Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat stress

Posted by brigarif Lahore Pakistan (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 1:39

When ambient temperature is 46-48C even an hour or two of sun, burns the leaves
My poor Hippies
Two hours of morning sun only

Those in foreground are under the shade of Imli tree, those in the back ground are exposed to morning sun

Arif

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat stress

That happens to mine too. Doesn't seem to really harm them all that much, just makes them ugly. For the ones I have in full sun, I've intermixed clumps of hippeastrum with clumps of Curcuma alismatifolia. It works great! They are dormant when the hippis bloom, so they don't obscure the show. They come up around June and the foliage is big enough to shade the hippis a bit, but not shade them out. Will try to find a photo later. What happened to all your great sunshades?

o

Remembered I posted those pics in another thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Companions

o

These are the ones exposed to only two hours of morning sun but now even these are under net.

o

Wow - harsh! I'm glad it doesn't get quite that hot here! Glad you have the nets to protect them!

o

Very harsh... they do look a little sun-crisped! That's a great idea, finding another plant type to intermix for a little shade/protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here