Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoff9

Amaryllises can fight airborne chemicals

geoff9
12 years ago

This is worth starting a new thread because it is so positive. Chemicals got into the air where I live, and settled on everything. It took time for me to realize that there was settling. At first I feared a mite outbreak. All plants were washed carefully. Amaryllises took it hard, not by species or by region as would be thought, but by individual. A few dropped all leaves. Some dropped sections of leaves and/or some whole leaves, but continued to grow. Some showed minimal damage and continued to grow. The good news is that all are rebounding nicely from whereever they had gotten to. Of course those with more leaf surface are leading the way. All bulbs are turgid except for normal loss after flowering, and drying indicates that roots are funcioning normally. There is no way to determine long-term damage, but so far things look much better than expected. New leaves appear well-formed and smooth. So, while amaryllises can react violently to poisons iin the air they can also defend themselves.

Comments (2)