Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derannweaver

a question of pots

derannweaver
11 years ago

I apologize if this is a totally newbie question, but I can't find my question in your excellent FAQ's. I have a small collection of 12 amaryllis that I successfully overwintered for rebloom in the spring just past, and they've been quite happy on the deck so far this summer, with diluted feedings and a couple of flushings of clear water. We are afflicted with the enormous "lubber" grasshoppers in this area of Georgia (slightly northeast of Atlanta), and I am on constant watch against them. So I am taking good care, I think.

But I keep reading differing points of view on pot culture: should I lift in the fall? Do these bulbs really want to live potbound in their pots for a long long time? Is an azalea pot (shallow) better than a Long Tom (deep)? In other words, where do these bulbs really want to live, and how much disturbance and disruption will they tolerate?

I won't do anything, of course, until the growth period is over. But having had just a tiny taste of success, I'd like some authoritative advice on the long term living conditions of my amaryllis.

Btw, putting them into the ground for the summer, either sunk in their pots or directly, is not an option for me: I tried that with some lovely specimens a few summers ago, and they were immediately eaten by voles or chipmunks lubbers or something that I never identified--not willing to risk again.

Thank you so much for any reply that can settle this question in my mind!

Derann

Comments (2)