Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis belladonna

Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 16:26

from a little seedling bulb I picked up in a Greenhouse.
MAIDEN BLOOM after 10 years, and funny enough, from the two Daughter Bulbs and I am in AWE
First scape 9 Florets
 photo 8445_zpsc70d8cbd.jpg

photo 8474_zps8a289315.jpg

Second scape 7 Florets
 photo 8510_zps2095c105.jpg

This post was edited by haweha on Thu, May 30, 13 at 16:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis belladonna

I am in awe too! - I don't know what to say except WOW! Maybe it wanted to make up for the ten year wait :)

-J

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 18:52

Thank you!
BTW, it is the "wrong" time for it, to produce flowers. You can see the leaves which are yet to die. Each scape emerged almost from the CENTER of the respective leaf fan, the observation of which provides the information, that these scapes emerged "4 months TOO EARLY" rather than "8 months too late". The usual time for them to bloom here, is during August.

Now, you might figure it, I am crosssing my fingers for seed formation after self pollination. The idea which I have in mind is, to select, from a good number of seedlings, some that these will be even better adapted to the condition "German Windowsill" - and produce flowers pretty please, pretty much sooner than only after a whole Decade xDxDxD

o
Belladonna Lily Amaryllis belladonna

Thu, May 30, 13 at 18:54

Thank you!
BTW, it is the "wrong" time for it, to produce flowers. You can see the leaves which are yet to die. Each scape emerged almost from the CENTER of the respective leaf fan, the observation of which provides the information, that these scapes emerged "4 months TOO EARLY" rather than "8 months too late". The usual time for them to bloom here, is during August.

Now, you might figure it, I am crosssing my fingers for seed formation after self pollination. The idea which I have in mind is, to select, from a good number of seedlings, some that these will be even better adapted to the condition "German Windowsill" - and produce flowers pretty please, pretty much sooner than only after a whole Decade xDxDxD

o

OMG, it is really spectacular! But is the ten years to flower a common characteristics or just because of your conditions? thanks.

o

Spectacular ! I never get flowers at this time of the year. I grow 2 different Amaryllis belladona and both self seed easyly. Seeds look more like small bulbs than seeds , they germinate sometimes on the plant (like crinums do).
New Zealand Red :
 photo eedbf493-c60d-44c1-a671-fa12acb9a8c5.jpg
 photo 5749944a-87ac-41f5-a19d-95beb8d2e0b0.jpg

o

Fri, May 31, 13 at 12:07

Agapanthe,
thank you for showing.
I can smell them! xD

Nindy,
elsewhere I read "Grown indoors they will bloom almost never" - MY Strategy had been "feed 'em until they cannot do other - than to produce flowers" xDxDxD

o

Please accept my congratulations!
I admire, the way you manage it? For over 10 years I am suffering, but not bloomed, though from a bulb, not from seed.
In one of our botanical gardens A. belladonna bloomed, and also in the spring, with the leaves.

o

Dear Hans-Werner,
Truly beautiful! 10 years though? I agree that it has made up for lost time. Now waiting 3-4 years waiting doesn't seem so bad!
Congratulations on the beautiful blooms.
Kristi

o

Wow - that's spectacular! Thanks for sharing!

o

Wow, for ten years!

o

Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 12:25

Hélas no formation of seed pods...

Thank you all for your interest!

o

Hey all,
My A. belladonna are showing up for the season.
If all goes in a normal way I'll have more seeds than I can use this year.
Anyone interested let me know (esp. if you have shared something with me) these are fleshy seeds that I sow quickly and avoid letting them dry much.
Brian

o

Wow!! They look like they are going to be amazing!! Please share pictures of them when they bloom. They make me wish I could grow them in my zone!

Donna

o

Agapanthe: your new zealand red belladonna looks amazing. Where can you get them?

o

I bought it in UK , at Avon bulbs a few years ago, but I am afraid they don't offert it this season. A very big bulb .

o

Thanks agapanthe64. I'll look out for it in the future as the normal pale one doesn't really appeal to me. But that looks real nice. :)

o

Comming along nicely now.

o

Comming along nicely now.

This post was edited by chickens_on_mars on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 13:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here