Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqui_kam

No signs of life

jacqui.kam
12 years ago

Hi Donna, Kristi et al. No signs of life yet from my planted seeds, except some tiny green seed leaves which could be weeds. What will I expect to see?

Also my main bulb got nearly drowned in the torrential rain storms we have been having, (no twisters thank goodness!) I have put her out in the sun today. Jacqui

Comments (6)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Jacqui,

I guess I'd say by this time it IS too late for your seeds. If you weren't so far away, I'd mail you some. Sometimes you get a summer bloom from a plant that had already bloomed earlier..maybe you'll get one and you can try again...and, there's always next year! Sorry,..

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Jacqui,

In all reality you would've only get reds or oranges from this batch and in my opinion it isn't worth the time it takes to bloom from seed considering you can just by others to bloom immediately instead of waiting 3-4 years for mediocre flowers.

I think it's exciting to grow from seed if it's an experimental cross of Hippeastrum that could leave a wide window for energetic or unusual flowers.

Also, selfing plants is usually a let down as they may produce but it may not viable or it wont produce at all! This coming season I think you should buy a few different hybrids and try crossbreeding! Remember, reds x most others will result in a red or orange flower.

Josh

• jacqui.kam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Donna and Josh, on your advice I have chucked the lot. The main bulb is still looking good. Jacqui

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Jacqui,

I'm sorry that they didn't work out :( It's usually easier crossing two different bulbs and you hardly ever know what you're going to get :)

I'm not really sure what kind of flowers you're wanting to create but know the sky is the limit! You can try trumpet forms, cybister forms, petite flowers or absolutely HUGE and the colors are almost endless with Hippeastrum!

I'm most excited for my H. reticulatum cross with 'Graffiti', some have the white stripe down the leaves and I'm so excited to see how beautiful the flowers will be!

Jacqui, do you grow H. papilio? If not you should google it, it's beautiful and would make some LOVELY crosses!

By the way, I'd love to see pictures of main bulb and how it's doing now ;)

Josh

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Sorry Jacqui...I've been out of town with no access to email. The seedlings of Hippeastrum are a single long leaf. Shortly, a second leaf will grow from the base. They look like very miniature adults, complete with a tiny bulb in the soil. Maybe this fall I can send you some little seedlings from my bulbs. I know you must be disappointed, as it's special to grow your own seedlings, regardless of what colors you like.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, but it looks like several chimed in!

Stay dry (or send some of that rain to Texas please!).
    Kristi

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Dear Jacqui,
    I made an exciting cross. The seeds had no odd marks on them and we fat and plump. I floated them the usual way and got 0% germination. This was the first time that this had happened to me....so I feel your angst!

Take care!
    Kristi

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions