Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

A Few New Photos...

jodik_gw
15 years ago

I just hope I'm not boring everyone with my garden photos spreads... I know they're not Hippeastrums, but it's all so pretty that I just can't resist sharing it with all of you!

This is the latest photo group from the gardens... enjoy!

A lovely pink Daylily...

{{gwi:414798}}

Some really pink Daylilies...

{{gwi:414799}}

And a few more...

{{gwi:414800}}

This one is growing under the Asclepias...

{{gwi:414801}}

A new red Geum I'm adding to the garden...

{{gwi:414802}}

Red Monarda beginning to open...

{{gwi:414803}}

Rudbeckia and Hyssop...

{{gwi:414804}}

Orange Lilies and Gaillardia...

{{gwi:414805}}

The Yucca looks good now...

{{gwi:414806}}

A closer look, with Monarda behind...

{{gwi:414807}}

A pink mini and a sterling pink Rose...

{{gwi:414808}}

Burgundy Iceberg Roses...

{{gwi:414809}}

And this is that Red Mini Rose that just won't quit!

{{gwi:414810}}

I hope you enjoyed seeing my gardens as much as I enjoy sharing it all with you! I'm sorry they're not the Hippeastrum blooms that you'd prefer to see, but I have none in bloom right now...

Happy Gardening!

Comments (14)

• haxuan
    15 years ago

I do enjoy looking at your lovely blooms. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful flowers with us.

Xuan

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

You know, the yucca is so pretty close up. Around here they are pretty common but you only ever see them from a distance and you can't appreciate the blooms that way. I have two of the variegated ones, but they have not bloomed yet.

The monarda is pretty - and mildew free! That mound is just the perfect shape.

I like the Rudbeckia and Hyssop combo... I think my hyssop would appreciate more sun. Is that the giant yellow one or the purple one?

• jstropic (10a)
    15 years ago

Jodi,

I really enjoy looking at your garden. You have done so much work and you have most deservedly been rewarded well. The yocca is incredible and your miniature roses are gorgeous. Thanks for taking the time to share these treasures.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! That Yucca was a single leafed, one rooted baby offset two years ago... I'm very surprised that it flowered! The blooms are really wonderful up close. I wish I could grow some of the other varieties, but I think the winters are too cold here. I saw a photo of one from California that was purple and white, and soooo gorgeous! But, it grows 9 feet tall and just about as wide, according to the information, and is not cold hardy.

The Monarda had a touch of mildew last year, but this year, we've been lucky... so far!

And, I believe the Hyssop is just the regular old white flowered herbal variety. I'm not even sure how it got to be in that particular bed... I had it planted in another spot, but it took over, so I ripped it out... some plants just refuse to die out in a garden! It does make a nice backdrop for other flowers, though.

Thanks, Jody! The Mini Roses are truly treasures... they're rather inexpensive, come in tons of varieties, and are mostly very cold hardy! That Red Mini was a no-name from WalMart or Lowe's that cost a whole dollar and fifty cents, I believe, and it just gets better and better as the years go by!

I really wish I had some bulbs in bloom to share... but next spring, I should be swimming in hippeastrum blooms!

• abby11
    15 years ago

What a treasure Red Mini is such a small bush and so many flowers. Some of the larger varieties could learn a bit from this pettite little rose.

Looking toward your spring hippie pix

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Abby! And to think that we bought that little rose from a sale table at Lowe's, I think it was... you just never know where the next garden "treasure" will come from! Who knew that this little red rose would grow up to be such a beauty?! And every year, it gains a little size, and blooms a little more! This is why I love the minis so much!

• hippeastrumadmirer
    15 years ago

Hey jodi why not try crossbreeding and ussing your pink day lily's pollen with a hippeastrum and see were it goes. Maybe your name will be in a book!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure they'd even cross... are Daylilies even members of the Amaryllid family? It couldn't hurt to try it just to see, though... I highly doubt anything would come of it. Daylilies are so confusing when it comes to ploidy.

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Sweet Jodi,

I only thought that daylily ploidy was confusing until I started studying Hippie ploidy.

Crinum? Now, that is a different story. Perhaps, just perhaps one day, I may try those crosses, but gee! They are even more difficult than daylilies and hippeastrum when it comes to compatibility and fertility.

Anyway, it is fun to try...

Ann

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes it is, Ann! I did have some good luck last year selfing and crossing a few of my Daylilies, although... the bees were helping me, so I'm not really sure who got the seed pods to form, or what mysteries they contain!

I do love Daylilies, but Hippeastrum and Amaryllid bulbs are my passion!

• taz56
    15 years ago

Very pretty,all of your flowers
    thanks for sharing! :)
    Susan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're welcome! There are several threads throughout the summer with photos of members' gardens... it's an off season for Hippeasrum bulbs, and so we like to share our gardens outdoors!

• larschar
    15 years ago

How could you possibly think that pictures of these gorgeous flowers would bore anyone? It's just the right pick-me-up for a cold breezy February!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I posted several threads over last summer... all are filled with garden photos! There was so much beauty outdoors, I just had to share it all!