Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Lavender Blue is blooming!!

Hi Everyone,

Here are a few pictures of my Lavender Blue that finally decided to bloom.. worth the wait..Not really blue... but maybe a nicely veined lavender pink?? Anyway, see what you think..3 flowers (only 2 will bloom) on a 3" stalk.. the flowers are 5" and there is a "hint" of a fragrance..maybe bigger and better the next time..

Donna

{{gwi:414539}}

{{gwi:414540}}

{{gwi:414541}}

Comments (13)

• hippiezep
    12 years ago

The marketing team that gave it that name is pretty bold to be sure. Beautiful flowers and stunning pictures

Geoff

• ajsblu_eyes
    12 years ago

I'm sure she will only look better next year! I'm guessing you are going to try and get some seeds, yes? If so what are you going to cross her with?

AJ

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

AJ,

Well, I really wasn't going to do anymore seedpods, but you know how it is...I selfed one and put Envy on the other. Time will tell if the plant is strong enough to carry both pods..If you're interested, I'd be glad to share some with you...if and when the time comes....

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Donna, what a great picture- I love the pink against the bright blue sky. All in all a nice bloom. I really like it!

Alana

• ajsblu_eyes
    12 years ago

Donna,

I read your message and just had to laugh at myself because if you do get seeds I would be interested in some. Even though I told myself not days before I did not need any more bulbs or seeds. :)

I am so baaaad! But I do so enjoy this wonderful world of Hippeastrum!

Original Author
    12 years ago

OK AJ,

I'll keep you posted.. and, by the way, my small mandonii after loosing several leaves has settled in and is now producing healthy new leaves..albeit very slowly...

Donna

• ajsblu_eyes
    12 years ago

Yeah! Donna I'm so glad to hear your mandonii is doing well. I wanted to ask about it but didn't want to be a nag or too nosy. :)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Woohoo Donna, you're starting on species :) I promise you, once it blooms you'll be hooked!

How big is it?

I know H. mandonii is quite difficult to grow compared to some of the others, it doesn't like too much water as it is from arid regions in Bolivia. They grow close to water sources tho so they DO need SOME water ;)

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well Josh, it's very small..and not growing all that well. When I bought it on Ebay, I didn't think it was going to live, as it dropped 3 of it's 4 leaves and then finally started to grow a new one..but now the last remaining older leaf is starting to brown..maybe it is, as you say, too wet, I'll remember to keep it on the dry side..if it's not too late...

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Donna, how small was it when you bought it? What kind of medium are you using? These are pretty difficult to grow honestly but SO worth it. Just nurture it as it's worth it!

Let me know what size the bulb is or an idea, the soil type and what kind of pot, I'll try to help you save it!

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh,

The bulb is about the size of a "small" golf ball and it is in a clay pot with at least half of the bulb out of the soil which is in a coarse mix with lots of pigeon grit that I use for all my hippies. It arrived with several decent healthy looking roots, so I do think it has continued to root, but I haven't attempted to pull it from it's pot as I hesitate to disturbe it. It drains well and dries out fast. It has one good leaf.. normal size.. and a new leaf that is about 4". We've had such cold rainy lousy weather here in the North East that I am constantly moving it into what sun we do have and bringing it in when there is a threat of 3-4 days of rain, which we have been having a lot of lately. I have fed it with some Osmocote pellets 14-14-14 (I think) as I have used on my other pots this season. I do get sick of hand feeding with liquid fertilizer. So, the sun is poking it's head out today so out it goes...

Donna

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

Hey Donna, good on ya.
    Do you recall the name of the e-bay seller?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Pat,

The name is danceeightysix and she was from California, and she sold a slew of these bulbs over a period of a month or so..all different sizes. I was cheap, so I got one of the $24 bulbs..and as you can imagine, the larger bulbs, some with flower spikes, went for a considerable amount of money! If mine lives I will be very happy, since I want to use it with papilio..

Donna

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz