, 14 at 18:52

o

My bulbs arrived today, just as I had hoped. In very good shape, direct from The Netherlands. One moderate sized bulb, and one fairly large bulb with two offsets and already the tip of scape showing (and a very long neck)! I guess we'll know soon enough what these Sprekelia formosisdima "gold dust" look like!

Nancy, you ordered yours from BD too, right?
Devon, have yours arrived yet?
K

o

That's great! I can't wait to see what yours look like!

o

Bulbs look fine. No fresh roots, so they've been sitting around. In fact, no real roots to speak of, but not scrubbed raw like others I've seen. I'm hopeful!
K

o

Hi Kristi,
My bulbs arrived today from Bulbs Direct and I was very pleased with both of them. They each have a scape coming. My only concern is that they were not labeled as Gold Dust, just Sprekelia formosissima. I guess I will find out when they bloom.
Maida

o

Yes Kristi, my bulbs were from BD. I am dying to see how your and Maida's flowers turn out. I just hope mine is the only one affected.

Holding my breath,

Nancy

o

Only another day or so to wait!! That scape shot up over the weekend and the bud sheath has peeled back. I'll know in another day or so.

Maida...what is your Sprekalia doing?? (Bet you don't have to water for a while!! I had 6" of rain at my house!!)
K

o

Hi K,
I'll check in the morning but I don't think that they have done much since they arrived. Only 4" of rain here. We don't really need any more until this soaks in.
M

o

Dear all,

Over the holiday weekend, I got a pleasant surprise when I found ‘Orient Red’ starting to open its maiden bloom. Here are some photos taken today. The flower is large measuring 7.5” wide x 9” long. Now, it’s time to see if this clone will accept pollen from Sprekelia formosissima.

@ Nancy: Did you ever receive a definitive reply from Bulbs Direct? I’ve never seen flowers afflicted quite like that, but my guess is some type of insect damage.

@ Kristi and Maida: I’m looking forward to seeing your ‘Gold Dust’ bulbs in bloom.

Cheers,

Blanca

Sprekelia 'Orient Red' photo SprekeliaOrientRed_zps4987a89e.jpg

Sprekelia 'Orient Red' 2 photo SprekeliaOrientRed2_zps9bab31de.jpg

o

Gold Dust is just starting to open. I just had time to snap a quick photo with the phone prior to running out the door at 7AM. I'll take photos with a better camera tonight.

So far, I'm not impressed, but it does look healthy.
K

o

Both beautiful Ladies!!

o

Well, I got home late again, so the light was very indirect. I did notice that the petals seemed to have a dusting of "fairy dust", but it is impossible to capture when you are trying to photograph it! (and...I'm still learning the settings on my new camera). Maybe that's what the "Gold Dust" refers to...?

This one is redder than the other one, and again very curvy. I am going to pollinate it with the pollen from the first, just in case it's a different clone. The stigma was fully extended before the bloom even opened. It's a shame that their bloom only lasts a couple of days.
K

o

Since I still don't know if the one on the right is some other variety....here they are for comparison.

o

Very nice and very healthy looking! ;Your sprekelia Gold Dust looks like she's been dancing and just finished a pirouette and is about to bow to the audience!!☺☺☺

They certainly look to me like they are different varieties so you should have some lovely children from these two if they like each other!

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:13

o

I hate not knowing actual IDs!!!
K

o

They are lovely!

-Blanca

o

We are supposed to have more rain tomorrow, so I brought Sprekelia f. "Gold Dust" into the house to pollinate and to escape the weather and snails! I took many more photos, and think I've captured a bit of the "Gold Dust". See what you think...

Blanca, your "Orient Red" is very pretty and classic. What kind of foliage does it have? I noticed that my unknown Sprekelia f.___ (the more orange-y, thin bloom) has very thin, bright/light green (nearly grass-like) leaves and the Sprekelia f. "Gold Dust" has thick, dark green leaves. I know that must be a hint to ID.
. K

o

I just realized.... I planted these on May 19. It was only 10 days from nothing to bloom. That's nearly instant gratification!!
K

o

Ten days to bloom, for me ten years to no bloom.To whom to complain?
Arif

o

Kristi,

In contrast to my Sprekelia formosissima species bulbs, which have tall swordlike evergreen foliage, the 'Orient Red' cultivar produced its maiden bloom without any foliage. However, within two days of the flower starting to open, a small leaf with a reddish edge that is visible both front and back; emerged from the base of the scape. The pigmented leaf edge may disappear with time, but for now it is a notable difference from the species. When the leaf grows larger, I will post a photo. I am wondering if foliage will accompany future blooms. The stigmas of the species blooms also appear more distinctly purple to me.

Unlike you, I was unable to capture nary a hint of the radiance that sparkled like gold in the sunshine and shimmers like molten rubies indoors. Congrats on the new camera! On Wednesday night, after posting the photos, I pollinated the flower. By Thursday morning, it had withered dramatically. As this has never happened in any of my previous attempts to pollinate Sprekelia formosissima, I am hopefully optimistic.

-Blanca

o

I can see some of the gold dusting!! I think next season I'll order one too. Lots of lovely pictures on this thread which make it excellent for future reference!
I only have Sprekelia formosissima and I'm hoping when it blooms it is as lovely as Nancy's and Blanca's blooms!

Donna

o

Hi Donna,

With your wonderful care, it will be!

-Blanca

o

Blanca, the red in your 'Orient Red' is so rich and saturated. Both of my blooms have been a bit orange, with the first being more so.

Donna, I know we'll see photos of your blooms sitting by your living room window that overlooks the bay. How could a plant not be happy in your home.

Arif, you'll have to speak to Him, as He seems to be the only one that can control our blooms!
smileys emoticons photo: coin flip thcoinflip.gif

:-)
K

o

Maida....any news from your bulbs? Yours should be blooming soon!!
Nancy, did you get any response from Bulbs Direct?

I put pollen on the new bloom, but it didn't start wilting, so I'm not as hopeful as Blanca.
K

o

Hi Kristi,
One of my 'Gold Dust' is blooming and it looks just like yours with the red bloom scape. The other one has a green bloom scape coming up very slowly and I think that it must be something else. I will let you know when it blooms.
M

o

Hi All,

I am loving all the pictures now. Lovely Kristi & Blanca! I love all the different subtle shapes and colors.

Donna, you are so right...Kristi's Gold Dust does look like she has been dancing.

I still haven't heard anything back from Bulbs Direct but you guys reminded me it's been a while so I sent them an email again...in case they forgot me. If I don't hear anything soon, I may just toss that plant. Sure hate to do that though.

Arif, I feel so bad for you. The only other suggestion I can think of is to get out a 2 x 4. Many years ago, I had a Carambola tree that would not bloom and set fruit. I read somewhere to take a 2 x 4 board to it. After a couple more years and still nothing, I did get a 2 x 4 and whacked the trunk several times.. Lo and behold, the tree bloomed, set fruit and has never stopped. I've kept a 2 x 4 around ever since! lol

I used the pollen from my two good blooms on everything I had blooming at the time. Many started but aborted about half way through. I think I still have one or two hanging in there from the second flower on the good plant. I will know before too long. I was afraid to use anything from the messed up flowers. Does pollen from a diseased plant infect seedlings of a healthy plant?

Keep those pictures coming. Can't wait to see yours Maida.

Nancy

o

Maida, photos please!!!!
Nancy... A 2x4 to a bulb? ... squish! I'm laughing about your tree!
K

o

Hurray!! I've finally got a bud on one of my 3 Sprekelia formosissimas planted in one pot!! It will be interesting to see if mine resembles any of the others on this thread. It did bloom last year but it was shortly after I had removed the poor bulbs from their plastic bag where they had probably spent several months before being let out of their plastic prison and the bloom was deformed. I'm hoping for a much prettier flower this time!

Donna☺☺

o

Hello! Long time! :-)

These pictures make me miss growing so many different types of bulbs. They're really beautiful.

o

Here is a picture of my bulb of Sprekelia 'Gold Dust'
Maida

o

Here is the picture of the scape of the second bulb of Sprekelia 'Gold Dust'.Only time will tell what it is.
Maida

o

Nice! :-)

o

Hi Maida,

Well, at least you got one that was labeled correctly and like all the others, it's very pretty, the lower petals seem a little less wavy than Kristi's, and the color looks great also. Did you detect any gold dusting on yours?

The second one will be a big surprise, lets hope it's something you don't already have!!

