Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

Majestic 'Magic Green'

mariava7
16 years ago

Magic Green is HUGE!!! My biggest green flowered amaryllis so far with 71/2-8" flowers. Very lovely with it's maroon red markings/speckles.

We are had overcast skies today...just right to take pictures. Hope you enjoy Magic Green...

Outside with the collection...

{{gwi:373842}}

Inside in the basement where it bloomed...

{{gwi:373844}}

Up close...

{{gwi:373843}}

With Lemon Lime...

{{gwi:373845}}

And together with others that are in bloom today. Promise on the left, Solomon in the bottom, and Dancing Queen (third scape this season)on the right. Charisma didn't get to join in the pic. Maybe tomorrow it will open it's flowers.

{{gwi:413407}}

Comments (46)

• dizzy77
    16 years ago

Such a beautiful flower with lovely color and shape! And I love your group photos.

Di

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is Magic Green today. As the flower matures, it gets greener and the markings get deeper. The petals gets some wave in it and it gives out nectar.

{{gwi:413408}}

{{gwi:413409}}

Dizzy...Here's another group photo I took last week...I think. It's hard to organize a group photo when the amaryllises are scattered everywhere...at the backyard, frontyard, basement,garage and upstairs in the kitchen and dining room...lol!

The bloomers...
    {{gwi:413410}}

The family...
    {{gwi:413411}}

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Oh Maria, that Magic Green is stunning. I love the shape!

• dizzy77
    16 years ago

It's so nice to have these lovely photos to look at, it's now winter here and besides some nerines and mini roses there is not much color in my garden. So thank you for spending the time to post your photos.
    I think I might plant some of my bulbs into pots this year so that I can bring them inside and enjoy their beauty inside the house. And I think I'll try forcing too. I just need to read up on how to do it.
    What will you pollinate your Magic Green with?

Di

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One flower was pollinated with Ruby Meyer pollens, and another one with Grandeur pollens. I'm still pondering on what to use on the other two flowers and on the other scape that is coming up.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I don't get reply for the Australian supplier if they sell to America or not... Are they so bad of a supplier? Where is customer support? I want to know if I can get some dry bulbs from them. Oh, yes. How are your bulbs doing? Are they bringing up buds?

• dizzy77
    16 years ago

Soultan,
    If you are talking about maguire's, I think they are more of a family run bulb farm than a supplier, they do answer my emails, sometimes it takes a while. But I will take some photos of the bulbs I get from them so you can see for yourself. And my bulbs won't be flowering for me yet, it's winter here.

Maria,
    They sound like they will make some lovely flowers. Do you cross flowers that are a like in color and shape or do you go for opposites?

Di

• dizzy77
    16 years ago

soultan I could email them for you if you like they answer my emails within a day or so.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I force my bulbs inside, and I start in the winter. You only want to have them flower outside?

• dizzy77
    16 years ago

No I would love to have them flower all year round. I had never heard of forcing untill I read about it in this forum. It was just normal to plant the bulbs in the ground or pots to have them inside while they flower then taken outside after flowering.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I do the same. I force them inside, then take them outside after they shed their seeds too. They seem to like it outside under the Jacaranda and the Californian Willow. They will slowly fill up the little planter, but I still have place for a few hundred, so I am not worried.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Maria, how long did your Magic Green flowers last? My first bud opened on Monday but is already wilting. The color is disappointing right now but I'm guessing it might be because it has no roots. I think perhaps after a good summer out, it has great potential to color in as nicely as yours. =)

{{gwi:413412}}

{{gwi:413413}}

{{gwi:413414}}

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

You're right, Paxfleur... it looks a bit washed out in color, but I see definite potential for the future! Thinking back on all I've read and seen in the forum, these bulbs can bloom each year with subtle differences, depending on environment and care... I see a great beauty in the making!

• paxfleur
    15 years ago

'Magic Green' definitely improved in size this season. Last season, the flowers were blehhh. This season however, the flowers are huge!

{{gwi:413415}}

I definitely see some 'Papilio' somewhere in it's heritage....

{{gwi:413416}}

Compare buds (Magic Green buds in the back, Papilio bud in the front *Papilio bud is bigger*)

{{gwi:413417}}

• mariava7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lovely Pax! My Magic Green got sick last season. Oh well, we can only do so much...right?

What a coincidence that you bumped up this thread. I caught somebody in Ebay Taiwan using the 6th picture of Magic Green above. I am so tired of dealing with this stolen pics on ebay. There was no way I could report it for it was in Chinese...LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stolen Magic Green pic in Ebay Taiwan

• paxfleur
    15 years ago

Maria - How sick did your 'Magic Green' get? Did it get terminally sick?

DON'T GIVE UP! We have to be persistent to get these photo thieves to stop! I was one of the "mean friends" that emailed that pompous eBay seller who stole your photos recently. In regards to the language barrier, refer to:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Maria, stealing is plain wrong -- whether it's in Taiwan, Alaska, or Samoa...wherever. I will be sure to somehow shoot a email to the Taiwanese seller when I have time but you must be tenacious about this. Fighting! ^^

• mariava7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A fungus got it while it was overwintering last season. A tiny part of the bulb was left after I cleaned it up. It is just recovering and here comes winter again. I don't know how it will go through this winter...that is if it survives. I LOVED this Magic Green as it has this huge blooms with "simple beauty". I got a Magic Green coming in from WFF (care of Soultan). I hope it will be the same MG. Liza's picture of her MG that came from WWF last season was different looking.

• taz56
    15 years ago

Those are just beautiful!
    Susan

• gmwill
    15 years ago

Maria,

While I am researchig my 'White Dazzler', I bumped into here as it seems to be a 'Magic Green' instead. With regard to Taiwan eBay issue, what do you want to do? I am new to the Web and do not much about handling this sort of things, but certainly not new to the Chinese language.

Will be glad to help.

• e36yellowm3
    15 years ago

Maria, they're all so nice. Magic Green is just perfect. It's interesting how your Dancing Queen seems to have her flower facing up a bit. Is that the way it bloomed, or is it held up that way? Looks nice - very cool. Alana

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Maria-

Where are you stranger? We MISS you and all your gorgeous photos and info! Hope all is well!

I HAVE to acquire this Magic Green...all the photos are stunning!

-Frank

• mariava7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm here! I'm here!!!

I am just very busy but I do peak in most of the time. I just don't have time to respond and post pics that much anymore.

gmwill...I got tired pursuing those criminals..lol! Just forgive and forget.

Alana...Wow! This post is so old, way back in 2007. BUT that particular dancing Queen sure is still dancin' LOL! I love Dancing Queen....a constant performer and a giver. It does not always face upward. Sometimes it's first bloom for the season would do that but then eventually face forward with the weight of those loads of petals.

Frank...Awwww....I miss you guys too! I am really really trying to budget my time between my real family, hippie family and forum family.

Now this is WFF's Magic Green. It sure does not look like my first MG. Arrrggghhh! It is still pretty though. It does have those maroon dots/markings. But where did the green go??? LOL!
    {{gwi:413418}}

• gmwill
    15 years ago

Maria, Welcome back! Like your attitude and can certainly have felt the energy coming from you! Thank you very much for helping brightening our world.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Well, I'm not sure how I missed this post, but I'm here to say that I miss you, too, Maria! You're my mentor, my teacher... your photography is so wonderful that every bloom you show, I immediately jot down on my wish list! I know how busy life is... it's tough to balance all the things we want to do within a 24 hour time frame! It's very good to see you posting, though!

I, too, notice a marked difference in your old and your new Magic Green... different growers/suppliers, perhaps? It's unfortunate, but with popularity comes the inevitable downgrade in quality. This is true for anything, bulbs and flowers being no different. Once an item hits the spotlight, everyone rushes to cash in, and the quality of the item suffers.

I hope you're able to find a Magic Green that looks like the older model... what a beauty! And I do hope your original Magic Green survives and thrives!

All the above photos are wonderful... thanks to everyone who shared!

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Mine is still bright green with maroon. I am getting a 2nd duece of flowers on the first scape. So far Frankie-for you bbuubbee, I have Crossed MG both ways with Exotic Star and also selfed it. We will see what is in bloom with the 2nd 2 flowers...I am looking at a big bud on Vera and my ever-loving San Remo is sporting too!! I also have saved pollen from Donau and Flamingo...hmmm what about the lil orangy flower by the A/C? It has pollen.... I will share seeds or grow some for you Frank, my man!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Speaking of green... I have an Emerald sitting here... and that's all it's doing... just sitting here. It's been siting here in its pot since... gosh, I can't remember how long it's been! A long time!

I moved it to the heating pad, and it still appears to be sleeping... if it were a person, it would be in REM sleep! It would be snoring! There is NO sign of growth at all, though the bulb is still firm and alive. What gives? Does anyone have any ideas about waking up a bulb? Or is it simply a matter of patience?

Cindee, those crosses sound nice... I wish you success! I took Bogota pollen to Exotic Star, and it looks like it might be doing something! It's too soon to say for sure, but I'm hopeful!

• ton2
    13 years ago

What a very nice colours. I am a private collector in Holland.
    I am curious where did you get/biy this Amaryllis?
    I am very interested in this one.
    I hope you can tell me.

Thank you
    Ton

The Netherlands

• haweha
    13 years ago

I presume that "MagicGreen" and "Melusine" are siblings.
    Note, that I refer to the true "Melusine" that came into existence before "Rembrandt van Rijn" would replace this vigorous hybrid.

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Interesting reading old threads brought to life. Alas I have only one seedling that lived-if I can find it-from Ex Star.

SirHans, A curtsey and wink to you my dear. Nice to see you. "Melusine" I do not have, but let us look at my Rembrandt and Magic Green together. I never considered a relationship. Mine bloom at different intervals. {{gwi:413419}}From 2009-10 Amaryllis
    {{gwi:413420}}From Amaryllis

I find it interesting how the backsides of some look more dramatic than the front sometimes.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

"Rembrandt" seems like it has the colors that "Magic Green" is missing! I wish they'd throw "Rembrandt Van Rijn" back into production, I'd love to get my hands on that one ;)

• mariava7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Family portraits to share...
    They wake up and bloom at the same time too.
    Enjoy!

{{gwi:413421}}

{{gwi:413422}}

{{gwi:413423}}

• haweha
    13 years ago

1st picture, @ 3 o'clock -
    the trumpet... is that "Striped Panther" or "Santa Fe"
    por favor!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It sure is Striped Panther Hans!
    Glad to see you around Sir!!!
    {{gwi:396930}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Lovely pictures Maria your flowers all look so vibrant and I love your Tosca, actually I love them all except maybe Magic Green...Josh I think I have to agree with you and I'll go one step further saying I'm not really in love with Magic Green like everybody else.. but RvR I do just love...Oh well, I guess that's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla and why I liked your cull....

Donna

• blancawing
    13 years ago

First of all, HELLO Cindee!!! Big Hugs to you and Dennis.

Secondly, ah come on Donna and Josh.I can understand why you two love RVR, but now my Magic Green is feeling quite dejected.

She would feel much better with just a tiny bit of admiration.

But just in case you cannot love MG, I included two old shots of RVR. Sorry that I haven't snapped her lately, but I prioritized pollination over enjoying her blooms.

Best,

Blanca

Magic Green
    {{gwi:394009}}

Rembrandt Van Rijn (just opening)
    {{gwi:413424}}

Rembrandt Van Rijn (a few days later...petals getting wavy)
    {{gwi:413425}}

13 years ago

Dear Blanca,

You can made even a hmmm "plain Jane" look beautiful...! No offense to any Janes out there...

Donna

• cindeea
    13 years ago

((((Blanca))) Hello my dear! Your photos are always wonderful.
    Maria, your "family of flowers" is delightful. I especially LOVE the frist photo. Striped Panther is AWESOME! I lost the little seedling you sent me after last springs rains drowned it. **sob**

• mariava7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awwwwww...
    No worries Cindee.
    I'm pretty sure I got a seedling of this somewhere.
    Will take note of it and send you some.

If not, I'll pollinate flowers this season for you.
    and send you "X Striped Panther" seeds.

Blanca (((((BIG HUGS)))))

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Ohhh Dear, Maria, I wasn't begging MORE...but I certainly won't refuse...ha ha! love ya

BTW are you collecting seeds again this year? I received a booklet from Heffer this year and was amazed at the wonderful work they do. If you are, I will pollinate EVERYTHING in sight for them. Also, will they take viable, fresh veg seeds? I usually have a lot left over each season.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Blanca,

Beautiful pictures :) Your "Magic Green" looks like it's starting to grow some extra tepals?

13 years ago

Yes, I too was wondering if you will be collecting seeds again this year...I love to pollenate, but love to find good homes for the seeds....

Donna

• mariava7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last year, I got to launch "100 Seeds For a Heifer" for Thanksgiving. I cannot do that this Thanksgiving though.
    I don't have much seeds either.

Now if you all would work out with me, I'd be glad to launch it hopefully for Christmas? Save some of your best seeds for "a Heifer"???

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Maria, you most certainly can count on me. For new folks, and as a refresher, give us the details of what kinds of seeds, what condition etc. so we can make this a successful seed Christmas! Maybe start a new post.

• mariava7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately I can't Cindee. Some people think it's a form of "soliciting" which is against GW rules. :-(

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Maria, that stinks, but you let me know how I can help you out this year! You have my email.

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Maria,

Thank you sweetie. I really needed that delightful hug!

If I am blessed with viable seeds, I will most definitely contribute.

Josh,

You are correct. This MG bulb is included in my file of oddities. I just had Santa Cruz do something similar.

Just to give you an idea, here is a closer shot, but the quality is not very good. If I could capture her true beauty, I think that you would all like her as much as I do.

I may have something exciting coming along, but you never know for sure until it actually happens?

-B

{{gwi:394010}}

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms