Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this potting mix good?

Posted by AuntJemima none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 0:00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-COCO-AMARYLLIS-HIPPEASTRUM-AMARYLLIS-PLANTS-FLOWER-BULBS-HIPPEASTRUM-/261091949668?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&var=&hash=item3cca4afc64

I just started out and bought this mixture for my hippis. Is this decent? When i was a kid i just used normal compost and they never seemed to last long. Hoping it will be different this time.

I'm not trying to promote the seller. I've read the FAQ and the soil mixes seem rather fancy for a newbie like me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this potting mix good?

Everyone was a newbie once! It pays to take the time to get your growing mix right!

This mixture holds 8x it's weight in water per the description. Hippeastrum can't sit in too wet a medium as you'll end up rotting the roots. While it says it's well draining, if I were using something like this, I'd cut in some coarse sand and perlite to improve drainage. Maybe do a search if this forum on coco to see what others say about this material.

In the discussion of media, in the FAQ, you'll see lots of discussion on growing medium incorporating grit, crushed granite, etc; since many on the list have dozens to hundreds of bulbs, a lot of time is spent fine tuning growing medium.

Good luck!
K

o

thanks for the advice, kaboehm. I thought i was being smart getting that mix but it looks like it wasn't that great and putting in the manure pellets that came with it might have been a mistake.

I've read the faq and ended up just getting an orchid potting mix as the mixes seemed rather specialized and alot of the stuff either is not available at my local garden centre or you have to buy in huge quantities.

I'll see how the orchid mix works out, might try the bonsai one next time.

I did buy some perlite to mix in.

I bought a clear orchid container too so i can keep track of the roots.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll probably end up filling the house with plants now. lol

o

...And what's "wrong" with filling the house with plants?? Watch it, or you could catch CHAD!!
;-)
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here