Donna☺☺

o

Hi,

I received a response to my last email to Bulbs Direct. I had asked that since I hadn't heard back from them that perhaps I should destroy my 2 'Gold Dust' bulbs. Nikki's response was, "I still have your email marked for follow up but the expert is away on holiday for a month and I tried to look online for any information but unfortunately I couldn’t find any. Maybe its better that you toss them away for now and I would be happy to arrange your refund."

I wrote back and said I would still like to know what the expert has to say as I am concerned about my other bulbs being exposed to whatever it was. She said when their busy season was over she would look online for more info?

It looks like I may never know but she did send me the refund.

So disappointed not to know but so far, nothing else has looked like that! I had dug up and potted the other 'Gold Dust' bulb and then sprayed both with a good 3 in 1 systemic. I really hate to toss them since I haven't seen that variety offered any place else. What do you all think? Toss or keep quarantined and wait to see?

Thanks for any advice!

Nancy

o

Nancy,
At least you have photos from Maida and I showing our bulbs were healthy, so yours definitely have an issue, and they can replace/refund yours.

If they were mine, I'd keep them quarantined!
K

o

What a fun thread to read this morning! So many great pictures! Mine have not bloomed yet this year. They are not very consistent, out of maybe 10 bulbs I have of blooming size only one or two seem to bloom a year, which is a low percentage. And timing is really erratic. Sometimes they bloom now, and sometimes they bloom as late as Sept. I've even had the same bulb bloom spring and fall! I'll have to try and find a picture from a previous season to post.

Blanca, mine sets seed easily, I've got 30 or so seedlings growing that I started 2 years ago. Not sure what specific type mine is - astoundingly, Home Depot has them here in their spring bulb packs. I froze pollen from mine last time it bloomed. A bit late I think for your current bloom, but I'd be happy to send it to you for next time.

Arif, my guess is yours don't bloom because of high moisture. Here in FL they will only bloom for me in the driest spots - like close to the trunk of a large oak where the soil is very dry, and the canopy of the tree catches all but the heaviest rain.

o

Donna,
How's your bud coming??
K

o

Dear All,

My pollination attempt looked good, but has ultimately failed. :-(

-Blanca

o

Ditto here...,
K

o

I used all the good pollen on everything I had blooming at the time. All failed except Fairytale & Amoretta. The Fairytale had a huge pod that looked perfect but when it opened, it was stuffed full of seeds that were empty of embryos. Bummer! However, the pod on Amoretta finished with 19 seeds...9 of which looked pretty good and hopefully viable. Planted May 21 but nothing so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nancy

o

Congratulations Nancy! It's fun and exciting when these odd crosses yield some viable looking seeds which sometimes germinate and sometimes won't. Keeping my fingers crossed for yours too!

Donna☺☺☺

o

Nancy,
You crosses your Sprekelia with Hippeastrum?? Wow!! Keep us posted!!
K

o

Nice job Nancy! Blanca, how disappointing to have it look like it is going to take then not. Makes me even more curious now to know what strain I have that selfed so easily! I didn't know until reading this thread that normally it is difficult.

o

Well...I finally heard back from Bulbs Direct. Here is a copy of the response from her "expert".

"“Looks like either dust from the stamen (hence gold dust lilies), or ... damage to the bud by bad weather ( such as hail or torrential rain). It does not look like a disease , actually the flowers look pretty good

If there is an illness on the plant, the foliage, which follows after the flower will look bad too, but I don’t think so.

Advise her to take away the wilting flowers once gone but let the stem on the plant it will enhance the growth of the bulb for next year."

I am very disappointed by the "expert" diagnosis. The flower tissue was most certainly damaged, not "dust from the stamens". That's the silliest thing I have ever heard of!!! Also, it was still our dry season when it bloomed so no (torrential) rain nor hail. In fact, it rained all around me the last 2 weeks but I just got rain last week. If the bud was damaged by hail, wouldn't the flower have been deformed or physically damaged?

And BTW, it doesn't look like the Sprekelia seed that I managed to get with the good plant is going to germinate. So sad! :(

Nancy

o

Dear Nancy,
Well, that just goes to show you the value of the list!! Pollen was not a problem, so that was silly. The first thing you were asked about in the list was rain, and someone else figured it was thrips. So...you got the best response from the forum!

I hope that the bulb is still growing ok for you. Let's hope next year is better.
K

o

Hi,

Well, with all the lovely pictures on this thread of everyone's Sprekelias, I hesitate to add mine but I do think it deserves at the very least, the booby prize!
I don't know what the problem is and maybe she'll do better next year so don't laugh too hard, enjoy☺☺☺...Donna

At least she doesn't appear to have the measles like Nancy's did...☺☺

o

I love it Donna. And mine gets the booby prize for sure. I had only one bloom this year, and it tried to open right at ground level like yours, but utterly failed and looked like some sort of flower picasso. It was not worthy of a picture - lol. But yours is adorable.

o

Odd.... Great thread!!
K

o

Measles, huh Donna? And here I had almost convinced myself that mine had freckles!! ;)

In any case, I think yours is adorable. It almost looks like it was trying to be a Hippie with the shape of it! Love the color too. The good thing is that it bloomed and just look at all that pollen!

Good growing!

Nancy

o

My sprekelias will not bloom for me so two years ago I gave them a place behind Daylily bed and came to terms, not to bother each other.

They look happy and I could not care less.
Arif

o

My sprekelias will not bloom for me so two years ago I gave them a place behind Daylily bed and came to terms, not to bother each other.

Arif

o

Arif

o

You'd better keep an eye out for surprise blooms Arif!! It seems they go from scape to bloom to wither in about 10 days!! If I didn't know that you were such a careful inspector of your gardens, I'd say yours have bloomed and you missed it! Maybe now that they know the pressure is off, they'll bloom vigorously!!
K

o

Kristi, Nothing escapes my morning round, No bloom so far.
Arif

o

Dear Arif,

I know that your strolls through your garden each day include thorough inspections of all the gardens and their occupants. Nancy nearly missed her bloom, which got some of the rest of us looking and started this thread.

What is a typical temperature in your early morning hours? I imagine afternoons are inhumane at this point! I am amazed by your lush gardens in the brutal heat!!

Kindly,
Kristi

o

My little dog pulls me out of bed before sun rise and we spend about two hours in the garden enjoying the cool breeze and listening to singing of bird. Last year this time of the year I was on 10 weeks trip with my family to see America, we went almost all over USA, what surprised me the most was absence of birds in spite of lush green vegetation.
Evenings are over 40C and I play Golf with my son and daughter in law.
Arif

o

My little dog pulls me out of bed before sun rise and we spend about two hours in the garden enjoying the cool breeze and listening to singing of bird. Last year this time of the year I was on 10 weeks trip with my family to see America, we went almost all over USA, what surprised me the most was absence of birds in spite of lush green vegetation.
Arif

o

Arif

o

Arif,
My backyard is full of birds. Sometimes they even wake me up with their songs. I provide plenty of food and shelter for them. There's plenty of wildlife in Texas!!

I wish I had known you were in the US. Surely you stopped to visit Texas, maybe even Houston. Several of us could have met you for a nice dinner!! I think it's always good to meet people on the list! I've had the pleasure of getting to meet Chaz (formerly of MA, now of CA), Houston Pat, Donna, and Maida.

Kristi

o

We were eight,The tour was like a clock work with prior Airline, hotel and transport bookings and no scope of daviation.
The main stops were NY.SF, LA, Sandiago, LV, New Orleen, Miami, Orlando, Bafalow Niagra falls and Wishington DC
From these centre points we covered the area around in a 13 seater van and saw almost every thing worth visiting.
I have spent two tenures of 6 moths each at Taxas Sanantonio in 1964 and 1973.
1973 my wife and both sons were also with me and we covered almost 1/2 of USA by road,
Sanantonio is like Lahore just a bit cooler in winter.
Thank you
Arif

o

Dear Arif,

Sounds like a great trip!

If anyone on the list is ever near Houston, TX....let me know. Dinner's on me!

Kristi

o

Well, what a surprise when my little vertically challenged sprekelia set a bud! (pictured several posts earlier) I figured I had nothing to loose so I just selfed it and it took! I've been watching very carefully, expecting it to abort at any time but I'm pretty sure it's past that stage. I hope it hasn't had too much rain though, it's pouring again and I've brought it in but once again it's soaked. The flower was healthy and the scape finally grew. Take a look☺☺☺

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:05

o

Cool Donna - congrats!

o

Pretty hefty!! Lucky you!
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here