Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

2014 Bloom Review

sun_worshiper
9 years ago

Didn't have time to post during bloom, so thought I'd post some of my favorites.

This one doesn't bloom every year, but it is a stunner when it does. All these blooms are from one bulb, and it just towers in the garden - 36" to the base of the blooms!

{{gwi:411914}}

I moved my johnsoniis to the bamboo border this year and they did great there. This is the view from my living room. The fragrance from the screenroom is wonderful!
{{gwi:411915}}

I love how they look nestled in among the begonias like jewels.

{{gwi:411916}}

{{gwi:411917}}

This is my favorite white - excellent garden specimen, very robust.

{{gwi:411918}}

Striatum in front, and voodoo in background.
{{gwi:411919}}

I love how the voodoos sparkle in the morning light. The entire border is planted with hippi seedlings of various varieties. Can't wait until they are all blooming size!
{{gwi:411920}}

This is my favorite heirloom! And check out those matchsticks still holding on. They had a really long season this year.
{{gwi:411921}}

Just for fun who am? Love this rain lily I got in trade as a pass along. My guess is either habranthus brachyandrus or habranthus floryi purple base. What do you think? I'm not sure on the id.
{{gwi:411923}}

Thanks for looking!

Comments (4)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Angela,

You do live in a paradise!! I particularly like the flowers in your first picture that bloom every other year, very lovely. I also love your big white with the green throat! Of course, they're all lovely.
    No skinny dipping in your pool though with all those windows!!
    Thanks for sharing the beauty of your yard, this Spring..

Donnaâºâºâº

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Nice!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Angela,
    With the nice screened pool area, your neighbors get to enjoy the show too! It's so amazing that all the scapes are about the same height.

I could have used a screened yard today as I moved the last of the pots. The mosquitos were hungry!! Glad that's over!

Do you have gators in your waterway?
    K

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments=)

Yep, not quite private enough for skinny dipping - lol! Donna, the one that doesn't bloom every year I can't quite figure out. It hadn't bloomed in 3 years, so last year I dug out most of the clump, leaving only the mother bulb in place. I moved offsets to several places around my yard hoping to figure out what conditions it needs to bloom regularly. I'm not sure what I learned exactly - 3 bulbs bloomed, in 3 different locations. And in each location where one bloomed, there were other bulbs that did not bloom. The blooms were on the original mother bulb that had not been disturbed and which is in a shady and damp spot, a bulb in a sunny and dry spot and a bulb in a shady and medium dry spot. So it doesn't seem that resetting is necessary to induce bloom, nor does it seem that sun and moisture are the key factors. Only thing I can conclude is that only the largest bulbs bloom. The three that bloomed are the biggest ones. So will be interesting to see if now they have attained blooming size if they bloom every year, or if there is some other environmental factor I'm missing. Oh, and the other thing I did was defoliate all of them in January, so it's possible that's the key.

kaboehm - Screen room here is key! Sometimes the mosquitos are so thick that the outside of the screen is literally covered in them. The scape heights are actually a carefully designed illusion. Among any single variety, scape height is quite consistent. However, the scape heights for different varieties vary a lot (as much as 15"). Those first cross braces on the screenroom are actually at different heights on different sides of the room. So I've planted the varieties such that the bloom height is approximately the same relative to the cross brace, which gives the illusion that the blooms are all the same height. That's more of a side effect though, what I was really aiming for is not to have the bar block the majority of the blooms. Oh, and gators are a possibility, but they don't like this pond. There is a lake across the street with lots of natural shoreline that they like better so haven't ever seen one in our pond.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz