Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippeastrumadmirer

H. Misty

hippeastrumadmirer
13 years ago

So, I bought an h. misty bulb back in january at a plant shop called ritchies feed and seed, they first got them in in october, so it has been asleep at it has begun waking up 2 weeks ago when I used a rooting hormone and put the bulb in the water to develop roots, so the foliage is starting to grow it's not that big, but when i bought the bulb in january tere was no growth exept a flower stalk that was just a centimetre out of the bulb and hasn't done anything, I think im seeing a new opening between the scales, so my question is my flower stalk still looks healthy, do you think if the leafs are growing presently the flower stalk will soon begin growing again? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Just curious...why are you chosing to force the bulb in water? I would think that would be more of a stressor. It is done by some for ornamental use, but for a bulb that you want to keep, you can encourage strong root growth in soil just as well. Misty is pretty finicky!!

You said that it has been asleep. Have you kept it in the refrigerator? As long as it stays green and healthy looking, there's a chance it's just stalled, but if it starts looking poorly, it will abort.

If you had planted the bulb in January, you might have had better luck. I have had several bulbs where the tip of the scape is emerging and it just stops. Eventually it shrivels and dries.

So...what ever happened to your bulbs with the red spots?
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Don't be too surprised, as Kristi says, if your bud shrivels and dies, I have several bulbs that I bought 6 or so months ago and the bud emerged about 1 inch and stopped and then several months later the bud shriveled and died, but the leaves did emerge gloriously and the bulb rooted so will have to wait another year for a flower. Also, I hope your Misty, when it does flower, does turn out to be a Misty! Many on the forum including myself had their Mistys (bought this season) turn out to be Susan! Hope yours came from a different supplier! Good Luck,

Donna

• hippeastrumadmirer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Kaboehm to answer your question I have forced the bulb in water and added hormone rooting powder so it could get a boost, sice the bulb wasn't doing anything, and then I noticed leafs were starting to slowly grow, and my bulbs with the red spots are not bad and aren't good, but they are doing fine and dandy, I recently planted them in the soil in the ground in my backyard and the squirrels don't seem to care much about them, i have another question when I dig out my bulbs at the end of fall what can I do to get rid of the most bugs possible? Thanks for your help! Thanks dondeldux too!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

When talking of getting rid of bugs, do you mean bugs that are naturally found in soil? Maybe some of these benign bugs feast on rotted roots and the like and may actually be beneficial to your bulb. I'm not sure, just a thought...........Donna

13 years ago

...When you dig you bulbs up in the fall, the leaves should have died back, etc. There really shouldn't be "bugs" as they tend to hang out on leaves. Just keep in mind...soapy water in a spray bottle! That's a safe insecticide! But, there may be bugs hunkered down in the brown bits of the outer layers. Unless you have problems with pests, I wouldn't worry about a hitch hiker or two. You are going to over winter them someplace cool, and when you go to plant them in the spring, you can clean them up then. Keeping the outer brown layer in place while the bulb rests will guard against moisture loss.

GOOD LUCK!
    Kristi

• hippeastrumadmirer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi my h. misty is growing good leaves and the flower stalk still looks healthy but isn`t doing anything, do you think there`s a chance it may still flower? Thanks for your help!

13 years ago

As long as it's green and not failing...there's a chance. Keep on waiting and tell us what happens. Has the scape grown at all or is it just still sticking out 1 cm?
    K

• hippeastrumadmirer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well to answer your question kaboehm it has grown only 1 cm more in the past 1 month and a half and then it stopped!? But we put the bulbs in pots in the cold and I think maybe the cold activated the mechanism?

• hippeastrumadmirer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well to answer your question kaboehm it has grown only 1 cm more in the past 1 month and a half and then it stopped!? But we put the bulbs in pots in the cold and I think maybe the cold activated the mechanism?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm