Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

new bud for PapExStasy??

Hi,

My PapExStasy is sending up what appears to be another bud from exactly the same spot as the last one. Deep inside the depression where the last stalk came from there is some sort of thick protrusion emerging. Is this common for a bulb to bloom a second time from exactly the same spot? I wonder if it will be a normal bloom or one of those shorties...It's been sulking since it's first blooming or resting if you'd rather.. never even grew another leaf but the bulb is still as hard as a rock..the last bloom was in Nov 2012.

Donna

Comments (22)

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

That is very interesting - keep us posted on what happens!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Could it be an offset...maybe the bulb will split. Hmm, I don't see the "notch".
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

More flowers to enjoy if ever!
    Could be a bulbil likewise.

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

Hmmm... it will be interesting to see what comes of this... flowers or a new bulb? Either one would be a good thing! -Tina

10 years ago

Yes Donna.... It's been a couple of weeks. What's happened with it?
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well... it's not doing much of anything. It's grown a tiny bit and the protrusion on the back of the protrusion is drying up but the "thing" itself is thick and green. The last leaf on the bulb is drying up and there don't seem to be any more coming for a while and... it's got 3 offsets, the normal way! All of your guesses are as good as mine!
    This picture was taken this morning...

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Donna,

What do the roots look like?
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

I've never had this bulb out of this pot. It's been in here for about 2 to 3 years along with 3 other siblings that have yet to bloom. I planted all the (about 15) seedlings from this cross in about 4 different pots, 3 to 5 bulbs per pot. All were about the size of a marble when they were planted. Some of them might just be offsets but I won't know who's attached to whom until I start digging. I know I should separate the bulbs but I haven't yet mustered up the courage to rip this bulb from its safe haven and disturb it's roots.
    To answer your question, I'm pretty sure the roots look fine...the other 3 bulbs in this pot are doing OK, one might be large enough to bloom next season...and I have another large one in another community pot that might bloom too. ;-). The seedlings are all different sizes..some the size of a walnut and some about the size of a good sized lemon...

Maybe as someone suggested the bulb is wanting to split...time will tell I guess.

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Donna...Did this bloom right in the very center of it's leave's growing point? I mean it's scape grew out in between the center left and right leaves?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Maria, Yes, it appeared to bloom normally, between the leaves. Here is a picture of when the bud first emerged and it had many leaves. Now it just has it's last remaining leaf that is fading with no apparent new ones yet..must be wanting to take a siesta?? Whatever this growth is it is progressing very very slowly.

Donna

{{gwi:414398}}

{{gwi:414399}}

{{gwi:414400}}

I think everything appears to be normal....and with the 3 offsets I think I may have a pot full of PapExStasys in a few years! Maybe I'll even luck out and get more than two flowers, but I'll be satisfied with the two... :-)

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Donna,

I don't blame you for not wanting to disturb this bulb - the flower is outstanding!
    -J

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Now I see why. Sometimes when big/thick scapes come out from the very center (or almost) of the bulbs, they kinda mess up the growing point of the leaves inside the bulb. There is only so much space in there. This happens with clivias likewise. Some would regrow their center leaves and some would grow 2/3 new growing points thus the bulb splitting eventually. Some commercial growers immediately cut off flowers from first bloomers to avoid this.
    At this point, I would hope that it is regrowing it's center leaves. Another scape from such a young and now leafless bulb would definitely be stressful for it. Besides trying to take care of itself, the mother bulb is likewise feeding 3 offsets. Perhaps it's time to repot? 2-3 year old potting soil would not have much nutrients anymore for that family.

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Maria,

Thanks for sharing that information with all of us! That is something I will now watch for.
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'm going to try to muster up the courage to repot it soon and when I do I'll post pictures of the event...;-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, alright guys I did it!! It was easier than I thought, it came right out of the pot and I was able to tease the roots apart with a minimum of breakage.

Out of the pot:

{{gwi:414401}}

with a bit of teasing...

{{gwi:414402}}

separated from siblings..note the largest offset seems to look like an acorn growing out of a cap, wonder why that is?

{{gwi:414403}}

a good sized sibling that was totally buried under the soil..

{{gwi:414404}}

the 3 pot mates.. notice the different shapes and sizes...

{{gwi:414405}}

PapExStasy and offsets repotted, there were actually 4 offsets not counting the strange growth. Strange that none of the other 3 pot mates had any offsets whatsoever...

{{gwi:414406}}

and, the 3 pot mates once again sharing a community pot, all now visibly above the soil.

{{gwi:414407}}

Now I should have been doing housework instead of this but you guys know how this works!!

Donna

10 years ago

Wow....that's a vigourous cross! Looks like one offset (still attached to mother bulb) already has an offset!
    K

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I guess PapExStasy enjoyed the re-potting. I guess this is a bulblet/offset as now it has showing a leaf growing from the growth. the leaf is quite thick. I'm not particularly happy that this bulb has turned into a baby making machine, I'm afraid it will never bloom again!!

What would make it do this? All the other siblings appear to be normal with just a couple with possibly one offset but I've never seen anything like this.. have any of you?

Donna

• snarfie
    10 years ago

maybe the growing point was damaged, so it made sort of a replacement (or more ;))

Original Author
    10 years ago

I suppose anything is possible but this pot of bulbs has been living the Life of Reilly sitting in my sunny bay window for over 2 years with no stress or worries of any kind. Never having to worry about water or where it's next meal was coming from..

10 years ago

Well, it's happy and prolific. There are worse things!! (so glad I won the pool!!)
    ;-)
    K

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, you guys were right, it's a bulblet/offset springing right from the center of the bulb. Will be interesting to see if this bulb splits in the near future. The leaf has a bit of a fold on one side like there isn't enough room for it to emerge...Oh well, looks like PapExStasy only wants to have babies...Hopefully I'll get another bloom next year. I can't see any leaves emerging from the original bulb yet...

Donna

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

Really interesting thread! The bulb in the last photo will probably split, but that just adds more bulbs to the "family"!

Sponsored
More Discussions