Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

Hippeastrums my Passion

brigarif Khan
11 years ago

I fell in love with the plant about 20 years ago starting with 4 bulbs.

I imported some from USA, Purchased some from local importers and came to know some local Hippeastrum fans and started my own breeding programme.

Since then I sow seeds every year and sort them 4th year.

Seed sowing May 2012

{{gwi:413641}}From Misc 2012
{{gwi:413642}}From Misc 2012

Seedlings of May 2011
{{gwi:413643}}From Misc 2012

Seedlings of May 2010 (a few bloomed this year)

{{gwi:413644}}From Misc 2012

A few Seedlings of 2009 (all bloomed)
{{gwi:413645}}From Misc 2012

Most of my bulbs get transferred to my Arches hotel gardens and only a few selected ones are at my house.

Way back Sir, Hans cautioned me that it will not be possible for me to grow presentable Hippies. I am happy that I continued.

Arif

Comments (18)

• npublici
    11 years ago

Arif,you have shown some of the most beautiful blooms I have ever seen.It is beginning to look like everyone will have to
    deal with the mosaic virus,which most of the sellers have distributed.
    So within a few short years,most of us will have it and only the resistant varieties will not have it.
    Del

• snowdogmama
    11 years ago

Arif, Do you cover your seeds with soil or let the seedlings seek the soil?

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This year I am using 70% Peat + 30% perlite and have covered the seeds with the same.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

My climate conditions are similar to Arif's and I start mine in identical fashion. Like Arif, I cover them with a minimal amount of mix.

Arif, thank you for taking the time to post your photos! I always love to see processes behind the scenes.

Do you leave the cell-packs in shade or move them to sun? I have to start mine inside a screened-in porch due to birds and squirrels. If they had access, they would eat the seeds right out of the starter packs. My seeds are in morning shade and get full afternoon sun, as the porch faces due west. Seedlings are all coming up.

Carol

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Carol
    They are outside under a shade screen.
    Arif

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

how are the seedlings comeing along

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Thanks for the great pictures on your process! Really neat to see all the different stages!

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seediling as today,colckwise, Gerbera, Rain lily and Amaryllis.
    {{gwi:413646}}From Misc 2012

Beds protected fron burning sun. {{gwi:413647}}From Misc 2012

Arif

• hippiezep
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting the photo-essay. You have a very fine resource there and can look forward to seeing those exciting new individuals emerging from the various cross pollinations

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

That shade screen is amazing! A lot of work you go to to protect your plants in summer. Can water go through that cloth? Just curious if rainstorms cause it to sag. Tropical storms tend to dump a lot of water on my garden in summer, I'd be worried such a screen would get knocked down in a deluge.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are just make shift arrangement better arrangements are being made.

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Would love to see pics of your new shelter when you have it in place.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shades for Amaryllis and Daylilies are up but some damage has already occurred. In future these will be erected on 1st of May and removed 30th Sept.
    {{gwi:413648}}From Misc 2012
    {{gwi:413649}}From Misc 2012
    {{gwi:413650}}From Misc 2012

Arif

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

These pictures are so wonderful to see. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share them with us. They're really fun to see. Your dedication to these plants is admirable, and the results you get are great. Definitely keep the photos of seeds, seedlings, plants and blooms coming! You have an eager audience on this forum.

Take care and thanks again!
    Grant

• Ratan_AM
    11 years ago

Very Beautiful :)

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Those are great Arif - very professional looking! Thanks for sharing pictures of the updated shelters.

I have intermixed some of my hippeastrums in full sun with Curcuma alismatifolia. The goal was that I could have some blooms for more of the year. That is working great, but it also has the nice side effect that the curcuma foliage is just slightly taller than the hippeastrum foliage, and is giving them a bit of shade. The hippeastrums mixed in with the curcumas look healthier than the patches planted by themselves, which are showing leaf damage from too much sun exposure. Too soon to say if it is a good long term technique, but seems to be showing some promise.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for your photos and the information on your sowing and growing process. It is all very interesting.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good idea of combination planting, do they have the same water requirement?

Sponsored
More Discussions