Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
npublici

Pine bark in potting mix?

npublici
15 years ago

The univ of N carolina recommendeded not to include pine bark in a hippeastrum soil mix.Does anyone know why?

Comments (12)

• mariava7
    15 years ago

So does HADECO. In fact they state in their website not to use ANY kind of tree bark in your potting soil for hippeastrums. No reason is stated.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I would imagine it has something to do with the rate of decomposition of the bark and how it reacts with other soil components and moisture levels in a container environment... I don't know any of the scientific terms or the actual scientific explanation...

As we all know, some of these bulbs can be rather prone to rot... we also know that it's difficult to control the balance of good and evil in containers as it pertains to decomposing soil... outdoors in the garden, nature works to keep a balance of good and bad bacterias and other microscopic things... worms and nematodes and other creepy-crawlies work in harmony to help maintain those levels.

Container gardening is different... there isn't that harmony of good and bad... and as potting soil breaks down, levels of bad things rise... therefore, it makes sense to try to use a medium that won't break down very fast.

Finding the perfect medium for indoor growing in containers has plagued me from the onset of collecting bulbs. Learning how plant roots function and what they require has helped me in choosing a medium, as has learning how watering and soil break-down fit in... it can be a bit confusing, but it's worth the effort to research a little.

I have found loads of good information and pertinent discussions over at the Container Gardening Forum. There are too many threads to find the right link to post here, but I highly recommend popping in over there to do some reading!

• salpal
    15 years ago

I've been using a mix including pine bark fines for a couple of years similar to Al's mix on the container forum. I've had no adverse effects YET. I know you are supposed to take care with what type of bark you use. I have found the mix including pine bark fines to be helpful in avoiding bulb rot, it's very fast draining. I'd be interested in why it wouldn't be recommended, I plan to keep using it until problems arise. If anyone has a link to Hadecos non-recommendation I'd love to see it.

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Hi, All!

Please note that my comments are based on personal observation and not stated scientific facts.

In my experience, Southern Pine bark decomposes very quickly. Many years ago, I stopped using it as mulch on my flower beds and in my potted plants because of this. Southern Pink bark is very large and pourous which is great for the first year, so many nurseries will use this (crushed) as a inexpensive filler. They can purchase it from paper companies in bulk at a very cheap price because it is considered waste.

Northern pine, from what I have observed is much more dense and does not degrade as fast which is probably why you are having success with it.

Just like there is a huge difference between hardwood and softwood (our Southern Pine is definitely soft wood), there is a difference in pine bark.

Does that make sense?

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I would agree that the type of bark is very relevant... I've been using an "Al" type mix, myself, and having very good luck with it... it's fast-draining and allows for oxygen to reach the roots... it doesn't hold on to moisture for too long... it's very close to what I'd call a bonsai medium.

For more on the "Al's Mix", go to the Container Gardening Forum... there are lots of very informational threads...

• lomodor
    10 years ago

excellent comments..as always!!
    i use a majority pine bark ,pumice mix with all my potted
    plants now..
    that includes my various amaryllis..and they do just fine
    they are inside now.of course and just starting to send out more leaves..so i would think things are going good in the potting mix..
    i do repot every yr though..
    comments on break down are well said ... i just add last yrs potting mix to my various outside gardens..and pot up bulbs/corms with new potting mix..

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

In my opinion pine bark comes prerotten and maybe contains a lot of bacterias and mould. Maybe it helps rotting the bulbs too?

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Interesting thread. I was forced to pot my Papilio in the gritty mix because it was wasting away in topsoil. I sort of gave up after, but then miraculously it started growing again. I used bark from a pine mulch and it doesn't seem to have harmed the plant any.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hi,

I also have always used pine bark in my mixture with no ill effects. I find that when I have a rot issue it is usually with a new bulb that refuses to root and at that point my new bulbs are basically sitting on top of the soil anyway. I also use pigeon grit as well as perlite to aerate the soil.

Donna

• houstonpat
    10 years ago

I grow H. papilio and H. aulicum as epiphytes / lithophytes. I use a good coarse orchid mix. It contains bark, but most likely Fir bark. Since Fir bark is kinda hard to get around here, if I make my own mix I just use whatever pine bark I can find and just bust it up to about medium size. I mix it with whatever I have in the way of expanded shale, tree fern slabs, perlite, natural charcoal.

• lomodor
    10 years ago

houstonpat..that is a fantastic pic of your amaryllis basket !!
    never thought of using tree fern lined basket..way to go...
    and super healthy plants..babies shootin out everywhere..
    yea!! more plants..

• houstonpat
    10 years ago

The basket is lined with coconut fiber.

Sponsored
More Discussions