Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Landscaping with Hippeastrum

sun_worshiper
10 years ago

Hi all, thought I'd share some of my outdoor hippeastrum growing adventure with you. I have been moving test plants around for 3 years, figuring out what likes where in my yard, and growing lots of seedlings. This spring was the great re-arrange=)

I have created an amaryllid garden in the bed that surrounds the screen room around my pool. I have filled it with hippeastrum, crinum, lycoris, scadoxus, rhodophiala bifida and multiple kinds of rain lilies.

Lovely blank slate. Everything out but my "seedmaker" hippeastrums and crinums that hate to be moved. Brought in a layer of good compost to amend the soil.
{{gwi:414306}}
{{gwi:414308}}
{{gwi:414311}}

Now the fun part - planting! Here are my trays jammed with year old Hippeastrum seedlings. Hard to see in the pictures, but each row is carefully labeled with what it is. Donna, all the seeds you sent me are growing in here. Dan, I saved all the seed that your striatum bulb produced when it flowered, and there are about 20 striatum seedlings in here too. Jim, I was only able to get 2 of the aulicum seeds to grow, but both are very healthy. The rest of the trays are filled with seed from other local gardeners. Thank you all so much for sharing!

{{gwi:414313}}

{{gwi:414315}}

The President Johnson get the prize for making the biggest, most robust bulbs:
{{gwi:414317}}

And here is the final planting:
{{gwi:414318}}
{{gwi:414319}}
{{gwi:414320}}
{{gwi:414322}}

I have planted the different varieties in big drifts, so it should look amazing when they are all blooming size. The hippeastrums largely are around the outer border, and the inside next to the screen is mainly rain lilies. One of the neat things about the rain lilies is that with their summer bloom, they are right at eye level when in the pool=)

I also experimented with a small scale direct in ground planting last year, and had a good germination rate. So this year I went full scale in the front yard where I just completed a big landscaping project.

I dug down through the landscaping bark to make trenches, and direct planted hippeastrum seeds I collected from my "seedmaker" pods around the screen room. I covered them with the very thinnest layer of soil. I planted approximately 700 seeds!

{{gwi:414324}}

It took about a month for them to germinate, but they are doing well. Here's what they look like now:
{{gwi:414326}}

And here's what the full landscape transformation around that area looks like. Here' is "before":
{{gwi:414327}}
{{gwi:414329}}
{{gwi:414332}}

Again, taken down to blank slate:
{{gwi:414334}}

And here's "after":
{{gwi:414336}}
{{gwi:414338}}

Happy gardening everyone!

Comments (8)

• macroclemys
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice! I am so envious.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Oh Angela!!

How wonderful to see your beautifully done pictorial of your gorgeous gardens and your lovely home! You would make us all want to move to Fla if we hadn't already endured 4 days of suffocating heat and humidity up North this past weekend...

In a few years your yard will be just a glorious blaze of color and then what will you do? Will a consummate landscape gardener such as yourself be satisfied until every blade of grass is turned into a garden?

Were those President Johnsons from me as I know I had some but can't remember who i sent the to! All your seedlings look great!

Donna

• ckjudd
    10 years ago

Looks 'BEAUTIFUL'........I'm curious as to what some of the other things are that you have planted in your front bed under the tree. Again it looks 'GREAT'

Cindy

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

WOW!! I am redoing the backyard beds this summer so that I can plant directly in the ground. Know that it will produce better results than growing in pots. Can't wait to see your photos from the end of this summer!

I went to a Caladium workshop and field trial (grading) last weekend, and of course came home and ordered 30 jumbo bulbs! (Expanding my plant comfort zone)
    K

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the enthusiastic compliments!

Yes, Donna, the President Johnson's are yours. I also had good luck with your ebay #2, Charisma and I even got 2 of the exotica x mocca to grow! You are right about the heat+humidity! I was questioning my sanity a bit when I was out planting seedlings when it was 85 degrees and 100% humidity - lol. And that was at 9am. The heat index for later that day was 107! I think I'm about maxed out on how much garden I can tend - so I think the remaining grass is safe=) At least for now...

Cindy, thanks for your interest in the other plants. Starting at the back and moving forward, the red leaves are cannas, the lily pad looking things are Farfugium japonicum 'Giganteum' (Giant Leopard Plant), the spiky green ones are Iris Neomarica caerulea 'Regina' (giant brazilian iris), the bright red leaves are caladiums, and all of the rosette shaped plants in front are different types of bromeliads. And the blue blooms on the left are agapanthus. And there are several types of crinums in there that are hard to spot now. But they will grow in big in a year or two. The bright green vase like plants in the area that is underplanted with the hippeastrum seedlings is also a type of bromeliad. Moving from the north, the plants here all seem so exotic - very fun to landscape with! But amazingly, many of them are very easy care and low effort.

Ooh, have fun Kristy! I bet your caladium bulbs will be fabulous. They are great plants! Very showing and easy to grow here.

• bunnynomnom
    10 years ago

Hi Angela,

Wow, very lovely pictures of a beautiful well-kept place. I especially love the last one with all the caladiums, banana (or cannas?) and pineapple (?), great composition as a gardener/photographer. I'm curious about the soil mixture to germinate your seedlings in the ground. You seem to have the bark mix there. Did you have potting soil or coco coir in there too?

My

• ckjudd
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing. My SESE went out today. Being a newbie to florida gardening I'm learning so much from so many here and for that I am so greatful! Hoping my shaded area will look half as nice once I can get it growing.

Cindy

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you My. The picture has cannas rather than bananas, and bromeliads that are not pineapples but are in the same plant family. As for soil, my native soil is essentially all sand. So drainage is excellent, but there are almost no nutrients. To prepare the beds, I did it on a large scale. We brought in 4 yards of compost, and topped each bed with 3-4 inches of compost (thank you hubby for the manual labor!). Here in FL, the weeds grow like mad if you just leave exposed rich compost. So I put down Pine Bark Fines on top of that 2-4 inches thick. I think we brought in 8 yards of that - we did these new beds as well as refreshing older beds. The pine is a great weed suppressant, and eventually breaks down in to a soil enriching component. The hippeastrum seeds won't germinate in the bark itself, nor would they be able to come up easily through 2-4 inches of bark on top the soil. So I scooped the bark back to bare compost in the spots where I wanted to sow my seeds. The thin layer of bark that has floated down off the ridges on top of the seeds was actually pushed there by rainfall. But doesn't seem that such a thin covering is causing the seeds difficulty. So I think that as long as your garden soil holds moisture, you should be able to germinate seeds in it just fine, with no amendments needed.

Cindy - I'll be on the lookout for your envelope.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions