Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stampstudio73137

La Paz

Here is La Paz with 3 flowers open and 1 bud also another scape coming up. Hopefully enough pollen to be able to save some for future crosses.

Comments (10)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Hmmm. Here is my H. La Paz. They don't look too similar. I know H. La Paz and H. Tango look similar (the difference bring the color of the pedicles). Not sure about your ID. May I ask where you bought it! Many people got Lima or Chico in place of La Paz, but this doesn't look like either of mine...but they have bloomed for years. I'm thinking you might have a first-bloom Lima.
    K

PS...sorry, I forgot these photos come in sideways from my phone. Edited responses from computer to correct!

This post was edited by kaboehm on Tue, May 20, 14 at 9:15

9 years ago

Here is my H. Lima.
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Tue, May 20, 14 at 9:14

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine came from Easy to grow bulbs about 2 months ago.
    Bill

9 years ago

Sorry Bill... You got a Lima!!! Many of us got the same thing and when they were contacted, we were told "...enjoy your Lima." I ordered 2 and also got H. Chico.
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Tue, May 20, 14 at 9:13

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hopefully you didn't already have a LIma as Lima is very close to La Paz anyway and a very lovely cybster itself and everybody should have a Lima in their collection so any pollinating you do with it that takes should produce lovely flowers. Looks like you've got some good material to work with, have fun..

Donna

9 years ago

Sorry for the previously sideways photos....I forgot that when I load photos from my phone, they load sideways!! I hate that feature, and the problem is that they look "fine" from my phone!!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

You're forgiven,...this time.;-)

9 years ago

Hehe...Donna, I'll try not to let it happen again!!

• blancawing
    9 years ago

@ Bill: I apologize for inserting an unrelated comment into your post.

@ Kristi: I was admiring your lovely photo of âÂÂLa Pazâ when my eyes were drawn to the red marks on the taller scape. It appears that the marks may be slightly sunken toward the bottom of the scape. Earlier this year, I received a bulb that produced two scapes with worrisome red marks similar to those visible in your photo. Over time, the markings became much worse.

After sending photos showing the progression and communicating back and forth with the seller, I was finally told that the bulb was afflicted with âÂÂred leaf spot,â which is a synonym for the disease Stagonospora curtisii (aka red blotch and red fire). I was advised to cut off both scapes, and disinfect the bulb with a water dispersible broad-spectrum fungicide. I did so, and also put the bulb in quarantine. Hot water treatment can also be used to treat this fungal disease. I donâÂÂt mean to be an alarmist, but I thought that you might want to keep an eye on that bulb to see if the marks enlarge, elongate, or become sunken.

-Blanca

9 years ago

Thanks Blanca!!

Sadly this gift has been in isolation since the day it arrived at my house. In fact, it even traveled in my car in a box so it wouldn't touch anything. Those red streaks were obvious from the second I was handed the potted bulb. The only thing that saved it from the trash can that day was that it had two scapes in bloom. I may try and save it as it seems H. LaPaz is a bit hard to come by....I appreciate the help. I may try hot water.

K

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions