9 years ago

Is this bulb root bound
{{gwi:413606}}
Arif

Comments (5)

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Hello, Sir! Been a long time! :-)

I would pot it up into a larger pot, yes... I'd probably give it at least a 2 inch increase, probably 3.

I would rinse away the leftover medium and get rid of any dead roots.. especially at the center of the rootball. I'd also check the basal plate while I had it un-potted, to make sure it's healthy and not carrying dead layers... the usual potting routine.

That's what I would do,,, what do you guys think?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Well, being the lazy person that I am I would probably leave this bulb in its current pot for another year or so..I see you already have an inch or more from the outside of the bulb to the edge of the pot so, If I were so inclined to re-pot it, (I see lots of healthy green leaves), I would probably put it in a slightly larger pot but not too much larger. I think I could pull out most of my bulbs and find that they have a root system like yours but I would probably only re-pot them if I detected some problems with the bulb's performance possibly due to an overgrown basal plate or for the separation of good sized offsets. Of course this is just my personal opinion and I'm not really fond of re-potting bulbs that seem to be doing well and larger pots are just that much more cumbersome to move around (for me anyway).âºâºâº Just my opinion of course....

Donna

• macroclemys
    9 years ago

That looks like a very healthy root system. This amount of crowding of the roots should not be a problem if you supply it with enough water and nutrients.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a Papilio bulb which had two scapes this year with an interval of 4 weeks.It is in a 14 inch pot the largest I use for one to four bulbs.
    Most pictures I see in this forum the pot is usually much smaller, so last Year I used 10 inch pots, the result was not so satisfactory, may be due to some other factors. All my pots are out door and go through stress of heat and cold and some time improper watering.
    Arif

• lomodor
    9 years ago

ive always had it in my head..amaryllis are ok with a crowded pot..
    im finding and hearing from other amaryllis enthusiasts that bigger bulbs are produced with bigger pots..not huge..but give the bulbs room..
    so ive repotted my butterfly bulbs in 3X size larger pots..
    im hoping for HUGE bulbs..and BIG flowers..:)
    goes without saying..repotting with fresh potting mix,good watering,light,and fertilizing is important too..
    good luck..and let us know how things go.....