Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

Amaryllis belladonna

haweha
10 years ago

from a little seedling bulb I picked up in a Greenhouse.
MAIDEN BLOOM after 10 years, and funny enough, from the two Daughter Bulbs and I am in AWE
First scape 9 Florets
{{gwi:411512}}

{{gwi:411514}}

Second scape 7 Florets
{{gwi:411516}}

This post was edited by haweha on Thu, May 30, 13 at 16:27

Comments (18)

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

I am in awe too! - I don't know what to say except WOW! Maybe it wanted to make up for the ten year wait :)

-J

• haweha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    BTW, it is the "wrong" time for it, to produce flowers. You can see the leaves which are yet to die. Each scape emerged almost from the CENTER of the respective leaf fan, the observation of which provides the information, that these scapes emerged "4 months TOO EARLY" rather than "8 months too late". The usual time for them to bloom here, is during August.

Now, you might figure it, I am crosssing my fingers for seed formation after self pollination. The idea which I have in mind is, to select, from a good number of seedlings, some that these will be even better adapted to the condition "German Windowsill" - and produce flowers pretty please, pretty much sooner than only after a whole Decade xDxDxD

• haweha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    BTW, it is the "wrong" time for it, to produce flowers. You can see the leaves which are yet to die. Each scape emerged almost from the CENTER of the respective leaf fan, the observation of which provides the information, that these scapes emerged "4 months TOO EARLY" rather than "8 months too late". The usual time for them to bloom here, is during August.

Now, you might figure it, I am crosssing my fingers for seed formation after self pollination. The idea which I have in mind is, to select, from a good number of seedlings, some that these will be even better adapted to the condition "German Windowsill" - and produce flowers pretty please, pretty much sooner than only after a whole Decade xDxDxD

• Nindy
    10 years ago

OMG, it is really spectacular! But is the ten years to flower a common characteristics or just because of your conditions? thanks.

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

Spectacular ! I never get flowers at this time of the year. I grow 2 different Amaryllis belladona and both self seed easyly. Seeds look more like small bulbs than seeds , they germinate sometimes on the plant (like crinums do).
    New Zealand Red :
    {{gwi:411518}}
    {{gwi:411521}}

• haweha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agapanthe,
    thank you for showing.
    I can smell them! xD

Nindy,
    elsewhere I read "Grown indoors they will bloom almost never" - MY Strategy had been "feed 'em until they cannot do other - than to produce flowers" xDxDxD

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

Please accept my congratulations!
    I admire, the way you manage it? For over 10 years I am suffering, but not bloomed, though from a bulb, not from seed.
    In one of our botanical gardens A. belladonna bloomed, and also in the spring, with the leaves.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,
    Truly beautiful! 10 years though? I agree that it has made up for lost time. Now waiting 3-4 years waiting doesn't seem so bad!
    Congratulations on the beautiful blooms.
    Kristi

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Wow - that's spectacular! Thanks for sharing!

• JamesLQF
    10 years ago

Wow, for ten years!

• haweha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hélas no formation of seed pods...

Thank you all for your interest!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Wow!! They look like they are going to be amazing!! Please share pictures of them when they bloom. They make me wish I could grow them in my zone!

Donna

haweha thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Agapanthe: your new zealand red belladonna looks amazing. Where can you get them?

haweha thanked AuntJemima
  • agapanthe64
    10 years ago

I bought it in UK , at Avon bulbs a few years ago, but I am afraid they don't offert it this season. A very big bulb .

haweha thanked agapanthe64
  • AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Thanks agapanthe64. I'll look out for it in the future as the normal pale one doesn't really appeal to me. But that looks real nice. :)

haweha thanked AuntJemima
  • chickens_on_mars
    10 years ago

Comming along nicely now.

haweha thanked chickens_on_mars
  • chickens_on_mars
    10 years ago

Comming along nicely now.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by chickens_on_mars on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 13:30

haweha thanked chickens_on_mars
Sponsored